Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
After 17 months at my new job trying to avoid it, IT finally caught up with me. I was assigned my first Blackberry today.

I'm trying to approach this as a cross-cultural exchange program. Maybe I can learn something new and come away with my soul enriched!

But so far, nada.

sigh

No question here, just pray for me tonight. Thanks.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I used Windows/OS X together for years, I'm sure you'll be fine with a BB.

I use Windows and OS X at work too. They use the same keyboard, mouse, and monitor. The OS change isn't the big problem.

I'm mostly complaining about this little tiny keyboard. Shoot me now. THIS is what Blackberry-lovers claim as their strongest asset?

tick tack tick tick tick tack

I appreciate that, but luckily for me that's not a problem. I work 1/2 mile from the US Capitol. This is probably the last place on earth where Blackberries are not just tolerated, but still seen as cool, if you can believe it.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Nothing wrong with using a Blackberry. A corporate phone sucks either way.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
You can continue to use your private phone for personal communication--which can be an iPhone. No worries, if RIM doesn't hit it big with Blackberry 10 this year then you'll not have that blackberry for long once the company folds.

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Sorry to hear about the BB. I'd leave it at home at night and on the weekends.

Luckily for me my company has a 'bring your own device' program. Most of us use the iPhone.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Nothing wrong with using a Blackberry. A corporate phone sucks either way.

A corporate phone is an very long dog leash unfortunately. Some bosses really abuse it.

I resisted for a long time to get a cell phone, only renting one when was off site, but it got ridiculous after a while and I finally got one on my own terms. Kinda nice to have it all paid for though.

Mrblue718

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
I've been a Blackberry Bold 9700 user for the last 3 years until I got my iPhone 5 two weeks ago. It's most certainly a difference.

mrwalsh1968

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2012
I got given a work BB to, and I personally think it is rubbish. I have set it to forward ALL calls to my iPhone, and I try to use the BB as little as possible. The keys on keyboard are impossibly tiny!

iTorment

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2011
Kansas City, MO
OP, I know how that goes. I work at an IT company as well as just got my first Corporate Mobile Phone. Not as bad as your situation, but I am getting the Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Sprint, it was either that or the S3 and I personally will take Vanilla Android over an skinned version. I'm actually excited to have and iPhone 5 (personal) and the Nexus (corporate) at the same time, kind of getting the best of both worlds.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
With most companies IT policy that can basically snoop at what you do at any time, and the corporate restrictions placed on them. I basically don't care that my company issued me a blackberry & an iPad 2. I only use the for work related stuff, as I don't want any of my private stuff (such as contacts with my union) to be leaked by these devices back to my bosses.

P.S. A bit off topic, but my iPad 2 has something called airwatch installed, if you look it up online it is crazy how much information the app will report back to the company. After reading that, I don't even surf the web on the company ipad anymore, I carry my own personal ipad & iphone instead, even though it is twice the gear to carry around.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
You were given a free phone for business use, I feel so sorry for you :rolleyes:

I do, if they want him to carry the phone with him all the time, he my be responsible for keeping it on him, no breaking or losing it. If he has no interest in the BB and now has to carry his person phone with him and his work phone it can be cumbersome. I was given an android phone for work, do I forwarded the number to my personal cell and keep the droid in my bag and only used it for the hotspot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.