Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This is maddening! I'm still having issues. Wifi just completely stops working, and I have to reboot my phone to get it back. It ONLY happens at home, with my 2011 Time capsule. Other devices work with the Time Capsule just fine, and my phone doesn't have issues on any other Wifi network.

It most often happens when I arrive home from being out and about. When I reboot the phone, Wifi works great until I leave and come back hours later, upon which it's broken again.

Starting to wonder if I have defective hardware here. :p

rshroff2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Chicago, IL
YES! I never had problems with wifi on 6.0 nor on 6.0.1, but now I have wifi connection problems with 6.0.2. The wifi signal constantly fluctuates between 2 and 3 bars and sometimes it even drops the connection. :(

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
I'm also having wifi problems, most times I have to shut off and turn wifi back on. It seems as if my signal is weak as well.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
its random and only happens with my home router, maybe twice a month. and its usually only when i come home and it connects. it seems like the wifi just hangs. if i do a speed test, it will begin and get halfway through the download then freeze. simply turning wifi off and on again fixes it and like i said its random and barely happens.

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Did not have any issues with 6.0.1 on our family's four iPhone 5's and we don't have issues with 6.0.2 either.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Thanks for your responses. I may just take the phone in and explain my issue.

The biggest annoyance is that this isn't an issue I can replicate in the Apple Store. So they may have a hard time believing me.

waldo98

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
I still have the issue but it's doesn't happen as much since updating to 6.0.2. I've already exchanged my phone once as well.

rshroff2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Chicago, IL
Thanks for your responses. I may just take the phone in and explain my issue.

The biggest annoyance is that this isn't an issue I can replicate in the Apple Store. So they may have a hard time believing me.

I actually went to the apple store today to talk to someone about this and got my phone replaced for a new one in a slim white box. I told him the signal would fluctuate between 2 and 3 bars and would disappear altogether at times. As soon as I unlocked the phone I was able to recreate the problem and he took the phone in the back to do some tests and told me it could be software related, but because it was an iPhone 5, he wanted to swap it out for a new one. So I currently have a new iPhone 5 (my 3rd one since launch day). The only thing he told me to do differently was to set it up as a new phone instead of iCloud restore.

The new iPhone came with iOS 6.0.1 but I don't plan on upgrading just in case a miracle happens and a jailbreak is released before the iOS 6.1 deployment. * Crosses fingers, crazier things have happened.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
This is maddening! I'm still having issues. Wifi just completely stops working, and I have to reboot my phone to get it back. It ONLY happens at home, with my 2011 Time capsule. Other devices work with the Time Capsule just fine, and my phone doesn't have issues on any other Wifi network.

It most often happens when I arrive home from being out and about. When I reboot the phone, Wifi works great until I leave and come back hours later, upon which it's broken again.

Same exact here bro.
I dont have a time capsule but a new linksys router with wpa2 encryption.
Like you it works ok after a reboot but every time I go to work, back home or try to connect to other wifi's I have to keep restarting my iphone cause it connects to the wifi but cant pull any data. So my typical day goes through 5-6 restarts of my iphone or if Im in a hurry I just turn off wifi and use LTE.
Major pain, 6.0.2 didnt fix it.
Heard many others getting their iphones replaced and still experience the same issues.
Im kinda affraid to exchange it yet cause I might get a refurb with the same issue and even more problems:(
Its not a software issue cause I restored and setup as new many times. Still the same.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011

This is the exact problem that I had tonight in the Apple Store. Here is my story.

Since 6.0.2, I have had wi-fi problems as far as downloading apps and music from the cloud. Other general slowness issues but those are the big two. I tried to download 48 songs the other day and it took about 3 hours and just 15 apps took about 2 hours.

So I called Apple support tonight just to see if they had any tips on fixing this issue before I went to the Apple Store. After going through everything he knew, the phone rep told me that it was obviously a hardware issue, that he would create a case number, and that once I gave this case number to the Apple genius I would get a replacement phone.

Well, I go to the Apple Store and I can't recreate the problem because the Apple Store, and I'm not joking here, has super wi-fi. The fastest speeds I've ever seen anywhere. I explain to the genius that I'm an advanced user of the iPhone and that I'm not one of those people who brings their phone in for every little issue.

Because the problem can't be replicated in the Apple Store, he sends me on my way. Since then, I've stopped at a McDonalds with attwifi and a Starbucks as well. Extreme wi-fi slowness at both those spots as well.

This is very frustrating and I've even considered swapping my unlocked 5 for an unlocked 4S. Because of the extended Xmas return policy I still have a couple of days to make that decision. I doubt I'll do it though. I'll probably just live with the issue.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
This is the exact problem that I had tonight in the Apple Store. Here is my story.

