Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
Hello,
I have a Air mid 2012,and well am on vacations,and my Air just can't find my wi-fi connection.
I have done a reset on the router,restart-shut down the air,tried everything,it will find the network and connect to it for 2-3 times after reset but then again can't find it.
This when iPhones,iPad and a PC are working totally fine.My iPhone next to it shows connected to my wi-fi whereas Air can't find the network :eek:.
It is showing my neighbours connection but not mine :confused:

Pavel08

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
I have kinda the same problem. The wifi is working good on my iPad and doesnt work at all on my MBA mid 2012(I have the wifi name on the list but it wont connect at all). What to do?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have kinda the same problem. The wifi is working good on my iPad and doesnt work at all on my MBA mid 2012(I have the wifi name on the list but it wont connect at all). What to do?

To reset all network configurations move or delete the following folder and restart, keep in mind all network settings are lost so best is to copy or move this folder to the desktop instead of deleting.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

If the Library folder is invisible, press Command-Shift-G, a window will open and paste /Library/Preferences/ into the box and hit Enter.

Restart and try again if the problem is solved.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
To reset all network configurations move or delete the following folder and restart, keep in mind all network settings are lost so best is to copy or move this folder to the desktop instead of deleting.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

If the Library folder is invisible, press Command-Shift-G, a window will open and paste /Library/Preferences/ into the box and hit Enter.

Restart and try again if the problem is solved.

Well I tried this,didn't help,it still can't find my wi-fi network. :(

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Just a crazy thought: Select your location from Apple menu top left (if you have created more than 1).
Then, if you go to System settings > Network is there the wifi networking added for the specific location you have selected ?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Well I tried this,didn't help,it still can't find my wi-fi network. :(

I remember something now, do you have any USB 3 device connected to your Mac, they can interfere with Wifi, Apple warns about this and says to not place USB 3 near to the Wifi antenna.
It's a known problem.

But, if this is not the case, try changing the channel on the Wifi router, or completely reset the router.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
Just a crazy thought: Select your location from Apple menu top left (if you have created more than 1).
Then, if you go to System settings > Network is there the wifi networking added for the specific location you have selected ?

Um aint the location set to automatic,the problem is it connected to it for 2 or 3 times and after that it can't seem to find that connection when every other device at home can :mad:

I remember something now, do you have any USB 3 device connected to your Mac, they can interfere with Wifi, Apple warns about this and says to not place USB 3 near to the Wifi antenna.
It's a known problem.

But, if this is not the case, try changing the channel on the Wifi router, or completely reset the router.

Nopes,I removed the USB 3 devices too,actually I have given up :(.Using my windows laptop for 1 more week am here,then as school starts and I head back,these problems will be behind and next time I will carry my own router with me when I visit home :cool:

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
It's a known problem.

Out of curiosity, where is the antenna located in a 2012 MBA?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I've had this turn up a couple times on our MBA 13. If I turn Wi-Fi off then back on the issue seems to clear up.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I work at a school with 200 mid-2012 13" MBAs. I do notice a few of them occasionally have flaky wifi. I typically cycle the wifi on and off, logout / login, and then reboot if all else fails. Most of the time they'll finally find it after one of these steps. If not, I reset PRAM, run fsck, and if it still won't connect it goes off to the AASP.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Hello,
I have a Air mid 2012,and well am on vacations,and my Air just can't find my wi-fi connection.
I have done a reset on the router,restart-shut down the air,tried everything,it will find the network and connect to it for 2-3 times after reset but then again can't find it.
This when iPhones,iPad and a PC are working totally fine.My iPhone next to it shows connected to my wi-fi whereas Air can't find the network :eek:.
It is showing my neighbours connection but not mine :confused:

I have this problem, i resolved this by going into my router settings and changing the channel from auto to 11.

Verix

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
I've been on channel 11 for years on my apple router, and recently had major slowdowns. Went to channel 3 and all is fine. Always good to check out what channel you are on (and what other channels in your street are using- I used InSIDDer for this, channel 3 seemed the sweet spot).

rumorspreader

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
I have a similar problem

I have had this macbook air for a few months, and the wifi at my house has never failed. Then I started bringing it to school, and the wifi connected just fine until a few months after when it suddenly stopped working with my school wifi. If I go into system preferences, it sometimes says that it is connected, and it sometimes says it is not, but there is always a ! on the wifi logo on my menu bar. I did a few diagnostics, and i managed to get it to connect to the wifi, the wifi settings, the network settings and the ISP, but i could never get it to connect to the internet or the server. I cannot reset the router or change anything on it because it is my schools, and every other device can connect just fine. I have trien many methods and I need to get it to work for my schooling. ANy help is greatly apprecianted, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.