Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
I could actually see them offering 3.5" and 4" side by side... I know several people who got the 4S in the past few months just because they thought the 4" screen on the 5 sounded too big.

"Sounded" too big? Did they actually hold one in their hands before deciding? I still have a 4S (I won't be eligible to upgrade until June) and have held friends iPhone 5's and the screen doesn't really seem that much bigger because the size only increased vertically, plus it is thinner and lighter.

I wouldn't mind if Apple offered something close to the 4.8” HD Super AMOLED™ display like on the Galaxy S3 has, but of course that would cause headaches for developers I am sure and cause more fragmentation.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I wasn't for it before, but I made a few mockups that swayed my position. I would love a blue one. But for those saying "NO", I imagine you'd still be able to get white and black, so what's the problem?

Wow that red one looks sick!!

Well if Apple is going to do implement a variety of colors and screen sizes, I hope it is done on the next update because I'm on an iPhone 5 now and I'm on a 2 year upgrade cycle. That way I'll be able to see them in stores before I get the generation after that.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I am OK with multiple colors (I will still go for a black one) but multiple screen sizes??? Man, let's not have fragmentation!

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Apple needs a 4.8" screen.
My 4" screen isnt cutting it, BUT I hate android.

If I could run the Apple OS on one of those beautiful Samsung phones, I wouldve left Apple already.

Make a 4.8" or 5.5" iPhone & a 4" model. Thats it.
No need for 3.5" anymore.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I just don't get the draw of having multiple iPhone colors. Black and white work just fine. If you want more color just put a nice skin on it which you can then change as much as you want!

Besides that it creates a nightmare for inventory control. Just too many SKUs... 3 Memory options x 4 Carrier options x ?? Colors x ?? screen sizes???

Yeah, they'd probably need a computer to keep track of all those different products numbers.

multiple colors... ehhh, maybe...

Multiple screen sizes??? do these analysts even think before they post stuff? I can think of 3 reasons of the top of my head of why Apple would never do that.

Even assuming perfect compatibility an "iPhone nano" idea is idiodic. Nobody wants a smaller iPhone

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Th 4" screen will be increased. It will be increased in proportion to the increasing length of people's thumbs over time. :)

Seriously, the larger screen is not really a design feature for a smartphone. It is a limitation that Android manufacturers have to live with to get a large enough battery in their phones along with all the other stuff that they can't miniaturize at the same time.

Actually, there is probably market for a larger iPhone, especially as it would allow a super size battery. Just the market for folks who want a huge screen in their pocket is smaller than the market of people who want the smallest sleekest smartphone they can get. But the larger iPhone certainly isn't coming out next year. I could definitely see a spec-bumb for a phone that has a smaller 3.5 screen. I don't think Apple is going to ever only offer the 4" screen.

atmc

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Porto, Portugal
If the smartphone industry continues with this tendency of continuous growing of smartphone's screen size, some day we will be transporting our 20" phone on our back. Oh wait, they are called televisions.

I really don't care that people want 5" smartphones. Good for them. But I really don't want. So, if Apple continues to laungh <= 4" phones, I am ok.

Regarding to colors, I enjoyed the new iPods with those colors, even though I am the guy who likes things clean and simple. So I think I will always prefer black or white.

SoApple

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Apple needs a 4.8" screen.
My 4" screen isnt cutting it, BUT I hate android.

If I could run the Apple OS on one of those beautiful Samsung phones, I wouldve left Apple already.

Make a 4.8" or 5.5" iPhone & a 4" model. Thats it.
No need for 3.5" anymore.

Never understood why people want a screen that big. The gs3 4.8 screen is amazing , however the drawnack is that it's massive.
Don't even get me started on the note 2. My friend got it the other day. It's almost as big as the ipad mini ( not literally though). It did fit in my pocket , but i don't really see a usefullness for a screen that oversized unless you're constantly reading pdf's or watching movies.

Last edited by a moderator:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This sounds promising. New colors and screen sizes. I'd still like to see a new iPhone in the 3.5", just like my 4S and I could even change to something other than black too.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Nothing wrong with different colors man people get bent out of shape over the littlest things. You like black or white just get a black or white one gees. Anyway the iOS is what needs work. I would like to see widgets come to the iPhone. That would certainly quite down the fandroids and give developers something new to design.

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
I could actually see them offering 3.5" and 4" side by side... I know several people who got the 4S in the past few months just because they thought the 4" screen on the 5 sounded too big.

A lot of people (girls, anyways) just get the cases for the colors, from what I can tell.

I'm a guy and I usually get a case (black) to protect it from scratches for resale value... fanboy upgrader here :)

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
The iPhone 5 is already quite big as it is, maybe if they reduced the top and bottom bezel it would be fine. I'm not a fan of phones getting bigger, they're meant to fit in your pocket after all.

Also, I think the iPod Touch looks a bit thick clunky with the square back and the colors, while the previous iPod Touch looked absolutely perfect with the smaller screen with the stainless steel rounded back that made it look and feel a lot thinner than the current one. It also gave it a much more solid and well-made feel…

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
I just don't get the draw of having multiple iPhone colors. Black and white work just fine. If you want more color just put a nice skin on it which you can then change as much as you want!

Besides that it creates a nightmare for inventory control. Just too many SKUs... 3 Memory options x 4 Carrier options x ?? Colors x ?? screen sizes???

Agreed. Not to mention the problem of producing too many of one color and not enough of the other. Still, I can see them offering multiple colors in the future. Multiple screen sizes, however, would be really stupid. I don't get the appeal of a HUGE phone. I've played around with an S3 and I find it far too bulky and cumbersome. I feel that Apple really hit the sweet spot with the iPhone 5. It's comfortable to hold, unlike the S3, fits easily in one's pocket without being awkward, unlike the S3, and still provides ample screen real estate for things I do on my smartphone.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I agree that more colors may be an option, but I wouldn't expect to see any significant physical changes until 2014. Apple has a relatively predictable pattern of using the same basic design for 2 generations (apart from the original iPhone design, which lasted only 1 generation). Plus, given all the production issues in getting the 5 up to speed, I doubt they would want to change it all again so quickly. It is a nice design that should hold up well, particularly as they perfect the process. Adding color doesn't sound too difficult, since they already essentially do that with the black version.

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
The only thing the iPhone really needs is no contract and $39.00 a month for unlimited service.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
for those saying "NO", I imagine you'd still be able to get white and black, so what's the problem?

Exactly. Not sure why people are so adverse to choice. Ditto for the multiple screen sizes, if true.

I'm as skeptical as anyone, but I do hope these predictions turn out to be true, especially for the screen size.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Maybe they'll make a 5-5.5 inch phone with the same resolution as the current ipad mini

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
It's easy for them to say so many predictions. Then if only one is true, people will only remember that one and those analysts will get the fame for it.

it's like weather prediction that are worst than the real weather: people are used to hear worst predictions, just in case it happens. Then predictors are safe: either they predict the right weather, or people have a better weather (understand surprise) than what was predicted.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Why do people care so much if colors are offered?

What's all this talk about "inventory control nightmare"? How will this impact us as consumers? (a store will either have it or they won't... same with the current situation)

On a side note: Do you really think Apple will offer multiple screen sizes for the next lauch? I don't see that happening just yet.

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
i would love a choice of screen size cause i prefer 3.5" for trouser pocket portability. for everything else i have the ipad (mini).
after having alook at the new ipod touch i am not sure about the colours. unless the colour is also used on the front. or the front is black. but not with the white.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.