Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesignIt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
What made you decide on the Ipad Mini over the Nexus 7, quality wise? I am a Mac person but am having a hard time justifying the higher cost of the Mini. What made Mini owners choose over the Nexus 7, which is much cheaper and arguably higher quality? (Internal stuff like processor & display...Obviously the Mini has better design and external build quality)

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Better and higher quality app selection
Software updates
Fluidity
More stable
Apple customer support
iPad mini is lighter and thinner
Larger display, more screen real estate
Higher quality hardware design
Back facing 5 megapixel camera
HD front facing camera

It might be the better choice if you already have other Apple products like an iPhone or Mac.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
ive got an iphone and macbook, integration is key. if you dont use the icloud features the nexus could be a good choice for the cost, but even just photostream sells the ipad over anaything else to me. then theres facetime and iMessage which are better now with ios6 and mountain lion

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
It depends on you. I much prefer the Nexus to the Mini, but I've got an iPad 3, Mac, and iPhone, so I am more interested in a different take on glass rectangles. The Mini is also a non-starter for me with that blurry screen, size, and price.

There is clearly a market for the Mini, but it isn't me. As far as quality goes, the Nexus doesn't feel as polished, but it is a solid device, and I think everyone agrees it is well worth the price.

cire1244

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
If you have/are willing to spend the extra money for an iPad Mini, definitely go for that. As a Mac user, you definitely won't regret it.

That being said, this is not a totally fair comparison because the price points are totally different. $200 vs $330 is a very big difference. iPad Mini is 65% more than a Nexus 7. It would be totally reasonable for someone to think an iPad Mini is the best tablet but throw it out of consideration from Nexus, Kindle Fire, Nook consideration because of price alone. For a lot of people, $200 can be a reasonable impulse buy while $330 is a lot more dough.

Just my two cents :)

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
If you have/are willing to spend the extra money for an iPad Mini, definitely go for that. As a Mac user, you definitely won't regret it.

That being said, this is not a totally fair comparison because the price points are totally different. $200 vs $330 is a very big difference. iPad Mini is 65% more than a Nexus 7. It would be totally reasonable for someone to think an iPad Mini is the best tablet but throw it out of consideration from Nexus, Kindle Fire, Nook consideration because of price alone. For a lot of people, $200 can be a reasonable impulse buy while $330 is a lot more dough.

Just my two cents :)

Exactly. The iPad mini isn't a $200 tablet so it shouldn't be compared to $200 tablets. It's a $330 tablet. Then again, Apple does price things higher than their competitors.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Why not compare? If you are in the market for a tablet, these are two of the top medium-sized options available in terms of specs and price. Something to read books, do email, and surf the Web on while you are at the gym? Maybe the Nexus is better for you.

evoixdan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Why not compare? If you are in the market for a tablet, these are two of the top medium-sized options available in terms of specs and price. Something to read books, do email, and surf the Web on while you are at the gym? Maybe the Nexus is better for you.

I agree, we should be comparing them.

I bought the Nexus 7, and had my doubts because every android device I've owned has been buggy, and the touch interface is years behind apple's.

Once again, I was let down. The display is nice, but there's a glitch that pops up once a week, no matter what I would be doing. It would look like Shinobi is slashing through the back of the screen, basically.

Also, many many times i would have to tap the button I wanted repeatedly before it would register my input. Same with scrolling. Sometimes it wouldn't recognize my gestures.

I do like the throw any file at it and it will play, but not all files play. I found that out the hard way that certain MKV files, audio won't play.

To me, the screen blip and the fact that it would take numerous attempts to get the screen to register my gestures made me return it after 21 days.

I also realized that I would rather have the 9.7'' screen vs the 7'' as far as watching movies goes. It's not that much bigger and worth it.

DesignIt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
All excellent Points.I can purchase the Mini on post (military) for $319 and the Nexus 7 32gb for $240, both tax free. I am extremely disappointed with Apple because they didn't include the retina display on the mini. If they had this wouldn't even be a debate. Bit of background on me, I am a Graphic Designer by profession and currently have a MacBook Pro w/adobe creative suite and just picked up the IPhone 5 last week. The display on my old IP 3gs didn't bother me until I started using the IP5. :)

I think I should just buy both and compare them for a few days, then return the "loser". :)

Thanks again for all the feedback!!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If I were buying a small tablet, I wouls choose the Mini for two reasons.

