Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
The point I was making is that everything you can do on a windows machine you can do with an iPad. Thats the bottom line. Your company's technological failures are nothing to boast about....just sayin'.

Perhaps is not his company's technological failures, perhaps it is your totally out of reality assumptions.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I also work for a leading company that is far and away more prestigious and well known. BIG Whoop! The point I was making is that everything you can do on a windows machine you can do with an iPad. Thats the bottom line. Your company's technological failures are nothing to boast about....just sayin'.

Really ? anything on an iPad i can do on a windows machine,

ok, on an iPad, have two applications open, at the same time, next to each other, so you can read information from one, whilst working on the other...

or, on your iPad, offer remote assistance to a client, allowing you to take control of their "PC" and help them through an issue, again whilst having another window open showing needed information.

Or show me any iPad domain tools that allow me to add users, manage my OUs, reset passwords, etc.

Or an iPad tool that lets me start and stop services on servers remotely,

Or an iPad call monitoring tool that connects up with the office phone system and corporate mail server,

Or an iPad that will run a time management punch card and door entry system

and you certainly cant run the payroll software or HR software for a decent sized company on an iPad

Sure you can mess around with a basic text document, send a short email, browse the web, watch video and play music and games on an iPad ,but for any serious work, you still need a decent input system , which means a keyboard and mouse, and more importantly, the ability to stack windows, and run apps side by side, without these features, productivity suffers.

I "Could" use an iPad to create documents for work, im not going to, because id like to do the task in 15 minutes rather than and hour and a half.

if you can do your job on your iPad, your either an overpaid exec (Tim is that you ?), or replaceable by a monkey with a typewriter

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
If they raise prices by 100-200 dollars, that means many people can't afford Apple computers anymore. At that price, they are just too expensive. Honestly, the price raise on the iMAc is already ridiculous.

Apple is overpricing their Mac line to price it out of the consumer prices if they do this.

Well the Retina models are way above most consumer budgets. And if they remove the non-Retina for Retina only MBP's, even if they did drop it by $100, I still wouldn't buy it.

Now that I have an Xbox 360 and a Windows 8 gaming PC, I find that I'm using Windows even more. I might even eventually switch to a Win 8 phone if they come out with something decent.

I always went with Apple because MSFT licensing was always so expensive and I had many blue screens, but now MSFT is lowering their price points, making more 'stable' software. Never had a blue screen with Win 7 or 8 so far. It's slowly driving people away from Apple with their high prices, especially lately with all that Apple has been doing (killing Mac OS X server software features, no more syncing with MobileMe, etc...)

I'm also trying to sell my mid-2010 MBP since I mainly use my iPhone, iPad Mini, and Win 8 gaming pc. And since the iPhone doesn't play well with xbox and windows, its really hard to want to keep it. I'm not the only one either. A lot of my die hard apple fans are dropping Apple computers too.

----------

ok, on an iPad, have two applications open, at the same time, next to each other, so you can read information from one, whilst working on the other...

or, on your iPad, offer remote assistance to a client, allowing you to take control of their "PC" and help them through an issue, again whilst having another window open showing needed information.

Or show me any iPad domain tools that allow me to add users, manage my OUs, reset passwords, etc.

Or an iPad call monitoring tool that connects up with the office phone system and corporate mail server,

and you certainly cant run the payroll software or HR software for a decent sized company on an iPad

Sure you can mess around with a basic text document, send a short email, browse the web, watch video and play music and games on an iPad ,but for any serious work, you still need a decent input system , which means a keyboard and mouse, and more importantly, the ability to stack windows, and run apps side by side, without these features, productivity suffers.

I "Could" use an iPad to create documents for work, im not going to, because id like to do the task in 15 minutes rather than and hour and a half.

if you can do your job on your iPad, your either an overpaid exec (Tim is that you ?), or replaceable by a monkey with a typewriter

I use LogMeIn on my iPad and works fine. Everything else you have a valid point though

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I use LogMeIn on my iPad and works fine. Everything else you have a valid point though

I don't think that running a program that turns the Ipad into a thin client accessing the Windows system really meets the earlier claim of "everything you can do on a windows machine you can do with an iPad".

(That wasn't your claim, I know, but that's the thread.)

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
just plain meat and potatoes stuff, like excel, Word document and Powerpoint/Keynote presentations. Sure you can edit them somewhat from an ipad. But even a full blown Macintosh with Office for Mac installed, can't access the same formatting and data manipulation features that Office for PC offers.
I know Office is an abominable mess, but it has become the de facto productivity suite. Google Docs is cute, but again, there are just some things you need an honest to goodness Windows machine with Office installed. Thank the maker for Virtual Box (and parallels and VMware Fusion)so I can stay in front of my Mac while I run my windows VM.

acerbas

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2004
Hell's bells

I agree with you.

However profit, and pushing prices higher seemed to be Apple's main purpose behind "Retina" from day one. It's what Apple is about.

