Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Remember when the S3 first came out and many users were complaining that their screens were cracking under normal use, or simply when they had it in a side pocket? I do. Initially the thought was that Gorilla Glass 2 was at fault since it was 25% thinner. I don't know where the issue stands now, however. I'm sure screens can crack on their own, especially if pressure has been applied to the glass over time.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
You are ill informed. The glass has a metal frame attached that adds stress. The crack was at the weakest point and followed the path of least resistance. Spontaneous glass breakage can and does occur for a multitude of reasons.

----------

Oh well that proves it. You have not seen it. Case closed. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the sarcasm, it's nice having a grown up debate.

How does a metal frame add stress? and I think you'll find that the iPhone 5 display does not have a metal frame attached to the glass. The edging of the outer glass is plastic, which is glued to the LCD, which is then attached to the metal shielding/backing. The glass, at no point, meets the metal frame (and the LCD is flexible enough to absorb any extra "stress" applied by the metal frame - you would see noticeable bleeding from the LCD before any cracked glass).

Before you call me ill informed over something I actually know quite a bit about, it might be worthwhile doing your research. And I'm not saying it's case closed - but what I am saying is that in 2 years I must have seen at least 30 iPhones a day, plus what others I worked with saw. At a rough calc. that's 15,000 iPhones - and I'm sure that if this phenomena existed, I'd have seen it.

----------

Remember when the S3 first came out and many users were complaining that their screens were cracking under normal use, or simply when they had it in a side pocket? I do. Initially the thought was that Gorilla Glass 2 was at fault since it was 25% thinner. I don't know where the issue stands now, however. I'm sure screens can crack on their own, especially if pressure has been applied to the glass over time.

But then that's being caused by the pressure applied (user) - not a manufacturing defect.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Thanks for the sarcasm, it's nice having a grown up debate.

How does a metal frame add stress? and I think you'll find that the iPhone 5 display does not have a metal frame attached to the glass. The edging of the outer glass is plastic, which is glued to the LCD, which is then attached to the metal shielding/backing. The glass, at no point, meets the metal frame (and the LCD is flexible enough to absorb any extra "stress" applied by the metal frame - you would see noticeable bleeding from the LCD before any cracked glass).

Before you call me ill informed over something I actually know quite a bit about, it might be worthwhile doing your research.

----------

But then that's being caused by the pressure applied (user) - not a manufacturing defect.

Depends. If the new Gorilla Glass 2 breaks under the simple pressure of being in a pocket, provided it isn't a SUPER tight fit, the product may be at fault. Corning said at 25% thinner it was still just as strong as the original Gorilla Glass. The jury is still out.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Depends. If the new Gorilla Glass 2 breaks under the simple pressure of being in a pocket, provided it isn't a SUPER tight fit, the product may be at fault. Corning said at 25% thinner it was still just as strong as the original Gorilla Glass. The jury is still out.

Maybe - I agree - it all depends exactly what pressure is put on it. If it broke in a baggy pair of trousers, that's dodgy. However, if it was in the pocket of skinny jeans - it would be very easy for somebody to lean on something without realising, increasing the pressure dramatically over what it's designed for (I had a similar thing with an old Palm - had it in my pocket, and after a game of snooker realised that I'd leant against the table, and broken the screen).

Although if that was happening on a widespread scale I'd be very worried! :D

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Right. Where in your logical mind is it 100% impossible to have manufacturing flaws? All defects in glass are user error? This is illogical. :rolleyes:

Her phone did not break by itself. It may have come to her broken, else she broke it. I don't believe and a great many other users don't believe the stories of peoples phones just breaking all by themselves. You can argue against what I say, or you can make things up like it's impossible to have manufacturing flaws, which I did not state. You're being intellectually dishonest.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Her phone did not break by itself. It may have come to her broken, else she broke it. I don't believe and a great many other users don't believe the stories of peoples phones just breaking all by themselves. You can argue against what I say, or you can make things up like it's impossible to have manufacturing flaws, which I did not state. You're being intellectually dishonest.

I never said it is impossible to have manufacturing flaws. You do not know enough about glass production to realize spontaneous cracking happens.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I never said it is impossible to have manufacturing flaws. You do not know enough about glass production to realize spontaneous cracking happens.

