Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
I don't think this is fragmentation as much as addressing an existing market need. This is demonstrated by other manufacturers who successfully sell phones with different screen sizes.

And give them away in 2-for-1 deals, etc. when they sell poorly. This is one of the primary reasons for Android's dominance in marketshare. You can always get a freebie somewhere. Of course, it's also been proven that marketshare does not equal profit for the Android camp. Apple still commands the lion's share in that department with only a few phone models compared to literally hundreds of Android models.

Keep in mind that Apple can barely produce enough iPhones to meet the demand. I don't think they need to dilute their brand by offering a bunch of different shapes, colors, and sizes.

matjamca

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2013
St Helens, Merseyside, England
I want photos to be organised better with the ability to password protect certain albums/folders. I don't want my naughty pictures visible in my library and don't want people to access them if they borrow my phone etc. I know you can purchase 3rd party apps but they're not great at all.

Surely Apple employees must have their own naughty pics and must see the need or benefit of such a feature. Having said that, Apple employees may not have naughty pics being at work all day.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I got it! Instead of fixing OS X and iOS bugs, lets speed up the release cycles.

release cycles are fixing bugs.

that new bugs from new functionality also arise is the very nature of software development. give it a try some day.

----------

3. Vehicle mode - no texting if device is moving > 5 mph

lets count how many people that would screw: car passengers, bus passengers, subway passengers, train passengers, boat passengers, etc....

----------

Apple doesn't care about holidays or family. All that matters is profit. Ive probably worked on Christmas and is working today. :apple:

thats interesting considering they give employees a week for holidays like thanksgiving. and that ive and cooks have both stated they worry about focusing on great product building first, trusting that the profits will follow...

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
Does Nobody Want.....?

Of all the things in people's wishlists here, there are 2 things missing:

Thinner, and Lighter.

The 2 things Apple seems to be obsessed with. The first 2 things Tim Cook boasted about when introducing the iPhone 5 in his keynote speech. The 2 things that only Apple seem to give a damn about.

Make it 1 or 2mm thicker and double the battery life, and I'll be a happy bunny.

As for iOS7? Just fix iOS6 and we'll be off to a great start.
Advertising the Maps app with the slogans 'Take a whole new turn' and 'See the world from a whole new perspective' may sound grand, but it takes on a whole new meaning when the city you live in has been moved 80 miles from it's actual location.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If this report is true he hasn't has a lot of time has he? I mean Cook's re-org was announced end of October. And how much really gets done in December with the Holidays and people being on vacation?

At my company, whenever one product is released, the very, very first change for the next version is updating the product version number for the next release. So having software with a version number "iOS 7" appearing means absolutely nothing.

----------

Or taking public transportation! Seriously, why penalize the majority for the minority who are breaking the rules?

What about adding some cleverness: Before you are allowed to text while moving at speed, you have to point the camera towards your face and towards another face. That stops people driving alone from texting. People driving with passengers I'd hope the passenger stops them. The only ones penalised would be bus passengers who are alone on the bus, and car passengers who want to text while their twin is driving.

On the other hand, there was a study that claimed that idiots who text while driving don't have accidents because they are texting, they have accidents because they are idiots in the first place. While normal people keep an eye on the traffic around them, adjust their speed to road and weather conditions and traffic, these idiots wouldn't have the brain to do that even if you took their phones away. (And they would probably instead of texting go to MacRumors and post that their iPhone stopped working properly. While driving. )

Last edited:

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I agree with everyone that iOS 7 needs to be a game changer.. Apple is slowly on the decline unless they do something about it

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
I agree with everyone that iOS 7 needs to be a game changer.. Apple is slowly on the decline unless they do something about it

I'll ask this of you too. I've asked it of others in this thread and no one has responded. What makes you say that Apple is on the decline? Record product sales hardly qualify as being on the decline. What makes you say that iOS 7 needs to be a game changer? And what does it need to do to qualify as such? Android isn't a game changer. If anything Windows 8 is the first really innovative take on the smartphone since the iPhone was first released.

I read comments that iOS is stale, needs an overhaul, etc., but I never see anyone mention specific issues. In my opinion, Apple has pretty much nailed the smartphone concept and now it's all about refining and optimizing, not feeding certain people's slavish need for something NEW all the time, as if new always equals better.

----------

or, just continue to keep my trusty devices working reliably.

if you want interesting go read a book.

Thank you! The slavish desire for something new all the time is ridiculous and embarrassing.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I highly doubt Apple will do anything too radical with iOS. It's still a enormous success for Apple. They might be loosing market share to Android, but they still earn a hell of a lot more money on iOS and their devices compared to any other in the industry.

Take a look at the Mac and OS X situation, it's never been about taking the entire market and only be satisfied if everyone loves you and use your devices. It's about offering the best ecosystem and integration across their own lineup, Apple want to be the very best at integrating their products and make life easy for the user.

One can always argue whether your MacBook is the best notebook purchase one can do, whether the iMac is the smartest desktop option, whether you'd might consider BoxeeBox or something else instead of the Apple TV, you might go Bluetooth instead of AirPlay and what not.

The thing with Apple is once you get used to the seamless integration between devices you get spoiled and going back to having a Android phone, combined with various Windows systems and a bluetooth speaker along with a WDTV Live in the living room and you have a whole mess on your hands and your family can barely understand how to operate any of it.

