Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'm normally not the type of person who vents or projects my issues on here but this put me over the top, especially since this occurred within the first few minutes of 2013. I was really hoping to have a great start this year but instead, I have to deal with this issue. :(:mad: So with that said, I'll get to what happened.....

I was in the middle of a crowd where I was celebrating New Year's Eve and I had my iPhone out reading texts and attempting to reply to them before and after midnight. Shortly after midnight this really drunk guy came by dancing with his arms flailing about. The next thing I know, his arm hit my arm that was holding my iPhone really hard knocking it to the ground equally hard. While on the ground, my iPhone gets kicked around and stepped on, one of them being the drunk idiot. After picking it up, the provided pics is what it looked like.

I purchased AppleCare+ for my iPhone 5 in case of situations like this (after some debate). I would consider this to fall into AppleCare's accidental damage clause because some moron knocked my iPhone out of my hand, however, I'm not too sure if Apple will replace my iPhone in this condition (I'm just having the feeling that they may find a way of not honoring their accidental damage clause). And in case anyone was wondering, I babied my iPhone 5 to the point where I wouldn't let anyone touch it, my mother and the girl that I'm currently seeing included. Either way, I'll find out tomorrow afternoon when I get to my Genius Bar appointment at my closest Apple Store.

Thanks for reading and any feedback. I'm trying to turn a bad start to a better year so Happy New Year everyone!

Damage assessment:

-Destroyed screen
-Missing home button cover
-Dents on the aluminum
-Screen assembly no longer fits the aluminum back

Despite the damage you see, I can still make and receive calls using Siri. Messages still come in. The bottom speaker and mic still works. The LED light still works. I just can't input anything because of the destroyed screen.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.24.23 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.24.23 PM.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 687
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.24.35 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.24.35 PM.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 607
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.24.54 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.24.54 PM.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 282
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.25.44 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.25.44 PM.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 279
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.26.00 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 8.26.00 PM.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 277

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I would have confronted the guy that knocked it out of your hands. I'd be pretty upset if some drunken ****** knocked my $800 iPhone out of my hands and caused that kind of damage to happen to it.

I would take it to an Apple store nonetheless. I'm not sure if that would qualify under accidental damage but chances are they'll replace it for you knowing Apple's track record. Just be honest.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm normally not the type of person (snip)

It's what AppleCare + is for. Of course they will honor it. Just tell them what happened. They won't try to screw you over. New Year's Day is probably the biggest day for iPhone accidental damage replacements. Either that or St Patty's day I would guess.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I would have confronted the guy that knocked it out of your hands. I'd be pretty upset if some drunken ****** knocked my $800 iPhone out of my hands and caused that kind of damage to happen to it.

I would take it to an Apple store nonetheless. I'm not sure if that would qualify under accidental damage but chances are they'll replace it for you knowing Apple's track record. Just be honest.

How is that not accidental damage?

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
the AppleCare+ covers this.

You get 2 of them. Go in, get it swapped, and you are good to go

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
As long as they can see the serial number, they will replace it for the $49 plus tax.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Read the terms:
http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf
3.2 Accidental Damage from Handling
If during the Plan Term you submit a valid claim notifying Apple that the Covered iPhone has failed due
to accidental damage from handling (“ADH”), Apple will subject to the service fee described below either
(i) repair the defect using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in performance and
reliability, or (ii) exchange the Covered iPhone with a replacement product that is new or equivalent to
new in performance and reliability, and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product (both
individually known as a “Service Event”). ADH coverage will expire and all of Apple’s obligations to
you under this section 3.2 will be fulfilled in its entirety before the end of the Plan Term when
Apple, as a result of ADH claims, has provided to you two (2) Service Events. ADH coverage only
applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of
an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g., drops and liquid contact) that arises from your
normal daily usage of the Covered iPhone as intended for such Covered iPhone. ADH coverage does not
include (a) protection against normal wear and tear, theft, misplacement, reckless, abusive, willful or
intentional conduct associated with handling and use of the Covered iPhone, (b) protection against any
other act or result not covered by the Plan, as described in Section 4.2 below, or (c) any resultant
damage to the Covered iPhone that arises from one or more conditions described in Section 3.2(a) or (b).
You will pay a $49 (U.S.) dollar service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim, and may be asked
to provide an explanation of where and when the accident occurred with a detailed description of the
actual event. A claim will be denied

They can deny it if it's considered "reckless, abusive, willful or
intentional conduct". Whether or not your case qualifies is something you'll have to ask them about.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It's what AppleCare + is for. Of course they will honor it. Just tell them what happened. They won't try to screw you over. New Year's Day is probably the biggest day for iPhone accidental damage replacements. Either that or St Patty's day I would guess.