1. I'm already in deep with Apple and it works for me.

2. The screen's aspect ratio is superior for everything except for watching videos, And I spend very little time watching videos.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

Who uses a tablet at the gym? Might as well put my desktop PC onto a cart and roll it next to me, and plug in my headphones while on the treadmill. :rolleyes:

Sure, you could compare them but you don't get the same things for the same price. The Nexus 7 is more affordable at $200 whereas the iPad mini offers more for a higher price point which might not be as affordable.

----------

All excellent Points.I can purchase the Mini on post (military) for $319 and the Nexus 7 32gb for $240, both tax free. I am extremely disappointed with Apple because they didn't include the retina display on the mini. If they had this wouldn't even be a debate. Bit of background on me, I am a Graphic Designer by profession and currently have a MacBook Pro w/adobe creative suite and just picked up the IPhone 5 last week. The display on my old IP 3gs didn't bother me until I started using the IP5. :)

I think I should just buy both and compare them for a few days, then return the "loser". :)

Thanks again for all the feedback!!

Why would they put the Retina display on a first generation product? What would they put into the iPad mini 2, besides a better CPU, if the current mini had a Retina display?

DesignIt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
I don't think the IPad Mini offers more, it just offers different things. Just because Apple priced themselves out of this market, doesn't mean they shouldn't be compared. Ask any hardcore PC guru and they compare the two all day long and are amazed that the Mini even sells, with the Nexus 7 as an alternative. (Just trying to play devils advocate)

I am deep into the Mac ecosystem, hence why I'm looking into the Mini. I have no problem paying extra, I'm just afraid Ill be disappointed with the display quality.

----------

Why wouldn't they? Apple is supposed to be known for moving the market forward not backwards. To answer your question, they would put the new display they are researching, that trumps even the retina display. (I think sharp is the manufacturer, don't recall atm)
Who uses a tablet at the gym? Might as well put my desktop PC onto a cart and roll it next to me, and plug in my headphones while on the treadmill. :rolleyes:

Sure, you could compare them but you don't get the same things for the same price. The Nexus 7 is more affordable at $200 whereas the iPad mini offers more for a higher price point which might not be as affordable.

----------

Why would they put the Retina display on a first generation product? What would they put into the iPad mini 2, besides a better CPU, if the current mini had a Retina display?

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Have both and like the mini far more. The Nexus bezel is huge beyond belief, especially at the top bottom. It's useful on the sides but that's because the software doesn't have the thumb rejection functionality that the mini has.

Reading is a pain because the screen is too narrow in portrait. Videos look weird because the screen is too squished in landscape. I'm a believer in the 4:3 aspect ratio for tablets. Much better experience. Also, the soft buttons take up screen space, making the usable screen area much less than the mini's.

And of course, all the usual complaints about the fragmented google play store. More than once found apps that weren't compatible with the nexus. Never happens on my mini.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I don't think the IPad Mini offers more, it just offers different things. Just because Apple priced themselves out of this market, doesn't mean they shouldn't be compared. Ask any hardcore PC guru and they compare the two all day long and are amazed that the Mini even sells, with the Nexus 7 as an alternative. (Just trying to play devils advocate)

I am deep into the Mac ecosystem, hence why I'm looking into the Mini. I have no problem paying extra, I'm just afraid Ill be disappointed with the display quality.

----------

Why wouldn't they? Apple is supposed to be known for moving the market forward not backwards. To answer your question, they would put the new display they are researching, that trumps even the retina display. (I think sharp is the manufacturer, don't recall atm)

It offers more in that it has a higher res front camera in addition to a 5mp back camera, it's made with higher quality materials, and has higher quality apps.

Now I'm not saying the iPad mini is actually better, as that's based on personal preference. I could also say the Nexus 7 has more RAM, a faster processor, better GPU, can be customized more, etc.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Back when I bought my Nexus 7, it's key advantage was in its existence (the Mini was still a rumour, albeit a pretty solid one back then). Now I have the Nexus and the Mini is no longer a rumour. The Mini's big, big disadvantage to me is that the Nexus 7 is good enough that I can wait for gen 2 Mini, if I want to (jury's out on that one - I have a stack of Amex rewards I can redeem for PC World vouchers). It's a nice position to be in, so I'm not complaining.

Oh, and for the record, I prefer the Mini overall.

Kayakphotos

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Naples, FL
1. I prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio and larger screen real estate on the min. I browse in landscape and this gives me a lot more screen real estate.

