Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Few days ago I received an iPad 4 16GB as a gift , last night I was doing some late night studying on it , fell asleep, woke up 5AM busy busy day , Came home just now Picked up the iPad and its cracked........... I have no idea how the crack happened and its a big crack, the purchase date was Dec 28th didnt even get a chance to buy AppleCare+ which I planned on doing is there anything Apple can do or am I SOL? any in warranty replacement or anything???

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say the crack happened all by itself. Apple OTOH will treat any major crack as neglect or abuse. :)

You have a few options. Take your iPad 4 to your nearest Apple store and plead for mercy and hope they will exchange. Call your credit card company and see if you have a 45 day accidental insurance with your CC purchase. Most CC companies include that in their member benefits.

If you are covered by your CC company then get it replaced.

In the future don't keep your iPad in bed if you think you will fall asleep. The last thing you want to do is roll over and accidentally crush it.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
it was a GIFT from my boss.............. I can ask him if he paid with an AMEX card, Will going to the Apple store do anything?right when I thought about purchasing AppleCare+ this happens not even a week .... so depressed

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
That would not be the best thing to ask your boss. He could take it as you being irresponsible.

Your best bet is to hope you get a nice Apple Rep to replace it for free, or pay the $219.00 and you still are coming out ahead.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Here is the pic excuse the smudgy screen didn't want to wipe anything and cause the screen to just fall apart :(

Attachments

• IMG_20130102_160847.jpg
    IMG_20130102_160847.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 570

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
I would try the begging route first, and if that doesn't work, go buy some clear packing tape. It looks like you only damaged the bottom and you'll be able to get a lot of use out of the device before paying $200-ish dollars for a replacement. Just cover up the bottom with tape to stop glass falling out and you'll be fine.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Apple store in 2 hours, fingers crossed this just sucks...

You can buy insurance for up to 30 days from Square trade.com. I would check them out for the damage to your iPad. I use them and they are very reputable. Let us know how everything works out for you.

criticalb

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
I remember reading on here that a lot of people with damage to their iPhones had luck getting AppleCare after the fact by calling to set it up rather than taking it to the store for an inspection. I imagine not everyone lives close enough to an apple store for an inspection to be practical so they probably will do it over the phone without one.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
If Apple won't give you a free replacement don't shell out any cash on one, just buy some insurance (AppleCare or otherwise) and get a replacement off that. You'll have to pay an excess of course but it'll be significantly less than $250.

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
The cracks are up near the camera, does the camera still work?

If everything still works, I wouldn't even worry about it personally. Like someone else said, throw some tape over the broken areas to prevent getting cut and any glass from falling out and call it good.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
The only way to get AppleCare+ at this point is taking it in and having them see it's in fine condition. Obviously it's not. Curious to see the OP's experience from going in.

You can get AppleCare plus by phone. They just ask for the purchase date. It costs $100. When you take in for exchange you will be charged another $50. I had my mini under my arm and it slipped and hit the floor. The screen is VERY thin and even though I had a leather protective case the screen completely shattered.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This is why parents are encouraged not to sleep with infants in the bed ... you roll over on your baby and kill it. (not trying to make a joke here.)
Well, an iPad isn't a baby so ... ;)

The only way to get AppleCare+ at this point is taking it in and having them see it's in fine condition. Obviously it's not. Curious to see the OP's experience from going in.

That is what I thought but people seem to think otherwise. I can't insure a car, for example, after I've crashed it.

I hope his boss used an AMEX card or one with similar benefits.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Update, So I went to the apple store met with up a Genius , Hey whats up I'm so and so how can I help you, ME: are you ready for this to the genius big FML today Took the lid off the box and he is like oooooh, ME: yeah Just received it 4 days ago it was gift didn't even enjoy it. Genius: did it come out of the box like that? ME: Of course not it was brand new when it came I used it for a few hours over the past couple of days I was using it last night, fell asleep, woke up had to errands to run, by the time I got home I see my iPad faced down on my bed I pick it up to use it and boom it was cracked < I guess My foot must've it hit while sleeping or something pressed on it, I knew 2013 wouldn't start on a good note isn't 13 an evil unlucky number? lol he just :D so he pulls up the serial number blah blah I'm waiting calm and collected he says yeah I can replace it I have 2 in stock for $299, would've been nice if you had AppleCare+
ME: I know I was planning on it for sure, but realize it I only had it for less than a week I didn't expect this to happen , Genius : well that's what you call an Accident, Accidents happen , ME: yeah I totally understand it's definitely my fault, and it does sucks is there anything else you can do I plan on getting AppleCare+ but 299+100 might as well buy a new one and forget that it was even a gift , there must be something you can do , he waits and like noo I only have 2 in stock, I was like nothing at all? he waits and says BRB, comes back and says grab ur stuff lets talk a walk to the back I was like sure, Genius Ok I'm going to offer you a good deal the best I can do I brought you here because I don't want others to here this , but I'll do 150+AppleCare+ so you are looking at 250 , ME: yeah sounds good but still only 50 bucks off coming out of pocket need I remind u it was a gift :D, he says not much else I can do I was like man this sucks big time, is there anything else you can do I want to get appleCare+ but paying 250 sucks right now, Genius : hmmm thats it we can do this right now, ME: 250 is a bit much there must be something you can do lets start this year on a good note :D sometimes I know you guys replace them as a courtesy I know you are not obligated too or anything its a case by case thing, but help me out if YOU can, if not I understand I do want to get AppleCare+ so with the replacement fee and AppleCare+ if you can give me a better price than 250 maybe we can work with that, Genius: contemplates and hmmm says BRB
comes back like Ok Il'' replace it for free just make sure u get AppleCare+ for 100 I say Great I definitely want to add AppleCare+ just in case this happens again , says BRB comes back with a brown box, takes the iPad out, setting it up ...... and also putting AppleCare+ I check my pockets for my wallet, and I'm like CRAP called the guy by his first name like dude I left my wallet at home This sucks real bad, Genius: OK ( disappointed face) . ME: I can go home and come back but I will cut it close to your closing time, but if you want I will go and come back , he says I leave at 8 anyway, but hey give me your word that you will get it within the next 30 days , ME of course, he says Ok well here is your new iPad, and I tell the Guy I am a man of my word, I will come back tomorrow to put AppleCare+ do you have a card? he gives me his card and says anyone can do it btw, I was like yeah but I will come see you

I will head there today to get AppleCare+, I'm so happy they replaced it :D
It's all about being cool calm and collected do not catch an attitude, be nice and Honest and depending on who you deal with they will do their best to help you, I realize that the guy was maybe testing my attitude /honesty earlier when he saw it cracked and said ooh it came out of the box like that( somewhat of a smart comment eh? I flat out said Of course not the damage that happened was all MY fault, I'm just wondering if there is anything you can do for me

:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.