Since 6.0.2, I have had wi-fi problems as far as downloading apps and music from the cloud. Other general slowness issues but those are the big two. I tried to download 48 songs the other day and it took about 3 hours and just 15 apps took about 2 hours.

So I called Apple support tonight just to see if they had any tips on fixing this issue before I went to the Apple Store. After going through everything he knew, the phone rep told me that it was obviously a hardware issue, that he would create a case number, and that once I gave this case number to the Apple genius I would get a replacement phone.

Well, I go to the Apple Store and I can't recreate the problem because the Apple Store, and I'm not joking here, has super wi-fi. The fastest speeds I've ever seen anywhere. I explain to the genius that I'm an advanced user of the iPhone and that I'm not one of those people who brings their phone in for every little issue.

Because the problem can't be replicated in the Apple Store, he sends me on my way. Since then, I've stopped at a McDonalds with attwifi and a Starbucks as well. Extreme wi-fi slowness at both those spots as well.

This is very frustrating and I've even considered swapping my unlocked 5 for an unlocked 4S. Because of the extended Xmas return policy I still have a couple of days to make that decision. I doubt I'll do it though. I'll probably just live with the issue.

If you dont want to deal with apple reps you can do it via mail also.
They will send you a box you send in yours and get a replacement in 2-3 days.
Or you can get an advanced replacement shipped to you and as soon as you get it your send yours in.

dnbull

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
I was having wifi issues as well but not the one you guys are having.

I usually turn off my phone and then turn it on once a week. I did it last night and the wifi would connect normally. Once the phone goes to sleep and I unlock the screen, I would have to manually go to the wifi setting and login every time. It was quite annoying. I tried almost everything and this one random thing worked for me and hey just give it a try, doesn't hurt even if it does not solve your problem.

Go to settings > wifi > other.

Input your settings manually.

The name is the most important. For example if your network is named "NeTGear" type it just like that instead of "netgear". I run on a WPA2 by the way.

Since then, my wifi has not randomly disconnected.

Give it a try and see if it helps and if not oh well, I tried despite us having different problems.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Or you can get an advanced replacement shipped to you and as soon as you get it your send yours in.

Will they do this even if you have 2 Apple stores right where you live? One is only a 15 minutes drive away.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Will they do this even if you have 2 Apple stores right where you live? One is only a 15 minutes drive away.

Yes they will. They will put a hold on your credit card on file for the replacement iPhone, it will eventually be debited back when they receive your iPhone.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Currently downloading 28 songs from the cloud and after an hour and a half, only 17 have successfully downloaded. Absolutely ridiculous.

----------

Do I tell them that I went to the Apple Store and they wouldn't give me a replacement phone?

As I said in my earlier post, the person I talked to over the phone said that it was probably a hardware issue and that I needed a replacement phone. He created a case and told me to give the number to the genius at the Apple Store.

At the Apple Store, the genius didn't even look up my case because everything was working properly on their "super wi-fi network." I ran a speed test while I was there and the speeds were absolutely incredible, much faster than LTE or any wi-fi network that I have ever seen.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

Does it only happen on 6.0.2? Right now you can downgrade to iOS 6.0.1 because Apple is still signing this version.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Once in a while my 5 will simply drop off my home WiFi network. And I'm using a new Airport Express router.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Currently downloading 28 songs from the cloud and after an hour and a half, only 17 have successfully downloaded. Absolutely ridiculous.

----------

Do I tell them that I went to the Apple Store and they wouldn't give me a replacement phone?

As I said in my earlier post, the person I talked to over the phone said that it was probably a hardware issue and that I needed a replacement phone. He created a case and told me to give the number to the genius at the Apple Store.

At the Apple Store, the genius didn't even look up my case because everything was working properly on their "super wi-fi network." I ran a speed test while I was there and the speeds were absolutely incredible, much faster than LTE or any wi-fi network that I have ever seen.

You dont have to tell them anything.
Just go here and fill out the form with what the problem is and your address etc..
https://expresslane.apple.com/ProductSelector.action

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
You're not the only one. 6.0.2 only fixed it for a few days. I have the same problems as I did before. I can connect to WiFi just fine but I can't get any internet and if I do it's slower than .1kbps.

iPhonedemon

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
I have almost the exact problem of the op. it's fine on most networks but as soon as I leave my home and return my wi-fi drops. A restart is the only thing that fixes it till I leave again. Really annoying. Happens on my wifes 4s sometimes too. We both have 6.0.2. This is my second 5 and both have the issue. Thinking the router is not compatible with the software???

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
I have not upgraded to the next version because I have 2 apps that I'm afraid might not work correctly. I just started having wifi issues yesterday and I've had the phone since release day. It is happening both at home and at work. Since 6.0.2 doesn't seem to have fixed it for everyone, is it worth it to try it? How hard would it be to downgrade if my apps don't work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.