Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
the reason for the success of Waze lies in its de-centralized, community-driven approach – something that's just the opposite of The Apple Way(tm).

really...so Waze doesnt store its data in a centralized host server environment? because im certain they do. on their site they refer to it as Waze's "big brain". as for community-driven data, this approach is not unique to Waze -- google and apple also try to incorporate crowd-sourced data. if apple were to adopt more of Waze's data and live re-routing that would only benefit Maps, not detract from Waze. even if they killed Waze iOS users benefit from having that functionality in Maps.

so, not buying that Waze is doing something the *opposite* of what others do.

Last edited:

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Did Apple provide this secret information to get Foursquare to lower their price?

All this map stuff is good, everyone is fighting over it which means eventually better programs and devices for us.

DanAcosta

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Waze NEEDS Foursquare

Ok, full disclosure, Im a huge Apple fan. However, after the whole Maps debacle Im not sure I want Apple to purchase Waze, why? Here´s why.

Waze is an AMAZING product, however the search options are not that great, even Google doesn´t work as well as it does on Google Maps, I have no idea why. The only option that works flawlessly, at least in Mexico is Foursquare. Now, if Apple doesn´t want to make a deal with Foursquare, choosing Waze instead, does it mean that Foursquare wont´t be available in Waze when Apple buys it? If so, please don´t buy it Apple... PLEASE!!!! When Apple got rid of Google Maps and Apple Maps failed miserably, I looked for an alternative, and Waze was that alternative. Now Google Maps is "back" but I´m hooked to Waze! So please if Apple purchases Waze, let Foursquare be on it as a search tool, if not, another great app will be distroyed.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
So Waze knows the location of moving cars...but Apple Maps doesn't? Uhhh, no.

If apple buys waze it will be for location of stores etc, not moving cars. They already have that.

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
I love, love, love Waze!

One of the best UI features it has is that it will zoom the map view based on how fast your car is going. So if you are on the freeway it will zoom out, but as you slow down and approach an intersection, it will zoom in so you can see the detail of the cross streets.

Also, the major difference between Waze and other navigation apps is that Waze actually USES the location information of other moving cars to give YOU the best route. It will know when another waze user is stuck in traffic on 5th street, so it can redirect you to 7th where there is less traffic! Not to mention the community features where people can report traffic cops, road hazards, and more. I could go on and on...

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
Since Waze gets over 1/2 of it's data from Android phones how would this play for Apple?

I was thinking of this as well. The only thing is if Waze was baked into the built in Maps app, everyone on an iPhone would automatically have it. So, the Android users lost could be made up a couple times over because it would be included on every iPhone.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
I'd absolutely love for Apple to contribute back and use openstreetmap (like what Waze were going to do originally), make the world a better place etc :)
Unfortunately, I'll happily take waze integration/system over their current solution.

swissglide

macrumors member
May 9, 2010
Burlington, VT
As a long time wazer, I have the following to say about this prospect:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I do not see how Waze could continue to exist in it's current uber-open form under the ownership of a company that is famous for closed platforms and walled gardens. Do not get me worng, I love all my Apple products, always have, but Waze is built based on an entirely different philosophy. For example, I do not see Apple keeping the current editing system, where any user who has driven enough miles while running Waze can edit the maps and respond to map error reports. For the sake of Waze, I sincerely hope that this does not happen.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Yes, do it now! Waze is absolutely amazing.

I agree and I want to believe this.... however, Siri was absolutely amazing, then Apple bought it and re-released with with far less functionality than it originally had, and limited the devices it worked on.

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
really...so Waze doesnt store its data in a centralized host server environment?

De-centralized not in the IT department sense of the word, but in the fact that there isn't a central team of map editors sitting at Waze doing its thing. Their approach is more similar to Wikipedia: Depending on their activity, community users have a certain amount of editing powers. Waze as a company is mainly looking after the technology and inks deals to get some base map data into the system. (Plus, of course, they're reaping the profits, the users get "only" the free navigation.)

and how is their crowd-sourced data a different philosophy than the crowd-sourced data found in iOS maps? or google's?

See above: At Waze and Openstreetmap, you can edit the map data directly via a GUI editor. After your edit, it's in the system and will show up for everyone in the next data update, unless another Waze user edits it again first. (OSM's live map updates within minutes, at Waze it can take anything between a few days and a week.)

At Google and Apple, you, as an end user, don't have direct editing access to the map data. All you can do is send a message to the map team employees that something's wrong. Google's good at getting back to you within a few hours or a day at most, while Apple (at least over here in Berlin) is extremely slow. There are some glaring errors that I (and many others, I am sure) have reported shortly after launch, and not one of them has been fixed, so far.

That's not to say, OSM and Waze are always better: They are really bad in those areas where there aren't many users – look at small towns in Germany or the US midwest, for example.
They do, however, follow a very different approach to map making, and one that doesn't mesh very well with Apple's usual approach of controlling every little detail.

j2004p

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
As an iOS6 and Waze user I am massively conflicted by this.

On the one hand it would massively improve the baked in maps app, however Waze as a standalone app is excellent, mainly because of the large and diverse userbase contributing to the crowdsourced traffic data.

That userbase would presumably become a fraction of the size if Apple closed it down to bake it into iOS 7 or 8.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Wouldn't do much to fix Apple's mapping problems. Doesn't solve POI, doesn't solve transit, doesn't help non-drivers, doesn't solve search.

A sign of desperation if they go down this road.

Waze users would suffer as Apple locked it down and ruined it, drying up the data, and I don't trust Apple to integrate it well with their own (currently junk) data.

huges84

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Not to mention that WAZE was developed by former Apple employees. So they already know the Apple way, I think they should buy them, but keep a free app on Android, And make one for Windows.

It would be smart to continue support for other platforms since more active users means more data and its fresher too.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
I like Waze the way it is, thanks, without Apple taking over and messing things up.

iomar

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
I love Waze and use it everyday. Even when I don't need direction to anywhere. It alerts me of what is a head on the road. It is wonderful.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
How would an Apple app do in the Android or Microsoft space? Eye say do it before those companies buy this up!

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Dear Apple,

I love Waze. I'm glad you like them too.
Please work a deal out with them to license their data. You license TomTom's data.
Help Waze expand their great software. Combine Apple Maps and Waze. What a great product it could be.
Please do not buy them and restrict the software to iOS only.
Thank you.

edonohoo

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
I much prefer the idea of Apple getting Foursquare's data. To me, the downside with Apple maps has been the utter lack of results when searching. Addresses and driving within the greater Toronto area have been just fine. Not saying don't improve that since it seems to be the pain point for many, but for points of interest (restaurants, stores, etc) nothing has been better than gMaps but Foursquare could easily topple that.

I couldn't agree more. For me the maps are fine. It's the search data and points of interest that suck terribly. Google just owns apple there. But with Foursquare that all changes. Regardless of how many people internationally use foursquare, it can only improve their search results locally if Apple acquires them

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... because that probably means they will kill this awesome app/service. You, bastards! :/

Gee uStip, tell us what you really think.

It's amazing how emotional some can get over their twisted mental projections based on assumptions from the hearsay and sensationalistic media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.