Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
First there was Siri ads that were just downright misleading in how efficient it works, then the annoying commercial all about the new panoramic shot mode. Which Android phones had for years. Embarrassing to have a whole commercial on this one feature. But now Apple have outdone themselves and made a commercial about the "Do Not Disturb" function. Really? A whole commercial again on one function that isn't all that big of a deal. And on top of that doesn't work on New Years. Really Apple?

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
Do not disturb feature worked fine for me this morning. Did anyone else here actually experience the bug or was it just a story we read on MR?

None of my friends experienced it either. Just wondering.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
What I experienced was the DND icon was still on the top banner, but I did still receive calls and texts. DND was still listed as "on" in Preferences, but I turned it off and the icon went away.

In any case, why does anyone care THIS MUCH about the commercials? You already have an iPhone. The ads are not aimed at you. They are aimed at people who don't have iOS devices yet but might be considering them. I which case, showing off features is EXACTLY what you're supposed to do.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
What I experienced was the DND icon was still on the top banner, but I did still receive calls and texts. DND was still listed as "on" in Preferences, but I turned it off and the icon went away.

In any case, why does anyone care THIS MUCH about the commercials? You already have an iPhone. The ads are not aimed at you. They are aimed at people who don't have iOS devices yet but might be considering them. I which case, showing off features is EXACTLY what you're supposed to do.

Yep, this. Was a bit surprised, though, about the latest commercial. It's basically about a horny man who is dreaming about girls and doesn't want to be disturbed, because in this case being disturbed is just 'wrong'. :p

Is an attitude I haven't seen from Apple in a while. It's less politically correct. And I like it.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Do not disturb feature worked fine for me this morning. Did anyone else here actually experience the bug or was it just a story we read on MR?

My iPad didn't turn off DND.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
The wood lining in Steve Job's coffin is probably worn through by now from him rolling in it.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The iPad Mini's was cute but the others yeah no edge whatsoever. Then again, Apple didn't really have any breakthrough product last year.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Embarrassing to have a whole commercial on this one feature.

Smart phones are kind of past the general "you can make calls and use the internet" phase of ads. We all know that.

You don't see car commercials that say "it can take you from home to the store and back!" We all know that so that's not what they put in the ads.

If you're expecting mobile phones to go back from listing unique features to just telling us what phones do in general...well I don't think you'll find many companies doing that from here on out.

EDIT: Also worth noting, every "I'm a Mac" Ad was about one feature. There was the time machine one. The camera drivers one. The "we have Microsoft Office" one. And so on.

Last edited:

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I don't understand why you're so worked up about it, iPhone ads seem just the same as they used to...

But I do enjoy iPad mini ads a lot more, I actually rewatch those on youtube on a regular basis.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
DnD turned off properly on both my iPad mini and iPhone 5.

I don't really worry about Apple's commercials, but they are nice to watch. I can definitely see how they might appeal to someone looking to buy their first Apple product. Better than showing a wife transferring an assumedly explicit video to her husbands phone by way of NFC... *cough Samsung*

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I don't buy anything based on commercials, only suckers do.

I don't think that's what Apple is aiming for. They want to get words into your head like "iPhone" and "iPad" so the next time you're near an Apple Store or Best Buy, etc, you'll be like "Oh yeah, I remember seeing xx on TV about the iPhone, let's go look."

It gets you interested and it gets you into a store where you'll find other products by the same company. Apple isn't set on making commercials so that you see it and automatically buy it. They show practical uses for hardware and software features so you realize it could be useful to have.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
http://www.jamillahwarner.com/marketing-communication-lessons-from-apple/

We associate weak communication with a weak product. So let’s take the time to get it right. Here are 3 lessons from Apple Commercials.

Visuals Matter
Don’t just use words to paint a picture. Let us see the new item in motion. Use video. Use photographs. Let us “see” it with words. Let us “touch” it with visuals. Never underestimate the power of an image, visuals matter in marketing and communication.

Less is More
Apple’s ads have a lot of white space in them. It’s designed to create a sense of openness. It shifts the focus onto the product that they are sharing and on to their words. There are no distractions and it makes it easy to connect with their key message.

Short is Sweet
One minute and two seconds. Two minutes and 15 seconds. Five minutes and 25 seconds. Some of these commercials aren’t even the length of a song and when that minute or two passes you understand what the ipod—ipad, mac air—whatever they are launching this week—you understand what it is and that you want one.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I don't think that's what Apple is aiming for. They want to get words into your head like "iPhone" and "iPad" so the next time you're near an Apple Store or Best Buy, etc, you'll be like "Oh yeah, I remember seeing xx on TV about the iPhone, let's go look."

It gets you interested and it gets you into a store where you'll find other products by the same company. Apple isn't set on making commercials so that you see it and automatically buy it. They show practical uses for hardware and software features so you realize it could be useful to have.

That makes more sense.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What is with Apple's commercials as of late?
What's with the fixation on the commercials? My iPhone works just fine regardless of the ads on TV. Unless you need convincing to buy something then why are the ads relevant? An ad just tells you whatever the manufacturer wants you to think of the product. I don't even rely on them for shopping.

Last edited by a moderator:

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca

This didn't affect me at midnight on NYE but it did on all my iDevice's last night. DND did not turn on at 11pm as scheduled last night on my iPhone but did on my iPad and neither turned off at the scheduled 7am this morning. I had to turn them both off this morning.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
First there was Siri ads that were just downright misleading in how efficient it works, then the annoying commercial all about the new panoramic shot mode. Which Android phones had for years. Embarrassing to have a whole commercial on this one feature. But now Apple have outdone themselves and made a commercial about the "Do Not Disturb" function. Really? A whole commercial again on one function that isn't all that big of a deal. And on top of that doesn't work on New Years. Really Apple?

I didn't realize the commercials could only show the features that no other phone has?!

I think it is fine to educate the people who don't have an iphone about what they could use it for.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
the new panoramic shot mode. Which Android phones had for years.

Indeed.
n4_cam18_verge_super_wide.jpg

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Pretty sad that people spend this much time thinking about ads.

Hey people in the ad business take it very seriously indeed.

But I don't think anybody here buy their phones for the ads, we talk about it here because Apple ads, in the past tend to make shots at the competition. 20 years later I can still remember the Macintosh ad with a single thin user guide popping on the table. We expect Apple Ads to be DIFFERENT, not so much lately.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Apple should hire the guy that does the Shamwow, Slapchop, and Schticky commercials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.