Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I guess you are one of those programmers who has never made a mistake. You should probably go and work for Apple to prevent this from ever happening again. And I don't see what the problem is with their attitude. If you look at the turnaround time for Google's December bug, it was filed on November 14, the patch went in on November 19, and OTA started rolling out on November 27. If Apple was to have similar timing, it could say that an update would be out in 2 weeks, or they could say it will resolve itself in 5 days. Which is better?

This is the third time they've publicly screwed up on scheduled events on a calendar date that everyone knew was coming. I'm barely more than an amateur but I've written software that had scheduled events everywhere. It has survived daylight savings, new years and leap years in the years it's been running. And I don't have a hundred billion dollars to hire a bit of help. If they can't be bothered to unit test has it not occurred to Apple to run an iPhone a month ahead of the rest of us so that they can spot issues and get patches out?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
well i guess I won't get any sleep from now until the 7th. God I love waking up to emails that jeans are 20% off :rolleyes:

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
So the bug didn't occur on my device yesterday morning (1/1/13), but then it did this morning (1/2/13). Is that consistent with what others are experiencing?

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
People, are you all idiots? You don't think they will release an update before the next ****ing new year? Also, how could they fix this problem so quickly after it happens when it will fix itself so soon? They would have to push an update way too quickly. Apple has bugs, EVERYONE HAS BUGS. What the hell is so bad about them saying the truth to us?

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
So what happens next year?

And what about other issues? Should we turn our phone off for several days?

Unacceptable Apple!

Agree. It is totally unacceptable. Apple have lost the plot to even make that suggestion. The other phone makers must be having a good ol' chuckle about it.

Don't forget to set a reminder for next year to turn DND off manually.
Oh hang on a second, maybe reminder will fail too.

Maybe tie a piece of string around our finger to remind us to check if reminder will work to remind us to check DND as next year passes.

pfft

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
This is really annoying, especially since I had also set it to reject calls except VIP numbers when on Do Not Disturb. Normally a great feature to guarantee a good night's sleep.

It took me until yesterday evening to notice it hadn't switched off after the night (when I read about the bug here) so I could have lost some calls.

Poor cry-baby might have missed a call. Anyone that needs to use this feature to screen calls likely doesn't get any that are of much importance anyway.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
So what happens next year?

And what about other issues? Should we turn our phone off for several days?

Unacceptable Apple!

No joke. What is the deal with Apple that they come off with the "You're holding it wrong" mentality on every issue these days. NO Accountability! Apple has gotten too big for their own good. Rediculous!!!:mad::mad:

----------

People, are you all idiots? You don't think they will release an update before the next ****ing new year? Also, how could they fix this problem so quickly after it happens when it will fix itself so soon? They would have to push an update way too quickly. Apple has bugs, EVERYONE HAS BUGS. What the hell is so bad about them saying the truth to us?

You're saying Apple couldn't patch that in about 2 seconds? Talk about idiots

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
Certainly, Apple failed again concerning their calender-related apps. Nonetheless, it's just embarassing how much people care about a feature that doesn't work 100% properly but can easily manually be handled the way the user wants it to by toggling the switch by themselves - a matter of seconds - and it's all over in 4 days.
Just embarassing. Both sides.

hotrock3

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
Everyone seems to be getting all upset that it will fix itself after a week. Lets be realistic, IF Apple even made a fix and then pushed it out it would take most of that first week anyways, so they would have spent tons of time and money to get a fixed update out 2 days before the problem solved itself AND THEN people have to actually update. What percentage of people update right away? Many wouldn't even notice that there was an update till days after it resolved itself.

If you can't make it through a weeks worth of nights without being woken up too much my callers then you need to set boundaries with the people who are calling you that you don't deem important enough to answer in the middle of the night.

I get an occasional call in the middle of the night, it isn't my favorite thing in the world but it is usually better than not getting the call. Last thing I want to see when I walk into work in the morning is water spewing everywhere or the power out and know nothing about it. Everyone else that calls me knows when I'm asleep and knows not to call.

TL;DR: Apple isn't going to spend thousands of dollars worth of time to push an update to fix a problem ~2 days early so that they hope people see that the update is out and download and install it nor do I expect them to do so.

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
Poor cry-baby might have missed a call. Anyone that needs to use this feature to screen calls likely doesn't get any that are of much importance anyway.

I knew some asshat like you would comment like this. Obvious you don't have important calls that you only want to receive. Or, you don’t mind getting woke up at 3AM from a unwanted phone call, text or notifications.

You keep on defending Apple and their programmers. They are GODS among boys in your eyes and when they do make a mistake, no matter how big it is, you will still defend them.

I agree, that is not really a big deal, but to sit here and make one person’s life less meaningless than yourself is wrong. Grow up a little and have a little perspective from someone else’s view.

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
moaning about a software bug that is taking a whole 7 days to fix? not bad if you ask me especially for a non critical bug.

Actually, it's (they are) not going "to fix" it.
Apple want you to ride it out until the 7th.

It just means the time frame in which this bug had effect will pass. If you don't update iOS (an indeed if they don't address it in future updates), it would mean you'd most likely have the same problem again next year.

People keep saying this is a "minor problem", but it is indicative of sloppy programming. Any programmer would agree.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Seriously people, chill out...

If you really are disturbed out this, next year, take a holiday over christmas and new year, two weeks in the bahamas and relax.

FFS people are starving all over the world, and this is what your pissed about

#perspective

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
Given that they're coming off a holiday, and that they won't be efficient in patch release (as always), it's unlikely they'd deploy anything before then anyways.

Someone made an oopsie in the code but fortunately it only hits this week; next years solution will be baked into 6.1.

Dude, I am a programmer. I understand that unintented crap happens in code. I am sure they didn't expect this to happen. Besides, this is a bit of an inside joke between me and a work colleague. I was hoping he saw my post. I didn't expect to see an update to fix this, but still this type of bug, is unacceptable. Date/Time is not a new concept when it comes to computers/phones, etc. Must have been someone they let go last year...lol

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
"I'm too lazy to turn off my phone because it is bothering me, so I have a program on it that keeps it silent for a set period of time."

FIRST. WORLD. PROBLEM.

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
Is it so hard people can't just do it manually, sure the issue shouldn't of happened but is it really that hard ?

chago04

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
I have never used mine and today I am having issues with not receiving any notifications from my phone. What the heck is going on?

The last week or so has been really buggy on my phone in general.

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
No joke. What is the deal with Apple that they come off with the "You're holding it wrong" mentality on every issue these days. NO Accountability! Apple has gotten too big for their own good. Rediculous!!!:mad::mad:

----------

You're saying Apple couldn't patch that in about 2 seconds? Talk about idiots

Actually, no, they can't patch it in 2 seconds. Could they fix it in code in 2 seconds, maybe, but to be able to release a patch with just that fix, not going to happen since they are already working on the next iOS version. I can see them having a frozen version of iOS 6.0.2, but I can't see them making a special version/patch for just this one thing. While this is a pain in the butt for some people, it will self reslove on the 7th, so they say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.