And the competition understands this, there is no real doubt about Microsoft and Google starting to jump the ball and go the same route as Apple in terms of seamless integration between devices, but after testing out Windows Phone 8 with Windows 8 and their tablet lineup and seeing how Google is going with the multitude of Android devices they are no way near Apple in terms of simplicity and seamless integration, at least not yet.

As long as Apple keep on doing what they are best at, keeping their system so tightly and seamlessly integrated with each other and keep on focusing on easy to use setups and devices that "just works" they will keep most of their extraordinary loyal customer base.

The biggest mistake Apple can make at this point is starting to change things just for the sake of it. If people suddenly have to re-learn all their iOS devices and they start altering the whole user interface experience they will start seeing some serious drop in their rather loyal user base. People whom want to flicker with settings and customization out of this world will always stick with more open source solutions compared to what Apple has to offer so don't start messing with your current customers in a hope for gaining some from your competitors whom chose the other platforms for a reason to begin with.

That said they could really step up their game in terms of evolving quite a few things, some of the stock applications are simply lacklustre and not remotely close to being up to 2013 standards. But again, Apple is saved by it's rock solid ecosystem as nobody barely uses any of the stock applications to begin with as you have such a awesome library of good third party applications.

tom123

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
Fat Fingers

Sure wish the keyboard had some arrows -for the cursor.

(There are times where I just can't get it right)

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
I'm a BIG apple person.
I'm NOT a big iPhone person.

Just got 2 samsung galaxy note 2's ....... it already HAS "iOS7"!!!!!!!!!

How about quit following "the pied piper" and make some rational smart choices instead of panting for the next iPhone that is trying to catch up to the creativity found elsewhere that "used to be apple" and the way they were innovative!

Have a nice day! Oh, that's right, you can't see the weather app and this blog at the same time on your iPhone ........ I can!

So basically you bought 2 GIGANTIC phones and all of a sudden, the next iphone is "trying to catch up to the creativity found elsewhere that "used to be apple" and the way they were innovative!". Thank God Apple didnt listen.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
puh-lease

give us some better background app management.
When I open contacts or weather and then close, just close the god damned app! Why does it need to keep running in the background? What is this, Blackberry?
Of course it is a trivial matter to open up the running apps tray and kill off the zombies. But it is a less than trivial matter to explain this to every new iphone user that I support at work.
It would also be super nice if they fixed teh notifications.
I like being notified of emails and texts as they come in. I dont like when it intrudes on gameplay and causes my little dudes to die because I can't click anything at the "top" while a notification is there.
Oh yeah, and a user visible file system would be nice.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I'm hoping my 3GS lasts long enough for me to see if the 5S is worth getting.

Everyone will be looking at IOS7 since its the first post forstall version even though im not sure how much time Ives got to tinker.

ABG

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
United Kingdom
What needs? I'm curious. I've played around with an S3 at Best Buy and didn't care for the hardware or UI. The only person I know who has one (switched from iPhone) isn't wild about it and laments not having stuck with his iPhone. I read posts like yours suggesting that the iPhone is somehow falling behind other smartphones but I rarely see anyone cite specifics. So I'm curious? What needs is Apple not meeting? Or are you simply motivated by the need for something new and different (not necessarily better)? The 4s and 5 offered some pretty huge improvements over the 3G. What were you expecting? What does your S3 have that the 5 does not?

Thanks - I miss the intelligent debate on here that was a feature when I joined almost 10 years ago. I'd agree that having used a 3G and 4 for almost five years (both bought on launch day) there is a part of me that is bored by the same interface. The lack of customisation adds to it, but sometimes you just want something new. Widgets is new - I like having access to data without firing up apps. The screen size (which I'm ashamed to say I assumed was "too large" as many here exclaim) is actually really excellent. I can read comfortably on the kindle app in a way that wasn't possible on the 4. Netflix content is also excellent on the larger screen. Yes the iPhone 5 is taller, but that's it. And then there is the cost. I was happy to pay premium prices when then the iPhone was head and shoulders better. I was happy to pass on a user changeable battery, expandable storage, wide codec support.

Is the S3 "better" than the iPhone5 - probably not. Is it worse - I don't think so, but unlike so many here I won't pass judgement as I've not owned an iPhone5.

Here's the real point - I got the 16Gb S3 for £24 on a two year contract. Unlimited data and the phone was "free". £574 for two years. I bought a 32Gb micro SD card for £18, because on my phone I want at least 32Gb to be able to freely use the HD video. So that's £592 for two years all in. Or I could buy a 32Gb iPhone contract free for £599 and pay £12 a month sim only for two years. That makes the S3 almost £300 cheaper when you factor in NPV over two years.

So if the costs were exactly the same, I'd probably have stayed with Apple. After all I've got a load of apps I've bought over the years. But a £300 premium - nope not for me.

Perhaps the issue is expectations - I bought the iPhone4 from Apple so I could change it the following year. Then I saw the iPhone4S and was underwhelmed. But I held out the for the iPhone5 and again "meh". Its a bit longer. I didn't see an extra row of apps on the page was worth £600. I have Siri on the iPad. Its not useful to me. I have tens of Apple connectors which wont work without an adaptor.

So there it is. This time I "thought different". My iPhone 4 seems small and heavy compared the the S3. I'm hopeful one day in the future Apple will have a phone that gets me as excited as the 3G did in 2008. But its not the iPhone5 and history shows its unlikely to the iPhone 5S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.