2. I like the iOS UI and its smoothness.

3. The best App Store.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
My wife is using a 16gb mini and I have the 4g nexus 7. I actually enjoyed using her mini and I was close to buying a 32gb lte model last night. What stopped me was the realization that I was spending literally double just to change ecosystems. The mini may be better, but I don't think it's worth paying almost twice as much. The apple app store is amazing compared to android but I honestly would only use it to read books and surf the internet. the Nexus 7 fits in my pocket much better than the mini so I decided to keep the Nexus and I will use her mini whenever I'm feeling jealous.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I had both but returned the N7 because as others have said it was just too buggy. Yes the screen was crisper buts crisper screen versus a very fluid polished UI did it for me.

The only thing I found was that the Nexus was easier type on with your thumbs. And as I had a 3G one, I could use GO SMS to message people. That was cool.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I just ordered the Nexus 7 with Cell. So that is a 32 GB one that connects to AT&T. It goes for $300 and it would cost $460 to get a 16GB mini with cell. I could probably get by with 16GB mini with just some judicious purging of Apps. And that would get me an LTE connection. So I think that is a fair comparison between the two. I played with the Nexus 7 in person last week and it had a great screen and little lag. I just couldn't justify the extra price for the mini when it didn't have a retina-ish level screen. Also I've already got an iPad 3. I probably would have gone with the Mini if it was going to be my only tablet.

I will report back once I've had the Nexus 7. I'm looking forward to seeing how different the Apps and customization levels are.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...Why would they put the Retina display on a first generation product? What would they put into the iPad mini 2, besides a better CPU, if the current mini had a Retina display?

By that logic, why would they put it in the Mini 2 because what will they put in the thrid one, or the fourth one, etc.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I just ordered the Nexus 7 with Cell. So that is a 32 GB one that connects to AT&T. It goes for $300 and it would cost $460 to get a 16GB mini with cell. I could probably get by with 16GB mini with just some judicious purging of Apps. And that would get me an LTE connection. So I think that is a fair comparison between the two. I played with the Nexus 7 in person last week and it had a great screen and little lag. I just couldn't justify the extra price for the mini when it didn't have a retina-ish level screen. Also I've already got an iPad 3. I probably would have gone with the Mini if it was going to be my only tablet.

I will report back once I've had the Nexus 7. I'm looking forward to seeing how different the Apps and customization levels are.

The N7 is HSPA+ where is the Mini is LTE...huge difference

I had the N7 for a few weeks, but decided to return it back to Staples. OP, you can do that, buy it at Staples and return without restocking fee if you don't like the Nexus 7.

Sounds a little fanboyish in here. The N7 was very fluid and didn't lag anywhere. Jelly Bean is very functional. However, the touch feel of the device was very spotty and Chrome for the N7 sucked BAD. I won't get into details about both OS, but each has it's pros and cons. At the end of the day, Android just isn't for me. I gave the Nexus 4 and 7 both hardcore test drives.

I am picking up a Mini this weekend for these reasons

1. Ecosystem (iPhone and Mac user)
2. App Store
3. Hardware design
4. More accessories
5. Apple Store close by if problems occur (do that with a Nexus device :rolleyes:)
6. Resell value (still will be able to get most money back when Mini 2 comes out)

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012

I've been using the iPad 1 in my home gym for more than 2 1/2 years. When I'm on the treadmill, I use headphones to watch videos. When I'm lifting, I plug it into the stereo system to watch videos and listen to music that I don't have on CD.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
5. Apple Store close by if problems occur (do that with a Nexus device :rolleyes:)

Good post, and I wanted to single out this one item. That's something many people don't factor in, the support network, and the fact there's a corporate store, that supports their own product (with hardware and software designed by the same company).

That in and of itself adds value that I don't mind paying [more] for. :)

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003

I am about as big of an Apple fanboy as you can get, going back to the days of the Apple IIe. I went to the store to check out the mini. Love the form factor and how thin it is. HATED the screen. Text looks horrible on it, to my eyes. Maybe it's because I'm coming from the iPad 3 and never owned the first or second gen models so I don't know what a non-retina display looks like. But for the money they are charging for the iPad mini, I don't think it's worth it unless you are really tied to a smaller tablet and the Apple ecosystem. I say go with the Nexus or a Kindle Fire HD and save some bucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.