Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
might strong rhetoric for a minor feature that didnt exist a few months ago.

Its amazing how quickly we come to depend on things though. I love DND. I'll go back to manually turning it on for now, and I'm not super happy about this issue –*but I'll get over it.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I depend on scheduled DND on my iphone to let me sleep without noises, vibrations, or light coming from my phone in the middle of the night. it keeps me (and my wife) sleeping soundly

heavens...what did you do prior to the release of iOS 6 three months ago!? i can only imagine your discomfort all these years.

regular DND it's a life-saver in a meeting.

huh? how does DND save your life in meetings where Silent would not?

but more than that, it's a feature i PAID for.

kinda. me, i downloaded it as part of a free update.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
lol... awesome, I'm going to start using this on my boss at work:

"Don't worry brah... I know I'm absent without explanation, but hang tight, I'll be back on the 7th."

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Its amazing how quickly we come to depend on things though. I love DND. I'll go back to manually turning it on for now, and I'm not super happy about this issue –*but I'll get over it.

agreed. when im checking my texts over a bowl of cereal ill turn if off.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
None of my iOS 6.1 beta devices suffered from this issue, while my 6.0.x devices did. I wonder if this is an indication that Apple plans on the 6.1 release to be around the 7th.

6.1 beta 4 had the issue for me on the first, but nothing since...even though it's only one day later.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
for all of the "it just works" messaging that apple marketing loves to spew, it sure does get a lot of date and time bugs that should NEVER make it out of QC.

When was the last time they used the "It just works."? You're talking 2007 and it was referring to OS X, not the iPhone or iOS. :rolleyes: Start applying it to everything even years later. Is it still The New Generation Of Olds?

I'm sure Apple would refund you for the portion of features not working on your phone. You'd be looking at about 0.1¢. But you paid for that.

Glass

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2006
Wtf..

I haven't posted in years.. but WTF kind of message is Apple sending these days? How often can a date issue happen!!

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
All these whiners on here makes me wonder what people ever did prior to the iOS 6 update. :rolleyes:

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
I haven't posted in years.. but WTF kind of message is Apple sending these days? How often can a date issue happen!!

BTW: Don't set any appointments or reminders for Feb 13th, 2014 as that date hasn't yet been added to the iOS 6 calendar database.

----------

All these whiners on here makes me wonder what people ever did prior to the iOS 6 update. :rolleyes:

I turned off my phone. :D

00sjsl

Contributor
Jul 23, 2011
Hampshire, UK
Are people really this upset about this? How did you all cope before DND even existed just last year?
It is a bug where a phone could miss incoming calls, not such a small thing depending on what calls you miss. Also it is part of a bigger picture where Apple sw is not as reliable as it was, it does not "just work", which was the whole point of paying the Apple tax.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If only there was a DnD app in the App Store that provided more functionality than Apple's offering. I only see two or three DnD-type apps and none of them look particularly good. If there was a good third-party DnD app, Apple could recommend that we all go download that while they get their stuff together and/or the bug works itself out. That solution seemed to work for Apple Maps, anyway.

The Daylight Savings jump should be fun this year if this little bug is any indication. Maybe my phone will spring ahead four hours and wake me up when it's really only 3 AM.

Last edited:

JangoFett124

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
The issue isn't the bug, or the consequences of the bug, which most people are actually having a snicker about. It's the attitude and competence of Apple that's at question. DND is trumpeted as a major feature of iOS6 - yet a competent programmer could have written and fully tested it in a week, possibly a day. And it doesn't even work! They can't claim 1st of Jan was some unforeseen edge case... unless they thought the Mayan prophesies were true.

Sounds like you're not a developer. There are a lot of edge cases out there, especially when working with dates. In hindsight it's an obvious edge case, but before hand there are a ton of scenarios and not all can be tested. Bugs happen.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It magically fails again on 1st Jan 2014. Apple have shown no sign that they've worked this out yet so don't bet on a fix.

They have a year to fix it - it's been 2 days, and all their devs are probably on holiday. Give them a break (but then you'd have to stop hating Apple ;)). And as is stated above, this is more than likely a very simple date formatting error - which is very easy to do, very easy to miss and can quite easily slip through unit tests too.

Calendar logic is not a simple thing, it's probably one of the more complicated "day-to-day" thing programmers have to do.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
this is so absolutely mind-boggling. it will resolve itself on the 7th, so just relax? really? what a message to send to customers, i'm really floored.

They told everyone it will resolve itself on the 7th, because it will. They never said to relax. What the hell do you expect them to do patch it and release an update in under a week when the problem will fix itself? Honestly..

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
So true. I'm not usually one to cry "unacceptable" but this truly is. "Don't use it for a week and it will resolve itself" is just a crap answer for a third rate company, not acceptable for the "it just works" company.

The bug is so bad, that even the act of adjusting the on time for the feature turns it on instantly.

So, what else isn't working that Apple knows about and doesn't give a damn about? Privacy features? Security features?

They are basically telling millions of customers that they don't give a damn.

Google or Samsung need an add making fun on this one...

I agree. A lame solution. They should patch it for those that use it

ed724

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
What a bunch of cry babies complaining about the answer from Apple. As if your life revolves around this feature working or not working for a week. Oh, wait, I guess it does. :eek:

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
As a programmer, I'd be interested to learn why it will resolve itself on January 7th. Is it because it's the first Monday of the year? That would line up with last year's bug fixing itself on January 2nd.

Seconded. Is there some kind of array issue, like an extra week of null scheduled events?

Mckenzieshelle

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Could be so much worse. All this complaining kinda make us a bit PC. We could be windows 8 users right? Just chill it will work it's way out which is the beauty of the apple. It's all about perspective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.