Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve19800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hello guys,

Just a quick question.
How many times Apple will replacing your iPhone? And when they decide to replace or repair? AFAIK, mostly they replace your iPhone instead of repair it. Thanks.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Hello guys,

Just a quick question.
How many times Apple will replacing your iPhone? And when they decide to replace or repair? AFAIK, mostly they replace your iPhone instead of repair it. Thanks.

Be more specific. How many times under applecare+? Twice within the warranty period for accidental damage. For other problems, I assume as many times as needed. For most things, yes, it will probably just be a replacement. I don't know what all they can actually repair in store. But if they were to do a repair, they probably have the same rules as most businesses. If you send it in for repair for the same thing more than 3 times, they'll just replace it.

If you're asking about accidental damage outside of warranty, then they'll replace it as many times as you want to pay for it.

steve19800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Be more specific. How many times under applecare+? Twice within the warranty period for accidental damage. For other problems, I assume as many times as needed. For most things, yes, it will probably just be a replacement. I don't know what all they can actually repair in store. But if they were to do a repair, they probably have the same rules as most businesses. If you send it in for repair for the same thing more than 3 times, they'll just replace it.

If you're asking about accidental damage outside of warranty, then they'll replace it as many times as you want to pay for it.

Well, how many times under standard one year limited warranty, no Apple extended warranty.

They will probably repair the product such as mac or something like that? As they are more expensive product I assume?

----------

Then if you are responsible for any additional cost under your product's warranty, what would that be? Cause AFAIK you don't have to pay anything if the product is faulty.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Repair/replace depends on the issue and prior attempts to rectify the matter. There's no fixed rule in this regard.

Then if you are responsible for any additional cost under your product's warranty, what would that be? Cause AFAIK you don't have to pay anything if the product is faulty.
Warranty covers defects. It does not cover any other damage.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
They replace it for you unlimitedly during the 1 year warranty as long as the problems you're getting are legitimate apple issues and not your fault.

steve19800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Repair/replace depends on the issue and prior attempts to rectify the matter. There's no fixed rule in this regard.

Warranty covers defects. It does not cover any other damage.

Alright. So they will perform the repair provided that you have presented satisfactory proof of the productʼs eligibility for such repairs. But at the same time you will be responsible for any additional charges applicable under your product's warranty.

You nder what is the additional charges would be?
I know if it is your fault then Apple won't cover anything at all but what is the additional cost would be if the product is defect?

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
You know what's kind of interesting to me, and I'm really not sure how relevant this analogy is, but here goes. You buy a brand new iPhone 5 under contract through your wireless carrier, it either arrives broken or has multiple cosmetic defects presumably caused during the manufacturing process, you return the device to Apple, whom then in turn provide you with a white-box refurbished phone. If I buy a $1,500 flat screen TV from Best Buy and four days after purchase it conks out or has some sort of manufacturing problem, I take it back to Best Buy and once verified as defective, I receive a BRAND NEW TV. That's quite a concept huh? All of us that didn't get the iPhone 5 at launch, and are now having issues are being given either repaired and/or refurbished phones back in return. Had we bought on launch day there would have been no refurbs available, so we would have been given a new device. Seems fair to me. Note the sarcasm?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
You know what's kind of interesting to me, and I'm really not sure how relevant this analogy is, but here goes. You buy a brand new iPhone 5 under contract through your wireless carrier, it either arrives broken or has multiple cosmetic defects presumably caused during the manufacturing process, you return the device to Apple, whom then in turn provide you with a white-box refurbished phone. If I buy a $1,500 flat screen TV from Best Buy and four days after purchase it conks out or has some sort of manufacturing problem, I take it back to Best Buy and once verified as defective, I receive a BRAND NEW TV. That's quite a concept huh? All of us that didn't get the iPhone 5 at launch, and are now having issues are being given either repaired and/or refurbished phones back in return. Had we bought on launch day there would have been no refurbs available, so we would have been given a new device. Seems fair to me. Note the sarcasm?

Here's another analogy. Your original defective iPhone managed to slip thru QC for whatever reason. Your refurb, by definition, has been inspected and tested fairly extensively before being released again into the wild. Ergo, it's not unreasonable to think that your refurb has less chance of problems going forward by virtue of more inspections.

Everyone expects new items to be perfect but the fact is that manufacturing on a grand scale just doesn't guarantee the truth of that actual experience anymore. Microwave ovens, leaf blowers, vacuum cleaners, barbecue grills, and so on, all have these sorts of glitches. We live in amazing & imperfect times.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Here's another analogy. Your original defective iPhone managed to slip thru QC for whatever reason. Your refurb, by definition, has been inspected and tested fairly extensively before being released again into the wild. Ergo, it's not unreasonable to think that your refurb has less chance of problems going forward by virtue of more inspections.