How else do you expect the Jobs heirs to pay off Phillipe Stark? Steve's Gulfstream V was small potatoes compared to the Venus, and he didn't even have to pay for it, the stockholders did, and got richly remunerated. Do you suppose any of these narcissistic tycoons - Gates, Ellison, and now Tim Cook - have us peons at heart? I have 4 Macs now, and me and my family have probably bought at least 25 Apples over the years, including a couple Apple II's, but what I have now works for me well enough that I may never buy another Apple computer. They will probably dump Intel processors for some kind of proprietary chip that means we won't be able to run the current software, just like they did when they dumped Motorola for Intel. (Ah, I remember how was when they introduced the 100 mhz Power PC.) If that happens I just might have to migrate over to the Dark Side. I only have so much vaseline left.

NRLucas

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
Nick L

For Gods sake I hope Apple stays with intel processors. When I upgraded to Lion I finally had to finish upgrading all my software from PowerPC/PowerBook G4 days. Now that I'm 1 year post upgrading EVERYTHING to accommodate the processor changes from 2005/2006 there is noise of another processor upgrade? I really hope Apple does NOT go to arm processors in MacBook Pros.

I think I'm going to begin saving to get a maxed out 15" non-retina MacBook Pro by May so I can get the matte display back and have it for a good 5 years . I literally have headaches after prolonged use of my current computer. I had to replace my old 15" CoreDuo MBP that was a matte display with a i5 13" MBP with its super glossy display. Glossy is horrid for eye strain in a traditional office setting where there is no escaping sunlight reflections hitting your screen.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Steve said Apple wouldn't build a 7" iPad.

Times change & things change, 2013 promises to be a challenging year, and not just for Apple. Mr. Cook has his work cut out for him.

You say things change then mention 2013? Do you not think that apple are working on now what they'll release next year? If Tim says OS X and iOS won't converge now, then they won't at least for a year, surly?

----------

That must be the reason, why we see more and more ARM code in the system frameworks on opensource.apple.com. :rolleyes:

And btw, the OS competition (Linux, Windows 8) runs already on ARM and Intel processors (yeah, i know iOS is a smaller version of OS X).

Windows 8 does not run on ARM, a version of it does - Windows RT.

As for Linux, that hasn't taken off in the commercial market, therefor doesn't pose much competition to windows and OS X. I wish things were different, it would be cool to see three major desktop/laptop players.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
As for Linux, that hasn't taken off in the commercial market

In desktop/laptops maybe, but Linux has a much wider acceptance in the commercial market than you can imagine.

Linux runs on things you can't even imagine running it on ;) (TVs, wifi equipement, media players, etc.. etc..).

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
In desktop/laptops maybe, but Linux has a much wider acceptance in the commercial market than you can imagine.

Linux runs on things you can't even imagine running it on ;) (TVs, wifi equipement, media players, etc.. etc..).

You neglected to mention phones and tablets. Every Nook, Kindle, and Android device runs a derivation of Linux too.

And the Kindle Fire HD is a very real threat to Google, Microsoft and Apple.

(I know you know that WRX, but for other people)

idiscuss

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2009
The paper also reports that Ultrabook manufacturers are concerned that Apple "is likely to reduce the prices for its existing MacBook Airs before the launch of the new models." Such a move, however, would be extremely unusual for Apple. Apple rarely changes the prices of existing models before they are revised.

Guess what? The price reduction happened yesterday. It is not that "extremely unusual" after all.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Really ? anything on an iPad i can do on a windows machine
?

No. But I can do all that and more, and probably with more energy efficiency and security, by using my iPad to connect to all that stuff running as virtual instances in the company's data center or cloud, or maybe on an tiny embedded controller somewhere. Possibly all running linux instead of windows.

I run a bunch of my remote services on a Raspberry Pi sitting on top of my Airport Express, and use my iPad to SSH in and do any system admin required. Takes zero desk space. No stupid noisy fans. Uses less electricity than a nightlight.

Need something with a lot more compute power for a day? I can rent a multi-multicore setup by the hour from Amazon and remote desktop to it from the iPad. Tons faster than any noisy windows PC at a fraction of the price.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
?

No. But I can do all that and more, and probably with more energy efficiency and security, by using my iPad to connect to all that stuff running as virtual instances in the company's data center or cloud, or maybe on an tiny embedded controller somewhere. Possibly all running linux instead of windows.

I run a bunch of my remote services on a Raspberry Pi sitting on top of my Airport Express, and use my iPad to SSH in and do any system admin required. Takes zero desk space. No stupid noisy fans. Uses less electricity than a nightlight.

Need something with a lot more compute power for a day? I can rent a multi-multicore setup by the hour from Amazon and remote desktop to it from the iPad. Tons faster than any noisy windows PC at a fraction of the price.

