Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some users discovered that the scheduling portion of the "Do Not Disturb" feature in iOS 6 failed to work after New Year's Eve. The scheduling would turn itself on as scheduled, but would fail to turn itself off again.

Apple reports in a support article that Do Not Disturb scheduling will begin working properly again after January 7, 2013.

dnd.jpg
Symptoms

After January 1st, 2013, Do Not Disturb mode stays on past its scheduled end time.

Resolution

Do Not Disturb scheduling feature will resume normal functionality after January 7, 2013. Before this date, you should manually turn the Do Not Disturb feature on or off.

To turn off the scheduling feature, tap Settings > Notifications > Do Not Disturb and switch Scheduled to Off.

Article Link: Apple Says 'Do Not Disturb' Bug to Resolve Itself on Monday, January 7th

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
None of my iOS 6.1 beta devices suffered from this issue, while my 6.0.x devices did. I wonder if this is an indication that Apple plans on the 6.1 release to be around the 7th.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
So what happens next year?

And what about other issues? Should we turn our phone off for several days?

Unacceptable Apple!

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
As a programmer, I'd be interested to learn why it will resolve itself on January 7th. Is it because it's the first Monday of the year? That would line up with last year's bug fixing itself on January 2nd.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
None of my iOS 6.1 beta devices suffered from this issue, while my 6.0.x devices did. I wonder if this is an indication that Apple plans on the 6.1 release to be around the 7th.

Nah. It just means for some reason the bug effects the first week of the year.

old-school

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
UK

No, the bug corrects itself on the first Sunday of each year. This bug will be squashed in the next update though, so I wouldn't expect to see this again next year.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
So what happens next year?

And what about other issues? Should we turn our phone off for several days?

Unacceptable Apple!

So true. I'm not usually one to cry "unacceptable" but this truly is. "Don't use it for a week and it will resolve itself" is just a crap answer for a third rate company, not acceptable for the "it just works" company.

The bug is so bad, that even the act of adjusting the on time for the feature turns it on instantly.

So, what else isn't working that Apple knows about and doesn't give a damn about? Privacy features? Security features?

They are basically telling millions of customers that they don't give a damn.

Google or Samsung need an add making fun on this one...

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
The first day I turned mine off and then on again, it worked. This morning, not so much - had to turn it completely off and leave it off.

Does the world end on Jan 6 and this is just Apple's way of not dealing with it?

herocero

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2003
down on the upside
wow

this is so absolutely mind-boggling. it will resolve itself on the 7th, so just relax? really? what a message to send to customers, i'm really floored.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So true. I'm not usually one to cry "unacceptable" but this truly is. "Don't use it for a week and it will resolve itself" is just a crap answer for a third rate company, not acceptable for the "it just works" company.

That's not what they said. You can manually turn it on or off. My guess is that by the time they got a patch out, it would already be 1/7/13. I noticed the issue on mine yesterday, but after manually turning it off yesterday, it seems to have resumed normal functions (meaning it turns on and off as normally). The risk in rushing out a patch is that they inadvertently screw up something else. This isn't affecting everyone who uses DND.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
No, the bug corrects itself on the first Sunday of each year. This bug will be squashed in the next update though, so I wouldn't expect to see this again next year.

Nah. It just means for some reason the bug effects the first week of the year.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks :)

----------

As a programmer, I'd be interested to learn why it will resolve itself on January 7th. Is it because it's the first Monday of the year? That would line up with last year's bug fixing itself on January 2nd.

Seems to be, which surprised me, but, ah well

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
More bad publicity. They just can't catch a break.

Maybe hire a few more testers since surely this was an obvious thing to test for.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey

My iPhone 5 which is running the beta of 6.1 is experiencing the issue. My iPad Mini which is running 6.0.2 seems uneffected.

Dont think its 6.0.x specific.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

The bug is so bad, that even the act of adjusting the on time for the feature turns it on instantly.

So, what else isn't working that Apple knows about and doesn't give a damn about? Privacy features? Security features?

Way to overblow an insignificant little problem.

As a programmer, I'd like to know the exact reason to wait a week for this to correct itself, and why this wasn't caught earlier. 2 years in a row with these types of bugs. Whenever I test dates while coding, I will reset the date of the device back to 11:59 on December 31st over and over again to test things. Maybe the bug doesn't crop up then?

It's a problem, but nothing anywhere close to the 'Sudden Death' Samsung Galaxy S3 problem, which Samsung is giving no clue as to when they will fix the bug except for saying 'they want to bring out an update as soon as possible'.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

I have the bug, but I manage to turn it off quite easily once I noticed the moon next to my signal bar. I did not know it was a bug, thought it was me that pressed the DND thanks to the party. I have not experience yet what you are referring about it adjusting time and turning on; it does make sense and is still the same bug. Last year there was another bug akin the first week of the year. Is not the end of the world so no need to change to android. It's not like android is the best os neither. I don't mind waiting until Monday, but they should have as cortesy send an email to all AppStore account emails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.