Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Just dump the entire thing. IMO it just incentivizes some users who are more interested in quantity versus quality of posts anyway...

It certainly seems that way sometimes.

Personally, I don't see the point of these titles. Length of membership is arguably a better indicator of how "committed" or "invested" someone is to this community.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Length of membership is arguably a better indicator of how "committed" or "invested" someone is to this community.
Except there is a vast majority of members who post once or twice and are never heard from again. That doesn't demonstrate commitment to the forum.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I like the old rankings better, but it isn't a big deal. It will take a few days to get used to it and then it will seem normal.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The Admins have been very quite on this mess, can we get some clarification on what is going on?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
The Admins have been very quite on this mess, can we get some clarification on what is going on?

They are probably letting you lot throw your toys out the cot (or is it your pensioner wheelchairs) for a couple of days until you wear yourselves out and go for a nap.

:D

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Except there is a vast majority of members who post once or twice and are never heard from again. That doesn't demonstrate commitment to the forum.

Yeah, good point.

Well, how about using the total number of up votes? Or would that just encourage bad actors to create aliases and up-vote themselves? At least it would make it a bit harder to attain status.

But what is the best way of indicating a member's value to the community? How about some magic formula related to how helpful their posts are combined with how often they post? A rolling count of up-votes received per month, perhaps? That would mean that members who neglect to post would drop in status: Just like how frequent-flyer status works.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I was expecting some members to like this and others to give a great big "Meh." I honestly didn't think anyone would get upset about it. It's a completely meaningless title that provides no value other than a little fun. Reading this thread, I'm struggling to understand the issue and why this is such a big problem. Please clue me in. I don't like being out of the loop. :eek:

As for not giving the post ranges for each title, I have no official answer but if I remember correctly, in the past the ranges were not added to the FAQs until members figured them out and they became common knowledge.

Nov 28, 2010
located
As for not giving the post ranges for each title, I have no official answer but if I remember correctly, in the past the ranges were not added to the FAQs until members figured them out and they became common knowledge.

And since the Memberlist is deactivated it makes it even harder.

I guess the new rankings only apply to active members, as DoFoT9 (not active since 22/12/12) or -aggie- (no post since 13/07/12 - the last post strangely being "I hope that means he's not going to post any more.") are still 604s, albeit having more than 16,000 posts.
Abstract, still listed as G3 with 24,142 posts has, not been only since 18/10/12.

Last edited:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
And since the Memberlist is deactivated it makes it even harder.
That's a very good point that I didn't think of. Maybe we need to change this into a mod/admin game. Members like figuring out demi games when they have minimal clues! :p

I guess the new rankings only apply to active members, as DoFoT9 (not active since 22/12/12) or -aggie- (no post since 13/07/12 - the last post strangely being "I hope that means he's not going to post any more.") are still 604s, albeit having more than 16,000 posts.
I'm not a vBulletin expert and have no idea how any of this works. I can edit posts and ban people. Anything more complicated than that goes over my head. :eek:

Nov 28, 2010
located
That's a very good point that I didn't think of. Maybe we need to change this into a mod/admin game. Members like figuring out demi games when they have minimal clues! :p
While I like the idea of a game, something like the "P6" can people throw off quite far, as we normally know, what CPUs or chipsets have been used in Intel Macs since 2006, but I never came upon a "P6" Mac, thus who knows, if there might be a "P7" or similar CPU in there which has not been used too?

Hmm, still clicking on all the high post count bastards I can think of last time I checked the Memberlist. :cool:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Nov 28, 2010
located
Someone mentioned it earlier but I'll say it again: Doctor Q does extrapolate the top 50 posters every 6 months.

Ah, yeah, the dreaded list on the who is who of the people with too much time on their hands. Off to write another application I guess.
And the list is only five to eight days away. I should make it count.

Another hiccup I encountered, the steps seem to increase after the G5 (which starts at 12,000, and probably ends at 14,999), thus the P6 should be from 15,000 and goes to 17,999) and so on.
Penryn should be after Core (18,000 to 20,999) and start at 21,000, but rdowns is one Penryn and has 25,716 points,ahem, posts as of now.

I guess, P6 is spanning 4000 posts, Core is spanning 5,000 posts, Penryn is spanning 6,000 posts and Nehalem is spanning 7,000 posts?

Eat.

----------

Thanks. :):):):)

I never knew the Core Duo series as P6, thus my bloody ignorance. So it is microarchitectures after all.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I was expecting some members to like this and others to give a great big "Meh." I honestly didn't think anyone would get upset about it. It's a completely meaningless title that provides no value other than a little fun. Reading this thread, I'm struggling to understand the issue and why this is such a big problem. Please clue me in. I don't like being out of the loop. :eek:

I don't really get it either, but I suspect it's to do with the fact that the "importance" of some of the labels has now been diminished and this is a problem to those that achieved them via the old, "hard" way.

Some people obviously care quite a lot about these labels and wear them as if they were medals.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't think it would be too hard to go back though one of Doctor Q's ranking threads that are posted twice a year and piece together what they are, but perhaps those ranks already reached should be posted in the FAQ leaving new unknown ones as a secret.
I'm sorry, why exactly would I need to piece together the details of the new user titles when it can easily be given out by the very people who changed them? The whole change, if you could have read my entire post, is something I couldn't care less about. I do care that is causes unnecessary confusion and now you're saying to me that it wouldn't be that hard to figure out. That is great, have at it and get back to me.

I'm in the "meh" camp until some mod decides to tell me to figure it out for myself. Just give people the list, is it that hard? Perhaps it was fun when the community was smaller and it could actually be called a community, but now it is clearly a cluster ****.

Like I said, change my title to anything you want. Hell, change it every day, but why unnecessarily confuse members?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I'm sorry, why exactly would I need to piece together the details of the new user titles when it can easily be given out by the very people who changed them? The whole change, if you could have read my entire post, is something I couldn't care less about. I do care that is causes unnecessary confusion and now you're saying to me that it wouldn't be that hard to figure out. That is great, have at it and get back to me.

Most users here would be just as confused with the old system. Who knows that a 601 is more awesome than a 6502a? For a long time I thought that demi-gods (and goddesses) were moderators.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
...Like I said, change my title to anything you want. Hell, change it every day, but why unnecessarily confuse members?

I'm with you. I'd go further and say that it should either:
(1) Mean something that is useful and widely understood
(2) Or be removed completely.

... Some people obviously care quite a lot about these labels and wear them as if they were medals.

Yeah, like this guy ;)

Attachments

• art353-sacha-baron-cohen-the-dictator-300x0.jpg
    art353-sacha-baron-cohen-the-dictator-300x0.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
<snip>

I'm in the "meh" camp until some mod decides to tell me to figure it out for myself. Just give people the list, is it that hard? Perhaps it was fun when the community was smaller and it could actually be called a community, but now it is clearly a cluster ****.

Like I said, change my title to anything you want. Hell, change it every day, but why unnecessarily confuse members?

Like this? :D

Attachments

• mrmehtitle.png
    mrmehtitle.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 327
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.