Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
My apologies if this has been addressed heavily, but I could not find a reference via forum search.

I haven't personally run a Mac with 10.8 yet, but I was remotely connected to my mom's 10.8 machine today helping with some Adobe stuff. I noticed that with Finder open, and the "list view" chosen (2nd icon of the 4 views) I wasn't able to click on the different column headers to switch "arrange by" methods. In 10.6 I can click on "Name" or "Date" or "File Size" and so on to switch the arrangement preference. It's obviously quite convenient for rogue files. In 10.8 it seems that I have to either know the keyboard shortcut or go into the menu under "arrange by."

Was this feature stripped out of 10.8 or is there a preference I must change? I could not find anything by searching through view options for Finder nor the specific Finder window I had open.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
This works - as it has been always - without any problem on my Mac with OS X 10.8. I can only assume that it did not work in your case because something was funny with your remote control session - I experience sometimes strange things in remote control sessions, too, where mouse clicks just don't do what they are supposed to do.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
This works - as it has been always - without any problem on my Mac with OS X 10.8. I can only assume that it did not work in your case because something was funny with your remote control session - I experience sometimes strange things in remote control sessions, too, where mouse clicks just don't do what they are supposed to do.

Thanks for your input. I had her attempt clicking on the columns after it clearly wasn't working for me, but alas it didn't work for her either. I will have her test it without me connected.

I'm just relieved that this feature wasn't removed. Between all of the iOS modeled changes and the new styling of Finder's columns I feared the worse :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.