Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddicted2mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Canada
Just wondering what you use to keep your iMac2012 screen clean ? I don't want to use harsh cleaners or anything ! Yet I don't want finger prints or anything else on it !

The rag they gave us works but will wear down over time do they make cleaners for apple screens?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
Cleaning your Mac When cleaning the outside of your Mac and its components, first shut down your Mac, and then unplug the power adapter. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the Mac exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Do not use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives that might damage the finish.

Cleaning the Mac screen To clean your Mac screen, first shut down your Mac and unplug the power adapter. Then use a soft, lint-free cloth dampened with just water and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.
Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Be careful when cleaning the 2012 iMac screens. The older iMac screens were just glass, but the 2012 has anti-reflective metallic coatings. The coatings are hard, but average only about 1400 angstroms, or 0.14 micrometers thick, so they can be scratched with an abrasive wiping material.

The wavelength at the middle of the visible spectrum is about 5500 angstroms, and the coatings are 1/4 wavelength thick. A single coating cancels reflections at only one wavelength, but multiple coatings can cover more wavelengths, increasing the perceived anti-reflective effectiveness.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
Be careful when cleaning the 2012 iMac screens. The older iMac screens were just glass, but the 2012 has anti-reflective metallic coatings. The coatings are hard, but average only about 1400 angstroms, or 0.14 micrometers thick, so they can be scratched with an abrasive wiping material.

The wavelength at the middle of the visible spectrum is about 5500 angstroms, and the coatings are 1/4 wavelength thick. A single coating cancels reflections at only one wavelength, but multiple coatings can cover more wavelengths, increasing the perceived anti-reflective effectiveness.

wow, very technical. how did you come up with that info?

----------

I put a little distilled water on a lint free cloth to make it a tad damp to wipe the marks. Then I go over it with the Apple micro cloth that came with the iMac to get any left over streaks out. At this time, I don't trust most cleaner out there.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Are people really touching their screens that often? I wiped it with the included cloth when I unpacked it and it has been clean ever since. I occasionally wipe it due to dust, but I don't even see a reason to touch my screen that would cause fingerprints on it.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Are people really touching their screens that often? I wiped it with the included cloth when I unpacked it and it has been clean ever since. I occasionally wipe it due to dust, but I don't even see a reason to touch my screen that would cause fingerprints on it.

I clean mine once a week when I clean the house just to remove dust etc. The cleaning solution I use (same one Apple sells) is very good - only cost £4

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal

You will get fingerprints on it especially along the sides if you are rotating you display around to hook in stuff in the back and your not careful to touch the aluminum bezel.

dtexan

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
I use those disposable glass cleaning wipes that you use on your glasses.

braddicted2mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Canada
You will get fingerprints on it especially along the sides if you are rotating you display around to hook in stuff in the back and your not careful to touch the aluminum bezel.

yes I've been doing that alot that is why I was asking the question !

thanks for all the replys ! Will pick some up at the apple store or try some of your suggestions !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.