Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiigBiscuit

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
I wasn't for it before, but I made a few mockups that swayed my position. I would love a blue one. But for those saying "NO", I imagine you'd still be able to get white and black, so what's the problem?

Those are actually beautiful. I would love them to produce more colour options.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I am all for the new iphones in new colors and sizes but hopefully they make this transition easy on developers.

Updating apps for the iphone 5 screen was a real pain. Hopefully they can pull off a change like they did for retina where its just a matter of doubling pixels and we dont need to deal with resizing and moving elements on the screen.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I don't buy the larger screen or the smaller screen either, this is the problem with analysts, they come up with rumors and some of the rumors tend to actually damage the company stock or reputation cause some people take it too seriously.

I don't know what to think anymore, since Jobs, Apple product releases seems to changed and probably their product lineup too, I prefer the 1 year lifecycle, but apparently "analysts" seem to disagree. But I do hope they realized that simplicity is what made customer pick them, not choices. The typical Apple customer has this mindset that Apple already chose for them what's the best so they don't have to do the thinking. All they want is to buy a product that looks great and functions just the same.

:apple:

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
I wasn't for it before, but I made a few mockups that swayed my position. I would love a blue one. But for those saying "NO", I imagine you'd still be able to get white and black, so what's the problem?

Nice work. I can see it happening, but I'm still getting black.

The screen will be 4" for a LONG time to come. Possibly forever.

The colors I can believe, the sizes... Yeah, not so much. Maybe smaller. Maybe.

There doesn't seem to be much point putting out iPhones in multiple colors since so many people put cases on them.

I could actually see them offering 3.5" and 4" side by side... I know several people who got the 4S in the past few months just because they thought the 4" screen on the 5 sounded too big.

A lot of people (girls, anyways) just get the cases for the colors, from what I can tell.

Definitely. My wife was just telling me last night she'd rather have the 3.5" rather than the 4" (yes, that was somewhat deliberate). But I can totally see Apple building a 3.5 iPhone5 for when the iP4 & 4S are phased out. 9 times out of 10, it seems like when we hear about "multiple sizes" and "more options" and "cheaper versions" in rumors, it seems to turn out that it's just Apple selling an older product at a discount. Brilliant, and actually very innovative marketing on Apple's part.

Most of the women I know have cases because "I just know I'll drop it". The color is a secondary consideration. [/Anecdotal].

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
multiple colors... ehhh, maybe...

Multiple screen sizes??? do these analysts even think before they post stuff? I can think of 3 reasons of the top of my head of why Apple would never do that.

Even assuming perfect compatibility an "iPhone nano" idea is idiodic. Nobody wants a smaller iPhone

And I can think of 20m (the number of S3 sales in 3Q12) reason why Apple need need to seriously consider having a bigger phone. In a lot of countries, smartphone is used partially as a mobile video player. And 4 inches is perfect for using app on the run but not watching video on the run. There is really no benefit for Apple not to offer bigger screen. They need to figure out how to deal with Apps fragmentation problems but they have at least 20-30M unit type of sales opportunity that they give up by not tackling the problem.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
"Sounded" too big? Did they actually hold one in their hands before deciding? I still have a 4S (I won't be eligible to upgrade until June) and have held friends iPhone 5's and the screen doesn't really seem that much bigger because the size only increased vertically, plus it is thinner and lighter.

I don't believe they have and I agree with you completely.

The best choice for Apple is going to be to nix the 3.5" screens as quickly as possible. As soon as they're all 4", developers won't need to worry at all about supporting multiple screen sizes.

I wouldn't mind if Apple offered something close to the 4.8” HD Super AMOLED™ display like on the Galaxy S3 has, but of course that would cause headaches for developers I am sure and cause more fragmentation.

I have developed for Android and iOS. Here's the issue with Android:

They have 6 separate resolutions. Google recommends that you support at least 3 (Medium, High, and Extra High are what they recommend. They also have Low, TV (meant to have a resolution comparable to a TV,) and Extra-Extra High.)
They have 4 "buckets" of screen sizes, which Google recommends you support all of. But really, the possibilities are limitless here.

This adds up to needing to make 12 - 24 separate layouts for Android.

On iOS, you need retina, with maybe some non-retina, and you need iPhone and iPad, with maybe separate files for 3.5" and 4".

That adds up to 2 - 5 (Retina iPhone, Retina 4", Retina iPad, old iPhone, old iPad/iPad mini.) separate layouts.

I don't worry too much about the different layouts though. The thing that really sucks on Android is the version distribution. Over 50% of Android users are still running Gingerbread, released in 2010. 20% of Android users are running, get this, not newer than Gingerbread, but older than Gingerbread versions of Android. So when developing for Android, you have two options:

- Develop for the cutting edge that 1/3rd of the users are actually on.
- Develop for everyone, and use the inferior APIs that are available for Gingerbread.

Meanwhile, on iOS just 2 weeks ago we had 72% of users running iOS 6. That was before Christmas. I'm sure when we get new numbers some time soon, they're going to be up past 80%.

umbriell

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
Agreed. Bigger screen is better. I also don't see the big deal with screen size and developers. Developers have had to adjust for screen sizes for pcs forever. I'd love a 4.8 or 5 inch screen on my next iphone.

Apple needs a 4.8" screen.
My 4" screen isnt cutting it, BUT I hate android.

If I could run the Apple OS on one of those beautiful Samsung phones, I wouldve left Apple already.