Phones do not break by themsleves. Glass does not break by it self. If you can prove otherwise, please do. I'll wait for your proof.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I would have said that there is no way that an iPhone can crack on its own without some outside help except that a friend of mine just had the same thing happen to her iPhone 5. We went to the Mall of Georgia Apple Store. The store replaced the iPhone. I specifically asked if they have had many of these and he said that he couldn't answer this.

Now she does carry her iPhone in her front jeans pocket. And yes, those jeans are tight. :cool:

HerbertWard

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
I had the same
Problem! Never had a case, and never dropped it or was it damaged in any way what so ever. Except it was at the top left corner of my iphone 5, I took it to vodafone NZ and they said we don't want to know about it, then I called apple in Brisbane and after sending in pictures, they picked it up and replaced the phone! I'm glad I wasn't the only one with this problem!

janny1

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
If it really crack without dropping, well, my questions, how can we fix screen with ourselves but not go for apple support, I really don't like some clauses of the apple support.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Hey, true story, but I cracked my three week old iphone 5 screen yesterday while putting on my new OtterBox case. It's a small crack in the upper right hand corner that kind of crosses the screen diagonally, edge to edge. It just appeared when I was snapping the case over the edge of the phone. Maybe I stressed the structure of the phone or something. I have no idea. So you know, sometimes these mysterious things do happen.

Regardless, I'm not blaming Apple for the crack. Stuff happens. I'm headed up to the Apple store tomorrow morning to see if they can help me get it fixed, or maybe offer some advice on why it broke. I'm hoping they will waive the fee for the repair, but if they won't, no big deal. I'll just slap a screen protector on it and move on with my life. The phone works fine and the crack's not real noticeable. And besides, $229 buys a lot of gas, and puts a few meals on the table too. So it's all good.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Hey, true story, but I cracked my three week old iphone 5 screen yesterday while putting on my new OtterBox case. It's a small crack in the upper right hand corner that kind of crosses the screen diagonally, edge to edge. It just appeared when I was snapping the case over the edge of the phone. Maybe I stressed the structure of the phone or something. I have no idea. So you know, sometimes these mysterious things do happen.

Regardless, I'm not blaming Apple for the crack. Stuff happens. I'm headed up to the Apple store tomorrow morning to see if they can help me get it fixed, or maybe offer some advice on why it broke. I'm hoping they will waive the fee for the repair, but if they won't, no big deal. I'll just slap a screen protector on it and move on with my life. The phone works fine and the crack's not real noticeable. And besides, $229 buys a lot of gas, and puts a few meals on the table too. So it's all good.

Well, for one, kudos to you for being an ADULT about what happened. I realize the vast majority of the "my phone did XYZ by itself" crowd are probably teenie boppers with no self-accountability anyway, but regardless there are still an obscene amount of people who just feel the need to blame everything bad that happens on anything but themselves.

I truly hope that with your attitude about what happened that they DO waive the charge. I genuinely think the reason why they started waiving those fees in the first place was FOR people who took responsibility for their own actions, and it just got abused to the point where now it rarely happens.

On an unrelated note, my wife's car wrecked itself yesterday. She was driving, but it wasn't her fault at all. The parked car evidently jumped in front of her (all on it's own). I'm shocked and horrified. At least that's what we're telling insurance;).

Maybe we'll request a new car because the old one scuffed too easy???

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
As a follow-up to my previous post. I went in to the Apple store at 930 a.m. on a Monday morning and told them exactly what happened. I didn't blame Apple or anything like that. As a matter of fact, the first words out of my mouth were, "It's my fault. I was trying to put this new case on and..."

A very nice Genius at the store, took a look at my phone and smiled and said that he'd replace my phone no problem. And no charge either. He felt really bad that three weeks into ownership, my phone had already developed a crack in it. So you know, there's still some heart in the Apple stores. And excellent customer service as well!

He did, however, go on to explain to me about Applecare, etc. But he didn't require me to buy it or anything. He just wanted me to know about it, and that it was available. So the lesson in this story is this: It's all about your attitude. Take responsibility for your actions and most times, things will work out fine. And if they don't, no big deal. Move on to the next day and get a fresh new start. Remember, it's just a phone. If they fix it great! If not, it's not the end of the world.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Glass doesn't crack itself without any form of abuse. You do realise that a drop, knock or whatever can weaken it, causing it spontaneously crack weeks or months later. If the phone can survive shipping from China, the glass was/is fine when bought.

