Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I have had my iPhone 5 for about 3 weeks. It is a white VZ 32GB. Everything has been fine with my phone except one really annoying thing... when it is in my pocket or I am taking it out of my pocket it vibrates randomly. It is the same vibration that happens when you switch the phone to vibrate. It isn't the actual toggle switch being caught as I have triple checked that. It appears that if the phone gets pressed on the back in the vicinity of the volume and silent toggle it will vibrate. I reproduced it by laying the phone on a mouse pad face down and then just pressing on the back of the phone in the general area of the volume buttons. It has been getting really annoying, especially when driving as sometimes it takes barely any pressure at all for this to occur (thus the phone can vibrate quite a bite when accelerating and braking!)

Can anyone else reproduce this? I don't want to take it to the apple store only to find out they all do this as there is nothing else wrong with the phone.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I agree that I think it is a defect warranting a replacement but as I stated earlier, if it is an issue that can be reproduced widespread by others then perhaps it is a design flaw that won't be resolved with a replacement.

I would hate to take it in to get a replacement refurb that may have any slew of other issues that I have seen out in the boards if that makes any sense.

***Also of note - I thought it may be the monoprice TPU bumper that I was using and it happens with or without the bumper.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I would hate to take it in to get a replacement refurb that may have any slew of other issues that I have seen out in the boards if that makes any sense.

Read it 3 times and still don't get it....

Anyway take it to Apple for a replacement. Sounds like a defective mute switch.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Not got that issue. Only issue I have is the lock button doesn't work properly anymore and needs to be really firmly pushed. My nearest Apple Store is miles away so I've not got round to sorting it out.

Refurbished replacements are fine.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I agree refurbs are good as new, and I have gotten several refurbs over the course of owning three iphone models. I am saying that right now I have an issue that while annoying, isn't a deal breaker for me. I just don't want to replace this to get a phone that has a more serious problem thus requiring me to get that one replaced which means multiple trips to the apple store.

But it sounds so far like my issue is fairly isolated so I will probably take it in for a replacement.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I agree refurbs are good as new, and I have gotten several refurbs over the course of owning three iphone models. I am saying that right now I have an issue that while annoying, isn't a deal breaker for me. I just don't want to replace this to get a phone that has a more serious problem thus requiring me to get that one replaced which means multiple trips to the apple store.

But it sounds so far like my issue is fairly isolated so I will probably take it in for a replacement.

I took my iP5 I got on launch day in to be replaced for some dead pixels. The replacement I got has done this to me occasionally (the random vibrate thing) - though its sporadic and hasn't happened in some time - wouldn't be any way for my to reproduce it so I figure there's nothing for it.

I'd love to know how your visit goes though and if it's something they've seen before.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I took my iP5 I got on launch day in to be replaced for some dead pixels. The replacement I got has done this to me occasionally (the random vibrate thing) - though its sporadic and hasn't happened in some time - wouldn't be any way for my to reproduce it so I figure there's nothing for it.

I'd love to know how your visit goes though and if it's something they've seen before.

This is kind of my point... you had dead pixels and your replacement does this random vibrate.

I tried for awhile to reproduce it (since the genius will want to see the actual problem) and the only way to consistently reproduce it was to lay the phone flat on its face (on a mousepad so there is flex) and then press the back to the right of the apple logo. Now just rolling my index finger on it back and forth does it every time. My guess is something is making contact with the vibrate switch causing this to happen. If the iPhone 5 is unlocked and you can get it to buzz while looking at it you will see the vibrate silence icon flash as though you put the phone on vibrate even though it is already in silent mode.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This is kind of my point... you had dead pixels and your replacement does this random vibrate.

I tried for awhile to reproduce it (since the genius will want to see the actual problem) and the only way to consistently reproduce it was to lay the phone flat on its face (on a mousepad so there is flex) and then press the back to the right of the apple logo. Now just rolling my index finger on it back and forth does it every time. My guess is something is making contact with the vibrate switch causing this to happen. If the iPhone 5 is unlocked and you can get it to buzz while looking at it you will see the vibrate silence icon flash as though you put the phone on vibrate even though it is already in silent mode.

Ya I re-read you original post and saw this. Tried it with no luck - like I said, mine hasn't done it in a while, though it usually happened when I was driving in the car.

Slouse

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2014
4days old iPhone5S...

My iPhone 5s has a similar sort of issue with vibration so to speak, except mine starts when plugged in to charge and then doesn't matter how the phone is put down or held if you touch anywhere on the back it feels like vibration or possibly even like static electricity but more intense. Also even once taken ofF charge the phone maintains this residual "vibration" for 15 to even 20 mins after, to be honest it's kinda uncomfortable To hold which for me being legitimately attached to my phone always it's making everything quite an issue...Kinda freaking me out a bit, the phone is 4 days old...would you consider this a fault warranting replacement or can someone shed some light on some magic I'm unaware of to make it stop #

Last edited:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Does this happen only when the phone is in your pocket? What about the times when the phone is in other containers - a backpack, purse etc? I wonder if it's a case of the "phantom vibrations" - Phantom Vibration Syndrome

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
It's all in your head! I'm not kidding it really is it happens to me to and then I seen this thing online that said its in your head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.