Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erko

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Estonia
Hey, my old trusty iPod Touch 2G decided not to turn on any more. The screen is black, I plug it it and nothing. The cable seems fine as it booted up another Touch. Is there anything I can do to make it usable again? I can't try to go into recovery mode, as the power button does not work. Also I don't know what happened prior to it not turning on, but I'll try to find out.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
How long did you leave it plugged in for? If the battery is completely drained it can take up to 10 minutes for the device to have enough juice to turn on. Even though it's plugged in, it still runs off the battery and will take some time, especially with an older iPod that's been charged hundreds of times. If it's not that, try using some compressed air to blow out the dock connector, to clean out any lint or debris that might be interfering with the connection. What you don't want to hear is that your iPod might just be done with it's life cycle. Depending on your capabilities and/or budget, it could possibly be fixed but it's probably not worth it.

tboyd37

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2012
brownsville pa
try this... you want to charge it off of a wall outlet if at all possible!!! not a usb port from a computer if you can avoid it.. that way you know the iPod is getting a good charge. plug it in.. leave it plugged in for 10-15 minutes.. if you have no response after that perform a hard reset on the iPod with it still plugged in(hold power button & home button for 10-15 seconds) that will hopefully bring the apple up.. if that doesn't work you may want to test it on your computer just to be sure(you may get lucky & your computer may pick it up) best of luck to you & let us know how it goes...

Erko

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Estonia
If it's not that, try using some compressed air to blow out the dock connector, to clean out any lint or debris that might be interfering with the connection.
Thanks, that did the trick! Used a toothpick to clean the connectors and blew some air into it to be sure. When I connected it, BAM, Apple logo. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.