Agreed, they should replace it no problem.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
how is this even a question?

I don't see how this is *not* or could even be considered *not* accidental damage... This story is the DEFINITION of accidental damage.

OP, I hope you revise your "who gets to touch my phone' personal rule after this mishap. Life's short and things happen. Not letting your girlfriend or mom touch your phone didn't help in this situation and is now pointless. Consider that moving forward.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
Thank you everyone for your feedback and support. Honestly, not having an active phone really sucks, I feel like I've been cut off from the world. That's been the biggest inconvenience of this whole situation.

I was originally going to say that the negativity from the naysayers hasn't helped but I'll also remain a little skeptical about them replacing my phone outright despite their policy. I've been in situations where I really had to jump through hoops to get other things replaced/repaired, like from an insurance company. So I'll just expect the worst and hope for the best.

Believe me, I was very upset and would have liked nothing more than for this guy to pay for a replacement in case I get denied by Apple. And since this is a 64GB iPhone 5, the full price is what, over $900 after taxes?

intentional conduct". Whether or not your case qualifies is something you'll have to ask them about.

How is that not accidental damage?

Exactly, how is this not accidental? The drunk guy, who was outside of my control, caused the series of events that destroyed my iPhone. Isn't that what an accident is?

Carlton must be stopped! How many more iphones must we lose due to his carelessness??

Lol. The drunk guy wasn't too far off from Carlton.

how is this even a question?

I don't see how this is *not* or could even be considered *not* accidental damage... This story is the DEFINITION of accidental damage.

OP, I hope you revise your "who gets to touch my phone' personal rule after this mishap. Life's short and things happen. Not letting your girlfriend or mom touch your phone didn't help in this situation and is now pointless. Consider that moving forward.

Thanks. Like I said above, you and I can consider this an accident. However, I've had difficulties in the past about getting something replaced despite being told that the added insurance covers EVERYTHING.

I'm very particular about my stuff so I seldom let others use it. You're right though, despite it, my iPhone was still destroyed. So the best I can say is we'll see about bending that rule in the future. :)

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Why not just contact Apple and see for yourself? They will replace the phone though, no question in my mind.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Read the terms:

Well now, I see I am wrong in another thread about replacements. It probably helps if I actually read the T&C's at some point in time. Thanks for making that point, however, I wouldn't consider this case reckless by any means. Now if he was drag racing and trying to take a selfie when the car next to him crossed over and hit him, knocking his phone out the window and breaking, I would consider that reckless.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Read the terms:

Apple Care+ will replace your phone in almost all situations. The reason they have this clause is so that people can't just buy Apple Care plus and throw their phone off the top of the Eiffel Tower for kicks, or to make a youtube video and then get a new phone.

As long as you weren't TRYING to break the phone or were an incredible moron like "I was trying to throw the phone to my friend while we were upside down on a roller coaster to take a cool photo" there's no chance you will get your claim denied.

Honestly Apple Care+ has probably never denied a claim.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Is funny now because u got AppleCare+ That's what you paid for. The fine print is just something they threw in to limit liability, otherwise they'd be open to any and all idiocy people are capable of.

----------

Unless you are dumb enough to tell them you were xtreme biking and the phone, whoops, slipped out!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Think again before you confront some drunk guy. The OP is smarter than you.

Depending on when you got it, purchasing the iPhone with a credit card that offers 90 day accidental damage coverage would cover it too.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Unless you are dumb enough to tell them you were xtreme biking and the phone, whoops, slipped out!

Even that constitutes as accidental damage!

It's more of "I went extreme biking and wanted to see how much damage an iPhone 5 can take before exploding" that Apple would probably deny your claim.

Gr8fulMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
This is exactly what AppleCare+ is for & why you have it. I would be completely shocked if Apple refuses to replace for the $49. You'll undoubtedly be getting a new phone.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011

Why is that dumb? That would be covered under Applecare Plus.

As long as the serial number can be identified on the phone, Applecare Plus will replace the phone under most circumstances.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
I just got back from the Apple Store (well after running a couple of errands on the way home) and they replaced my iPhone 5 with a brand new one from a white box. I also had to pay the $49 by the way. Glad they took care of this with no hassle. :)

Now I just need to restore this iPhone from the backup of my old one and I should be good to go.

Speaking of backing up the destroyed iPhone..... Despite all the damage, I was still able to connected it to and sync it with my iMac. Although, this process took longer than usual. I'm assuming that iTunes or the iPhone itself was running a diagnostic of sorts when it was connected and was realizing all the damage. Let's just hope the restore process is just as smooth as the replacement process. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.