Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Ok. The magnetic thing, wicked cool. Now make a magnetic face protector and we're in business. Nice idea.

hutch34

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Florida
As a developer, I really couldn't care less who's fault it is, the fact of the matter is, I have to make a choice between supporting the majority of devices meaning I have to resort to API 8 or I can make life easier and only support API ~12. (I can't remember where the exact API version cutoffs are.)

I think we're getting off track here. I was never referring to any developer's difficulties. I was speaking strictly on the platform itself: Android or iOS.

I was merely pointing out the fact that everything that is included in the newest version of Android that Google pushes, is in fact available on the previous generation of phones.

What I was pointing out is that Google does not purposely cripple new software updates for older phones- which is something that we see Apple do on iOS devices.

I'm not arguing that people should go out and buy an Android phone because of this (I'm a happy iPhone owner), but I don't think it's fair or accurate to say that Android's update cycle is infrequent or limiting when actually iOS updates are more likely to limit you and make you want to go purchase a new phone simply because of a new feature that they did not enable for a previous phone. (Siri as one example).

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Cool! This is why the iPhone trumps Google phones. Having one form factor that won't get dumped every 6 months means that companies can create very special accessories and know they have time to market and recoup their investment. 3 years minimum 5, 5s, and then kept at least one year after the next generation is released at a lower price. The benefit for owners is not only do they get a new phone via next generation software updates which are rare on the Google side, they can use accessories like these to customize their hardware.

these devices are not certified by Apple. but Chinese companies can get away with it

if a U.S. company* has this idea they'll spend six figures and 2 years trying to get Apple to approve it. then it gets released and everyone laughs because it only works with the last version of the phone.

*Unless you're Bose or B&O then you get a heads up

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
I think we're getting off track here. I was never referring to any developer's difficulties. I was speaking strictly on the platform itself: Android or iOS.

I was merely pointing out the fact that everything that is included in the newest version of Android that Google pushes, is in fact available on the previous generation of phones.

What I was pointing out is that Google does not purposely cripple new software updates for older phones- which is something that we see Apple do on iOS devices.

I'm not arguing that people should go out and buy an Android phone because of this (I'm a happy iPhone owner), but I don't think it's fair or accurate to say that Android's update cycle is infrequent or limiting when actually iOS updates are more likely to limit you and make you want to go purchase a new phone simply because of a new feature that they did not enable for a previous phone. (Siri as one example).

It seems that you're forgetting that Apple is both the software and hardware manufacture. Google is, currently the software manufacturer, hence the reason their stock OS is put out with all features. It is the 3rd party manufacturer that decides what is capable of running on their phones or not, or to upgrade old phones with the latest features. I can guarantee you there are plenty of Android phones that are not up to date with the latest Google offerings or are capable of running some of their latest offerings. Stop comparing Apple to Google, cause they're not apples to apples.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
The problem with all these gaming controller add-on's is that a) there are no standards for gamepads in iOS and b) there are too many different types out there, with perhaps the iCade from Ion being the only one with any decent traction. All of them require gaming developers to either write their games to support the peripheral (and this possibly requires licensing a SDK to do so, and/or agreeing to some revenue share with the game pad SDK provider) or to go back and add it on later.

While the iOS gaming market is quite large, the gaming market that owns any particular gaming peripheral is but a fraction of that. And with games going for $1, there's just not enough margin in there to fiddle around with supporting a device that nets you a whopping extra 4 paying customers.

Too bad really. I wish Apple would have released a bluetooth gaming standard or something natively in iOS. Same situation exists for digital stylus support, unfortunately, but at least you can use anyone's capacitive stylus or your finger. No SDK required in that case.

hutch34

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Florida
It seems that you're forgetting that Apple is both the software and hardware manufacture. Google is, currently the software manufacturer, hence the reason their stock OS is put out with all features. It is the 3rd party manufacturer that decides what is capable of running on their phones or not, or to upgrade old phones with the latest features. I can guarantee you there are plenty of Android phones that are not up to date with the latest Google offerings or are capable of running some of their latest offerings. Stop comparing Apple to Google, cause they're not apples to apples.

I understand this, but I was referring to the Nexus line of phones.

If you look at Google's Nexus line of phones, where they do have control, they are up to date software wise without crippling features.

I understand they're not the same- but the comment I originally replied to in this thread was not accurate.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
The problem with all these gaming controller add-on's is that a) there are no standards for gamepads in iOS and b) there are too many different types out there, with perhaps the iCade from Ion being the only one with any decent traction. All of them require gaming developers to either write their games to support the peripheral (and this possibly requires licensing a SDK to do so, and/or agreeing to some revenue share with the game pad SDK provider) or to go back and add it on later.

While the iOS gaming market is quite large, the gaming market that owns any particular gaming peripheral is but a fraction of that. And with games going for $1, there's just not enough margin in there to fiddle around with supporting a device that nets you a whopping extra 4 paying customers.

Too bad really. I wish Apple would have released a bluetooth gaming standard or something natively in iOS. Same situation exists for digital stylus support, unfortunately, but at least you can use anyone's capacitive stylus or your finger. No SDK required in that case.