Make a 4.8" or 5.5" iPhone & a 4" model. Thats it.
No need for 3.5" anymore.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
And I can think of 20m (the number of S3 sales in 3Q12) reason why Apple need need to seriously consider having a bigger phone. In a lot of countries, smartphone is used partially as a mobile video player. And 4 inches is perfect for using app on the run but not watching video on the run. There is really no benefit for Apple not to offer bigger screen. They need to figure out how to deal with Apps fragmentation problems but they have at least 20-30M unit type of sales opportunity that they give up by not tackling the problem.

Apple can barely keep up with demand for the iPhone. With only a few models they also control the majority of the mobile industry's profits. I hardly see any of this as a "problem" for them. I'd say they're doing ok without multiple screen sizes. Bottom line, Apple isn't really interested in markets - or customers - that don't make them money.

----------

I don't believe they have and I agree with you completely.

The best choice for Apple is going to be to nix the 3.5" screens as quickly as possible. As soon as they're all 4", developers won't need to worry at all about supporting multiple screen sizes.

I have developed for Android and iOS. Here's the issue with Android:

They have 6 separate resolutions. Google recommends that you support at least 3 (Medium, High, and Extra High are what they recommend. They also have Low, TV (meant to have a resolution comparable to a TV,) and Extra-Extra High.)
They have 4 "buckets" of screen sizes, which Google recommends you support all of. But really, the possibilities are limitless here.

This adds up to needing to make 12 - 24 separate layouts for Android.

On iOS, you need retina, with maybe some non-retina, and you need iPhone and iPad, with maybe separate files for 3.5" and 4".

That adds up to 2 - 5 (Retina iPhone, Retina 4", Retina iPad, old iPhone, old iPad/iPad mini.) separate layouts.

I don't worry too much about the different layouts though. The thing that really sucks on Android is the version distribution. Over 50% of Android users are still running Gingerbread, released in 2010. 20% of Android users are running, get this, not newer than Gingerbread, but older than Gingerbread versions of Android. So when developing for Android, you have two options:

- Develop for the cutting edge that 1/3rd of the users are actually on.
- Develop for everyone, and use the inferior APIs that are available for Gingerbread.

Meanwhile, on iOS just 2 weeks ago we had 72% of users running iOS 6. That was before Christmas. I'm sure when we get new numbers some time soon, they're going to be up past 80%.

Bingo! And let's not forget that Android users don't buy a lot of apps in the first place. I understand why large corporations (ie: banks, airlines, etc) who give their apps away for free support Android. But I can't understand why any developer who makes a living selling apps would mess with the headache that is Android.

odaiwai

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
Hong Kong
The only change in iPhone screen resolution I can see happening is to match the iPad, and make the apps all universal across iOS.

Will never happen: 163dpi or 326 dpi (2x) is it. Carefully chosen resolutions to match touch target sizes. You will notice that the iPad mini has the same resolution as the original iPhone, just like every iPhone since.

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I'll never understand why certain apple pundits think choice is bad. If they make a 4" phone and a 5" phone, you don't have to buy the 5".

HussamRaed

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011

The Red one please :D .

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011

Very nice job with the mockups. While I agree that they are visually appealing, they lose (IMO) the premium look that the brand has always carried as a consequence to all that color. I don't think Apple would make that sacrifice.

On the topic of new screen sizes, I highly doubt that we will get a new size so soon after iPhone 5. If they wanted to jump to a 4.5" display or whatever, they had all the opportunity in the world to do it last time. I could see them very marginally increasing the size of the display while maintaining the same resolution and 300ppi, but even that seems unlikely.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Give me a iPad Mini sized iPhone with retina display and I'm all set.

I don't want to carry two devices around, so a iPhone 7" that I could tuck into my jacket pocket would be great.

And no, I wouldn't hold it up to my ear to talk on it (that's look as silly as the people holding a 10" iPad up to take pictures :) ). Headset and speakerphone would be all I need.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
I like the choice of additional colors. Thanks for the mock ups

However, there is no way I am upgrading again when the 5s comes out, I just got my 5 at launch. What is it worth to me to upgrade???

Better Display. I think the current screen is awesome....how much more you going to cram into a 4" display that I will be able to see at normal vision, but you will show me a 100X mag view of it and show me how what was once the best display (retina) is not better because it has twice the amount of pixels as before. Sorry to say, but 4" is still 4" no matter how many pixel you cram into it

Better Camera. Really, unless you give me Optical Zoom, 8MB is pretty damn good for a Phone camera. The phone already does 1080p HD record at 30FPS w/ audio.

NFC Support, if it does come, don't use it now and really doesn't affect my life without it.

128GB <- Now, if I could this for the amount i paid for my 64GB iPhone 5, this might be worth it

a full-screen front without bezel and a touch home button... :D

matjamca

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2013
St Helens, Merseyside, England
I really hope Apple doesn't increase the screen size beyond the iPhone 5. It's a perfect balance of size and usability now.

Not a fan of the iPod Touch colours. If Apple introduce darker colours that would be nice. I'd go for a deep red one. I never use a case for my iPhone and have (touch wood) never scratched or damaged it.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
updates

Colors: won't make any difference. I usually have my iPhone in some kind of case.

Screen: Even larger screen than the iPhone 5? Since I have a 4s, large screens are new to me. Just saw my friend's Samsung Galaxy II. The screen was huge and the phone was light.

If Apple can keep the iPhone light and offer the retina screen at whatever size for the existing prices, I'd eventually take a look. I am in no hurry to update my iPhone.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
We just got the iPhone 5, I doubt we see any huge changes in the "S" cycle. All the rumors we see now is nothing more than the rumor machine working hard to get the new year started.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
omg i want the red one :eek: NOW

Try this for RED !

121228030522-lobster-iphone-story-top.jpg

(click to enlarge)

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/28/tech/social-media/apparently-this-matters-lobster-case/index.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.