Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Like the title says, I have a black 16gb SLATE iphone 5 and i never seen any light leakage on the device ever, not in the dark never i never seen any light leakage.

Now all the sudden last night i noticed i see light leakage where everyone usually gets it (right under the power/ lock button in the bezel and its quite frustrating. The screen seems to have come just a bit loose up there and thats why i can hear a click sound now when i press up there. When i press the glass by the light leakage it goes away but once i let go it comes back...im trying to figure out if i can maybe block the light leakage by stuffing something in there or whatnot, i really dont want to return this phone yet because it works perfectly fine and actually i could get a free replacement anytime due to a stuck pixel that i have had since i got the phone but I dont want to go replace it due to some very slight light leakage that i can see just a little bit in dark /low lit rooms..i want to replace it when i mess up my phone and ding it up so..

Any tips besides the obvious? Has anyone tried their own remedy?

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Like the title says, I have a black 16gb SLATE iphone 5 and i never seen any light leakage on the device ever, not in the dark never i never seen any light leakage.

Now all the sudden last night i noticed i see light leakage where everyone usually gets it (right under the power/ lock button in the bezel and its quite frustrating. The screen seems to have come just a bit loose up there and thats why i can hear a click sound now when i press up there. When i press the glass by the light leakage it goes away but once i let go it comes back...im trying to figure out if i can maybe block the light leakage by stuffing something in there or whatnot, i really dont want to return this phone yet because it works perfectly fine and actually i could get a free replacement anytime due to a stuck pixel that i have had since i got the phone but I dont want to go replace it due to some very slight light leakage that i can see just a little bit in dark /low lit rooms..i want to replace it when i mess up my phone and ding it up so..

Any tips besides the obvious? Has anyone tried their own remedy?

Light leakage and a dead pixel, and still no return on your part? Not sure I'd be cool with that. Get an exchange.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Light leakage and a dead pixel, and still no return on your part? Not sure I'd be cool with that. Get an exchange.

Well its a green pixel but its pretty dam hard to see it it doesnt really bother me at all, but for the light leakage i cut a very slim piece of paper and shove it sideways in the crease by the leakage and it basically eliminated the leakage, i could only see a tiny bit on full brightness in a dark room so its fine for now i guess

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
What do you mean?

A large majority of users (myself included) have complained about scuffs and dents on our devices and if we should replace them or not.

Your devices screen has literally shifted to shine light through it's casing and you are complacent with cramming a piece of paper in it to block the light.

That is very shocking to see on these boards. Which is why I gave kudos.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Can I ask a legitimate question?:

Why the reluctance to exchange?

You said:

" i really dont want to return this phone yet because it works perfectly fine"
What makes you think a replacement would not also work perfectly fine?

"i want to replace it when i mess up my phone and ding it up"
What if this doesn't happen? or what if it gets a small ding and you can justify touching it with sharpie marker to eliminate the ding?

I guess my point is -- I wonder where your threshold is for pursuing a replacement and why not go ahead and do it now?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Can I ask a legitimate question?:

Why the reluctance to exchange?

You said:

" i really dont want to return this phone yet because it works perfectly fine"
What makes you think a replacement would not also work perfectly fine?

"i want to replace it when i mess up my phone and ding it up"
What if this doesn't happen? or what if it gets a small ding and you can justify touching it with sharpie marker to eliminate the ding?

I guess my point is -- I wonder where your threshold is for pursuing a replacement and why not go ahead and do it now?

Okay the limited warranty Apple offers you when you get a brand new iPhone is a 1 year warranty that covers manufacture defects... So i have less then one year to get a free replacement(my iphone "issues" warrant that. So around the last 2 weeks of the warranty left i bet my phone will be pretty dinged up and what not and as long as no glass is cracked i will be able to get a new phone due to the light leakage(which i fixed with a piece of paper) and the dead pixel, these issues arent enough for me to go and return the phone for a replacement id rather just wait until something more serious happens to my phone like dings and scratches..which i hate with a burning passion i hav ocd over scratches and dings

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Okay the limited warranty Apple offers you when you get a brand new iPhone is a 1 year warranty that covers manufacture defects... So i have less then one year to get a free replacement(my iphone "issues" warrant that. So around the last 2 weeks of the warranty left i bet my phone will be pretty dinged up and what not and as long as no glass is cracked i will be able to get a new phone due to the light leakage(which i fixed with a piece of paper) and the dead pixel, these issues arent enough for me to go and return the phone for a replacement id rather just wait until something more serious happens to my phone like dings and scratches..which i hate with a burning passion i hav ocd over scratches and dings

I see the thought process, but the idea of you walking around with a piece of paper jammed into your phone to prevent light leakage is just flat out weird. But it's your phone, so do as you please. I'd swap it out now if I were you.

----------

Are you near an Apple Store?

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Can someone post a pic of the light leaks? I see posts on it all the time but I don't actually know what it looks like.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Can someone post a pic of the light leaks? I see posts on it all the time but I don't actually know what it looks like.

Iphone-Leaking-Light.jpg

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
I see the thought process, but the idea of you walking around with a piece of paper jammed into your phone to prevent light leakage is just flat out weird. But it's your phone, so do as you please. I'd swap it out now if I were you.

----------

First off its no where near as bad as your making it, its extremely thin and its like .1 mm wide it fitted in the bezel part perfectly you cant even see it unless in certain light . Its really not noticeable at all and works

----------

----------

The Apple store is literally 2 mins by car for me..

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
First off its no where near as bad as your making it, its extremely thin and its like .1 mm wide it fitted in the bezel part perfectly you cant even see it unless in certain light . Its really not noticeable at all and works

----------

The Apple store is literally 2 mins by car for me..

Why don't you try welding the gap closed?

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Reading the title, my first thought was "a thick pair of underwear should solve that." :D

But yeah, either be ok with it, or have it replaced. I think it looks kind of cool.

dewthedru

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I understand about wanting to wait to return it. I have a 4s with a cracked screen that I'm waiting until something really bad happens to it.

However, in your case you run the risk of dropping it and have Apple deny your warranty due to neglect/damage when in fact they were present before you dropped it. I don't run that risk because I'll have to exercise the $50 deductible on my AppleCare warranty either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.