Everyone expects new items to be perfect but the fact is that manufacturing on a grand scale just doesn't guarantee the truth of that actual experience anymore. Microwave ovens, leaf blowers, vacuum cleaners, barbecue grills, and so on, all have these sorts of glitches. We live in amazing & imperfect times.

Okay? So what's your point versus my original statement? That we live in imperfect times?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Okay? So what's your point versus my original statement? That we live in imperfect times?

In my statement the sarcasm is lacking. It serves no one to be bitter; we all are subject to these circumstances sooner or later.

Also to point out that refurb is not necessarily a dirty word.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Also to point out that refurb is not necessarily a dirty word.

Okay, I'll bite. I agree sooner or later we all run into issues in one form or another, but is that supposed to give me some kind of solace? It doesn't. Refurb isn't a dirty word, you're right. My last refurb showed up with brown upper antenna seams, a gash along the upper left hand side of the device that was pure silver, and also had scratches on the anodized back of the device. As funny as it sounds, and I'm laughing as I type this, the earpiece was filled with white lint. You could tell it had some use to it. Would you accept that?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I would not. I would also go into an Apple store ASAP and return it, making certain that I inspect the next replacement while in the store, in the presence of an Apple employee. I have the luxury of living within 6 miles of 3 Apple stores so perhaps my situation is different. But no, I wouldn't accept that item and I think the circumstances that you describe are horrible.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I would not. I would also go into an Apple store ASAP and return it, making certain that I inspect the next replacement while in the store, in the presence of an Apple employee. I have the luxury of living within 6 miles of 3 Apple stores so perhaps my situation is different. But no, I wouldn't accept that item and I think the circumstances that you describe are horrible.

At least you're honest. I live maybe 15 miles from the nearest Apple Store, and I went in right after I received my first 5 with a broken auto-focus. That device came with a deep vertical gouge, not a scratch, behind the lock button. As well as a scratch to the left of the front facing camera underneath the glass screen. When I mentioned that to the Genius inspecting my phone he just shrugged his shoulders as if it was no big deal. I'm done with the Apple Store.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I am an honest person. :)

I would not give up so easily. Go again, taking the rubbish replacement and state your case to another employee, the Manager if you must. Since you say that the item looks like it was a wreck in the first place you should make sure to take your replacement receipt with you. Hopefully you haven't let too many days pass; if the flaws/damages were there previously, you don't want to be blamed for them.

Did your replacement come by delivery? I'd have been at the Apple store before they'd had time to drink their morning coffee.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I am an honest person. :)

I would not give up so easily. Go again, taking the rubbish replacement and state your case to another employee, the Manager if you must. Since you say that the item looks like it was a wreck in the first place you should make sure to take your replacement receipt with you. Hopefully you haven't let too many days pass; if the flaws/damages were there previously, you don't want to be blamed for them.

Did your replacement come by delivery? I'd have been at the Apple store before they'd had time to drink their morning coffee.

Came via FedEx. I called AppleCare as soon as I got home at 7:30PM. I was instructed by a Senior Advisor to send the phone back using the label the following day, which I did.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I say again: Get thee to an Apple store. If the item is befouled, make another exchange.

Point taken. She (the Senior Advisor I'm dealing with) is calling me back tomorrow to discuss the situation further. I will hear her out even though I had previously sworn her off as "dead to me". I'm shooting for a brand new device straight from China as another poster here mentioned he managed to receive after a couple failed white-box replacements. Don't get me wrong, I would take a white-box replacement if it was in good shape, but thus far all have had issues. I'm gonna start climbing the corporate ladder next.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Well there's the difference, the place of purchase. If you had purchased under contract the phone from Apple, you could have returned the product and then repurchase a new in box unit. Not Apple's fault that your provider doesn't accept returns without restocking fees.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Well there's the difference, the place of purchase. If you had purchased under contract the phone from Apple, you could have returned the product and then repurchase a new in box unit. Not Apple's fault that your provider doesn't accept returns without restocking fees.

I'm not complaining about a $35 restocking fee from Verizon. I'm talking about Apple doling out used phones to people in exchange for brand new devices that were delivered defective. To my knowledge, Apple are the only ones that ship their brand new phones sealed in plastic. My Razr and S3 came from VZW without plastic. You're missing my point. Okay, if I buy it from Apple directly then I can return it within 30 days for a full refund. Understood. But how does that fact change my general observation regarding Apple exchanging 2, 3, 4 day old devices for refurbs? I disagree with that, as I'm sure many others do as well.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008

I bought my wife an iphone 5 for Xmas using my upgrade that came flawed w something wedged between the screen and the case. I was told by the verizon reseller that I couldn't exchange it and it was up to apple to exchange it for me. I told him he could just have the phone back. He tells me there is a $75 restocking fee for iPhones, $35 for anything other phone. Needless to say I left there pissed and will never enter that store again. Apple exchanged the unactivated flawed brand new phone for a refurb. Wasn't happy getting a refurb but its looks like a new phone tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.