Just because it's cracked when it was in your pocket, doesn't mean it wasn't the owner's fault. I spent roughly 2 years servicing iPhones, and with the exception of the receiver/home button ones I mentioned above, I never saw a "mysterious self cracking" phone that, under inspection with a magnifying glass, didn't have a minor dent, chip or impact mark in a related place to the crack. It doesn't happen.

If something happening during manufacturing that caused a weakening of the glass and now since its winter changing temp's can expand and contract the glass, that can cause the glass to crack with out it being dropped.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
If something happening during manufacturing that caused a weakening of the glass and now since its winter changing temp's can expand and contract the glass, that can cause the glass to crack with out it being dropped.

Any such manufacturing defect wouldn't make it through a) quality control, b) shipping and c) any use.

asapien

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
Just registered on this forum after reading this thread to remark on what absolute pricks (a few) people have been to the person who created this thread.

Is it possible for a screen to crack without abuse to the object? I can imagine it happening. Flawed glass (various errors can generate them) that with normal pressure when used generates a crack. Could be one layer is on a microscopic level bigger than another. Could be a particle. In any case, a fracture could result.

In any case, given the guy at the store called it a fracture and replaced the phone, you trolls owe her a sincere apology. Instead like a crowd of imps you tell her she needs to be thankful that the iGods showed her mercy and that she got better than she deserved.

Grow up.

merm

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
Iphone 5 Screen Crack

Hi all,

I found this thread because I googled "Iphone screen crack without dropping it." On Monday night i looked at my phone and saw a huge hairline crack going diagonally through the whole screen. I did not drop the phone. After reading through this whole thread (including all the negative comments), I decided to make an appointment with the Genius Bar. I went to the appointment on Tuesday night (one day later the crack had gotten worse). Genius Bar took one look at the phone and replaced it for free with a new phone - not refurbished. They said my phone was in perfect condition and it was obvious the crack was not from a drop or stress impact. I am not sure if the temperature variable would be applicable for me as I am in San Diego and temperatures do not vary that much.

I decided to come back and post so that others who have a hairline crack at least make an appointment!

I attached the notes from the Genius Bar.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 126

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Hi all,

I found this thread because I googled "Iphone screen crack without dropping it." On Monday night i looked at my phone and saw a huge hairline crack going diagonally through the whole screen. I did not drop the phone. After reading through this whole thread (including all the negative comments), I decided to make an appointment with the Genius Bar. I went to the appointment on Tuesday night (one day later the crack had gotten worse). Genius Bar took one look at the phone and replaced it for free with a new phone - not refurbished. They said my phone was in perfect condition and it was obvious the crack was not from a drop or stress impact. I am not sure if the temperature variable would be applicable for me as I am in San Diego and temperatures do not vary that much.

I decided to come back and post so that others who have a hairline crack at least make an appointment!

I attached the notes from the Genius Bar.

Cool to hear you got it replaced. Despite what some people are saying it is entirely possible to have your phone crack without dropping it. It isn't even that farfetched. It happened to my friends iPhone 5 (hairline crack, no drop, perfect condition device).

At the same time it happened to my old Dell Adamo laptop (glass laptop display). Closed the laptop, went to bed, opened it up and it had a hairline crack right down the middle. Only device I've ever owned that had a broken screen and it happened entirely randomly.

I too used to be one of those "nah you damaged it and are lying about how it cracked" people until I witnessed glass that cracked not once, but twice, without any impact. It happens.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I had this dodgy screen problem occur out of nowhere too.

Took my phone in a few days later and the genius guy was baffled. Got a brand new iPhone. So these problems do exist.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 139

SolidTech

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
So this literally just happened to me. I was in history class listening to Eminem - Cold Wind Blows while reading about WWII. And I proceed to take my phone out of my pocket to change the song. I look at it and its fine. The bell rings I put my phone in my pocket and walk to cooking class. The teacher then proceeds to tell us we have a test on the Recipe we just did and tells us to take our phones out of our pocket and place it into our bags. While I'm taking it out, I notice a feather line crack across the right side of my screen top to bottom in an arch. No points of contact just a single crack. I'm furious, and I took the picture with my friend's phone if you're curious.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 151
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.