Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Divided

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Don't buy an extravagant computer.

You're young. Go see the world while you're bright eyed and able-bodied.

Expanding on that; if you're into photography, spend some of your savings on shooting (travel, gear, talent, whatever). If you're into music, go listen to, buy, or play music.

Technically, the SSD is really pricey for the percentage increase in performance over the Fusion drive. Seems like you'll get more out of your art, by putting cash elsewhere.

pyzon

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
lol apples current mac pro is not even worth the price they are asking its extremely outdated. DO NOT GO FOR THE MAC PRO!

The 'elderly' Mac Pro properly specced urinates over any current iMac, mini product and since you can buy a refurb for 600 off list I'm not sure why you think it's not worth the price....

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
You should wait for the new Mac Pro if your willing to spend that much money. I think 3k is the most i would spend on a AIO, 5k is just to much for a computer you cant upgrade. Its Apples ridiculous cost for the 768GB SSD that kills it, if only Apple offered a 256GB SSD option....

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
$5k is quite ridiculous for a computer, especially if you're not a professional video editor, graphics designer, or some other professional that really needs a ton of power. I spent $1100 on a used, 2008 Mac pro (bought last year) with 8 cores at 2.8 GHz each, an additional $150 for an extra 8 GB of RAM (to have 16 GB total), $280 for two ASUS 23" 1080p displays, and $120 for a 128 GB SSD boot drive. So a total of $1650 for a complete system with killer hardware that believe will last me easily through till 2018. Even running running diablo 3 plus 3 virtual machines in the background doesn't slow it down enough for me to notice all that much. $5k is just too ridiculous to spend on a computer. Don't do it if you haven't already.

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
The only reason you would ever need the 680 is if you are remotely interested in playing games like Farcry 3, crysis, BF3, etc. And maybe if you are developing games that are intensive 3d games. The SSD I would drop as it just isn't worth 1000$ for an SSD.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
So I've specced an iMac how I'd like an ordered it to get in the queue:

- 27"
- 8Gb RAM (aftermarket to 32)
- 3.4 Ghz
- 680 video card
- 768Gb SSD

Now I'm in the UK so this comes out to ~$4,800. I did order it but it seems like a crazy amount of money...now I don't really know what else is out there and was just wondering if that is a stupid amount of money to spend on an iMac?

I've never used Macs before but I really like the look of them, they're beautiful. I have about $30,000 in savings and I'm currently on a gap year and I would use it for photo/video editing, game design, audio recording..I sort of figure given I have one year to develop all these skills may as well fork out on a good computer?

But yeah not knowing whether there are any other INCREDIBLE options for that price whose performance would outweight the design aesthetic just thought I'd ask around for advice? Is the iMac worth spending a lot of money on?
Dont think about it.You will work with your Mac as I see from you post.Other spent that amount of money to buy this BTO iMac to just play games..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.