Glad you work/live somewhere with 24/7 wifi/fast Cell access then, i prefer the power at my hands to not have to be reliant on a connection that may or may not work, spent enough years in the game to know that if you want to do something well, do it in person, in front of real hardware.

call me a dinosaur, but i don't trust "the cloud", probably why I've spent thousands on raid clusters at home (and yes i have an offsite backup as well, at my dads, approx. 9000 miles away)

BobbyCat

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Beyond
Takes zero desk space. No stupid noisy fans. Uses less electricity than a nightlight.
Need something with a lot more compute power for a day? I can rent a multi-multicore setup by the hour from Amazon

Oh, I didn't know we could do all this stuff without ever having to recharge any batteries. And then, whenever we'd need some real computer power, we could rent a machine.

Sounds like a neat solution ... for you. You could also lie on a sofa most of the time, and rent a bed whenever you need a good night's sleep :-/

Last edited:

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
just plain meat and potatoes stuff, like excel, Word document and Powerpoint/Keynote presentations. Sure you can edit them somewhat from an ipad. But even a full blown Macintosh with Office for Mac installed, can't access the same formatting and data manipulation features that Office for PC offers.
I know Office is an abominable mess, but it has become the de facto productivity suite. Google Docs is cute, but again, there are just some things you need an honest to goodness Windows machine with Office installed. Thank the maker for Virtual Box (and parallels and VMware Fusion)so I can stay in front of my Mac while I run my windows VM.

I think that as many bought iPads, most all but abandoned Office in favor of some other document applications, like Pages or whatever. In doing so, they found that they can live without Office mostly, and for the cases you can't, you still have access to some kind of Office on desktops or work. In other words, iPad users shifted to non-Office future and they are just fine. They also don't use much of user and group administration for Windows as well. This is new work architecture and infrastructure, without Windows and without Office.

----------

You don't buy iPads to do the heavy work, of course. Expectations are wrong. It just means that the iPad buyers are NOT users you imply they are. They are doing just fine without Windows, user access administration, privileges and Office. What will remain is a small group of heavy Office users, chained to their desktops but they will be absolute minority. All other will be mobile, without the stuff you mention at all, and this is new work culture. Welcome to 21st century. Indeed, no one makes Photoshop editing on mobile, no one makes 20 mb presentations on run, no one makes 800 column on spreadsheets as well. This will be left to few unfortunate serfs to work on old desktops. Bosses are on mobile.

Last edited:

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
Glad you work/live somewhere with 24/7 wifi/fast Cell access then, i prefer the power at my hands to not have to be reliant on a connection that may or may not work, spent enough years in the game to know that if you want to do something well, do it in person, in front of real hardware.

call me a dinosaur, but i don't trust "the cloud", probably why I've spent thousands on raid clusters at home (and yes i have an offsite backup as well, at my dads, approx. 9000 miles away)
I had a vendor try and sell me on cloud based phone service.
Seeing as our telecom provider STILL can't give us 7 days in a row without several 10 minutes drops of our data line I passed.
Cloud is dependent on your DSL/Cable/T1 etc. When it glitches, your cloud client crashes and you have to re-initiate the connection, or worse, have to call the NOC and have them kick the box to unstick a hung app.
This happens every week for me.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
... And then, whenever we'd need some real computer power, we could rent a machine.

Exactly. Most city people don't keep a moving truck & tractor parked in their driveway. They rent one the few times they actually need to move something big.

PCs are trucks. Most people (not on a farm) usually drive a car that gets much better gas mileage.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Bosses are on mobile.

THis sums it up for me, the people that do NO work are mobile, the people that do the work need access to REAL computing , not a consumption device .

iPads are fine if your sat in a meeting, reading your emails, playing angry birds or whatever it is the management at most places does now (they used to sit in offices with their thumbs up their asses and discuss golf handicaps) or shooting a quick email out to the people who do real work.

the rest of us are chained to real computing devices at work, at home, i use an iPad the way i used to use newspapers, its a quick content access device, i have a few books on it, and magazines, and its fine for browsing the web and access my emails to view, but its no way subtable for productive work.

----------

Exactly. Most city people don't keep a moving truck & tractor parked in their driveway. They rent one the few times they actually need to move something big.

PCs are trucks. Most people (not on a farm) usually drive a car that gets much better gas mileage.

We cannot "rent" or farm out computing power, our data stays in house, for very good reasons, our data, is likely also YOUR personal data, the number of Names, Address, Bank details etc we deal with is in the 10s of Millions, not something we can risk farming out to a third party.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here

Swallowed that one hook, line, and sinker didn't ya..

MacConvert

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2006
Seattle, WA
I am always astonished at the people who think dumping Intel and using an Apple "CPU" would be a good thing.

It would be a monumental stupid thing to do...

-P

Galaxy-size stupid. It would also put them right back into the pre-Jobs-return era, near the brink of death.

Large amounts of cash don't mean *****- the bigger they are, the harder they fall. The only thing that really matters is - can they innovate? If they can't, they will die.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.