Exactly. I purchased a gamer duo (only works with specific Gameloft games) and it works great. It is exactly what is needed for Nova 3, a real controller. I would run out tomorrow and purchase an apple blessed controller in a heartbeat.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012

Apple is NOT a hardware company. Jobs specifically stated this. They are a software company that is involved in the design process of their products. Samsung & Foxconn mainly manufacture their hardware such as screens, CPU, battery, etc. Apple may have designed their processors but they do not manufacture them. 3rd party venders do and Apple pays a premium to make manufactures do specifically what they ask them to do. There is no Apple factory that produces our products. Foxconn is widely known to manufacture Apple's hardware for the iPhone and assemble them.

Example: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/trading...he-hardware-apple-is-a-software-company.html/

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Exactly. I purchased a gamer duo (only works with specific Gameloft games) and it works great. It is exactly what is needed for Nova 3, a real controller. I would run out tomorrow and purchase an apple blessed controller in a heartbeat.

Same here. My kids bought me the Atari Arcade stick controller for my iPad in December 2011 and it works just as advertised for all the Atari classic games in the Atari Arcade game pack. And it works with exactly ZERO other games beyond that. Its a nice, sturdy and attractive paperweight otherwise. I actually think its a better design than the iCade (in fact, Ion copied the design for the 'lite' version of their iCade).

I was actually somewhat intrigued by the large number of 'gaming devices' available at Toys R Us over the holidays when out shopping for my nephew. You can get everything from fishing rod simulators, lazer tag gun devices (from Nerf no less) and even full-size piano keyboards that interface to the iPad or iPhone now. And all of these are more or less single-use devices.

So summary: Really need a gaming interface standard. I wish Apple was working on one. It would really help solidify their ecosystem IMO if they would.

OlMighty

macrumors member
May 18, 2012
Modern credit cards can't be degaussed by even rare earth magnets...

Why?

Is that just for the strip on the back, or the chip too?

I was less concerned about the credit card than I was about the affect this might have on the iphone hard drive? If that's not an issue, I'd be very interested in the keyboard one.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Mods are fun

But for the most part, they show that Steve made the right decision when he wanted a software keyboard. Look at all that extra metal you have to carry around. I remember tons of people saying, "I'll never leave my Blackberry because it has a real keyboard!" (And half the screen size.) Want to type quickly and accurately? Get a Bluetooth keyboard that fits your hands.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I kind of like the idea of the 60beat controller:
http://www.60beat.com/category_s/74.htm

It's a more traditional (comfortable-looking) game controller, along the lines of an XBox controller. It plugs into the headphone jack, which seems like a decent concept for future-compatibility. Not sure how good/bad the latency is.

negrohero9

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
D[M]V
I'd rather get this instead...it's cheaper too

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 91

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Modern credit cards can't be degaussed by even rare earth magnets...
I'm less worried about my cards getting degaussed and more worried about them getting re-gaussed.
I was less concerned about the credit card than I was about the affect this might have on the iphone hard drive? If that's not an issue, I'd be very interested in the keyboard one.
iPhone doesn't have a hard drive, only silicon storage. You don't have to worry about magnets affecting storage. They might mess up the phone's sense of North, however...

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
You'd think they could have found someone who spoke English to help develop the marketing photos. Not someone who clearly has a misunderstanding of the word "okay."

i got a Galaxy Note today (dont worry its for work) and I've already noticed several examples of "Engrish" on both Samsung's printed materials and setup websites. seems to affect companies big & small :)

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
What an attractive* product! I don't really like the look of it.

*It's magnetic, see… ? Never mind.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Cool! This is why the iPhone trumps Google phones. Having one form factor that won't get dumped every 6 months....

Nice to see that some are still making things up, or are still choosing to remain uninformed/blinded.

Attachments

• atnt-verizon-iphone-4-comparison-form-buttons.png
    atnt-verizon-iphone-4-comparison-form-buttons.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 94
  • iPhone_5_vs_iPhone_4S_comparison.jpeg
    iPhone_5_vs_iPhone_4S_comparison.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 99
  • iphone-3gs-vs-iphone-4-apple.jpeg
    iphone-3gs-vs-iphone-4-apple.jpeg
    17.2 KB · Views: 101

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Nice to see that some are still making things up, or are still choosing to remain uninformed/blinded.

His comment isn't entirely incorrect. The iPhone kept largely the same design for three years, then the next design was kept for two years before intoducing another new design. In contrast to the "6 months" he stated.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
His comment isn't entirely incorrect. The iPhone kept largely the same design for three years, then the next design was kept for two years before intoducing another new design. In contrast to the "6 months" he stated.

I agree, however, I never said he was wrong about the changing of device design across companies. He's wrong in mentioning that everyone but Apple changes designs frequently.

By the same margin, the GSI GSII and GSIII, Note I and Note II, as well as a decent amount of other handsets, have largely kept the same design and design aesthetics, making his/her point all the more moot.

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
It looks cool but I'm not sure how it translates to in real life usage.

I agree about the doubts. You'd be typing on the light end of the of the configuration, holding the heavier iPhone out several inches while trying to manipulate the buttons on the keyboard. In the video, you can see the phone move around a fair amount.

I suspect it looks decent, but will not work well ergonomically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.