Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I was surprised that even Tim Cook said they will "double down on secrecy", there were so many leaks that came accurate.

Interesting to know what will be installed for us consumers next year... But I think it's predictable: iPhone 5S (same design, different internals), iPad 5 with new iPad mini-like design. iPad mini with retina display...

The leaks will confirm these "a-bit-obvious" products.

SURPRISE ME APPLE!

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Haha! More of this please...there is a certain schadenfreude to seeing incredibly vocal forum users eat crow as they see Apple products come to life that they were so certain were just rumors.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Ha! I must admit, I was in the crowd of people skeptical that the iPhone 5 would have a new aspect ratio (though it wasn't out of the question since it wasn't a huge change). It's fun to look back on our old comments like that.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Ha! I must admit, I was in the crowd of people skeptical that the iPhone 5 would have a new aspect ratio (though it wasn't out of the question since it wasn't a huge change). It's fun to look back on our old comments like that.
I thought they would use it for a dedicated notification space. They didn't. Even my iPhone 4S has a top notification now.

ScooterLibby

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
A review of rumors we know now to be either true or false would otherwise be incredibly boring if it weren't for the accompanying strident, and ultimately incorrect arguments in the other direction.

If only they'd do more of this after the fact shaming in sports and politics forums.

Clown Boy

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
It's not just leaks that have led to us being easily able to second guess Apple but the fact that they don't really innovate or do anything special anymore.

If you want to guess what they are likely to do next then simply look at what they did the year before and there is your answer.

Up next we have iPhone 5S with speed bump and upgraded camera, thinner iPad and a iPad Mini with retina display.

DimeTech

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
It's not just leaks that have led to us being easily able to second guess Apple but the fact that they don't really innovate or do anything special anymore.

If you want to guess what they are likely to do next then simply look at what they did the year before and there is your answer.

Up next we have iPhone 5S with speed bump and upgraded camera, thinner iPad and a iPad Mini with retina display.
Are you expecting an iPhone-esque revolutionary device every year? What planet do you live on? iPod 2001 iPhone 2007 ipad 2010. That's a pretty good track record spread out over a decade and if you mistake refining current designs (while developing future concepts/products) for a lack of innovation, you sir, are a moron. Just sayin...

PS I didn't even mention the App Store which isn't hardware and has set the model for that type of environment.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia

Clown indeed! Steve has only been gone a little over a year. The products we are seeing are still ones he planned. If you were old enough, you'd remember a couple of years ago him saying they had products planned for several years in advance.

On an aside, I can see Apple getting into home automation next.

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
Tim should ask himself

if leaks are actually a bad thing.

Sure there is the argument that it telegraphs the company's development path to the competition or that consumers will wait for the next version, but neither of those concerns seem to have been born out in the event. If anything, the leaks keep the company's name and products at the forefront of tech news. That's spelled free advertising boys and girls. Anyone with even the faintest hint of understanding knows that there will always be new versions of products and new products coming down the line. That's the basis of the old saw that a computer on the shelf at the store is obsolescent and when you put it in the car to take it home it is obsolete. Things change and rapidly in the technology sector. When Forbes and the Wall Street Journal are reporting the news of rumors there has to be something going on that benefits the company.

Me thinks the company doth protest too much. (Rumors just would not have the same cache if there were not the little bit of naughtiness of them being secrets that have made their way into the public domain.)

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
i love it that vocal posters are called out in a story like this...

I'm like macrumors to take it a step further - and award 'badges' to those who are most off. Like the ones that say an ipod, ipad, etc are stupid ideas that will never work!

And you get the second badge for the stupid idea of badge awarding.

The first badge goes to this one:

I want one of those guys to come out and kiss our feet.

Last edited:

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
I know it's not actually from this year but this post always makes me laugh.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/13401540/

It's just the sheer pomposity of the "Anyone who believes otherwise fundamentally does not understand Apple" that gets me every time.
And whaddaya know, Apple releases the 4S a week later!

davjaxn

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011

Other than completely re-inventing the mobile phone with the iPhone, changing the entire landscape of mobile computing, and even personal computing, with the App Store and the iPad, inventing new product categories with both the iPad and the MacBook Air, ushering in ultra-high resolution displays on personal computers and mobile devices with the Retina Display... All in the last FIVE YEARS, Apple doesn't innovate or do anything special any more.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Other than completely re-inventing the mobile phone with the iPhone, changing the entire landscape of mobile computing, and even personal computing, with the App Store and the iPad, inventing new product categories with both the iPad and the MacBook Air, ushering in ultra-high resolution displays on personal computers and mobile devices with the Retina Display... All in the last FIVE YEARS, Apple doesn't innovate or do anything special any more.

Its more that Google/Samsung/others have started innovating and taking chances more than Apple. Apple continues to go on cruise control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.