Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guantanamo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Help something has happened im trying to set up bootcamp on my mac i was strolling through when it got to the windows part i couldnt find which disk to use to install it and it said to try and reformat something so and it did that and after that finish i got stuck so i shut off my computer and now when it powers up my computer is stuck at a black screen with a white blinking underscore

Nov 28, 2010
located
how would i perform the disk utility thing

If you mean the "disk utility thing" linked to in the second link, that guide has the following to say:
  1. Start from the Recovery System or Internet Recovery (OS X Lion or Mountain Lion).
    If your computer shipped with a Mac OS X Install disc, insert the installation disc, and restart the computer while holding the C key.
  2. If using a Recovery partition or Internet Recovery (OS X Lion and later): When your computer finishes starting up, choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window.
    If using an installation disc: Choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
    Important: If you started from an installation disc, do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must start from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
  5. Select your OS X volume.
  6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I got it just before Christmas '13 upgraded specs 8gb ram one

Then you do not need the optical disk drive (ODD) yet, if you want to boot into Mac OS X or Recovery Mode.

Okay, since the links do not seem to work, we can do it this way:

Shut down your Mac by holding down the power button.
Start the computer by pressing the power button.
Immediately press the OPTION/Alt key.
Select which OS to boot from via the arrow keys.
Press Enter.

If you chose Mac OS X to boot into, it should be fine then.

If not, shut down the Mac again and press the power button to start it again.
Immediately press CMD+R to boot into recovery mode and select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

For further information about recovery mode and such, you can look at the links I provided, or the quote in post #4.

Moggy92

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
@macsupport Hi *this evening I tried to install windows 7 using boot camp for my MacBook pro. I was going though the options. I created the partition and ran the windows disk and began the windows setup. When it came to select where I wanted to place the Bootcamp file I went to click on continue but it said the file was the wrong format. So thinking that I broke my MacBook I shut it down. Now when I start it up with a message insert *disk or any key. How do I get back onto mac os?*

Nov 28, 2010
located
@macsupport Hi *this evening I tried to install windows 7 using boot camp for my MacBook pro. I was going though the options. I created the partition and ran the windows disk and began the windows setup. When it came to select where I wanted to place the Bootcamp file I went to click on continue but it said the file was the wrong format. So thinking that I broke my MacBook I shut it down. Now when I start it up with a message insert *disk or any key. How do I get back onto mac os?*

When you start the Mac via the power button, hold down the OPTION/Alt key to select which partition to boot from.
Then in Mac OS X delete the partition you wanted to install Windows onto via Disk Utility and expand the Mac OS X partition again.
Then start Boot Camp Assistant to create a partition for Windows with the size of your choice and follow the steps shown to you.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

PS: We are not an official Apple or Mac support forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.