Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
How many here will upgrade ?

Like better camera , A6 , NFC , stuff like that

Current ipad mini users will you upgrade ?

Oh and same design & weight

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Not I. It's plenty good enough with current specs. Except for one thing. Three syllables. Rhymes with Etina.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Met ya?

:D

I just had a thought...: the next mini should have a Retina screen.

Thoughts?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Would keep my iPad 1.

Maybe get an Android phone if iOS 7 is a disaster like iOS 6.

Last edited:

jimmyohio75

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Akron, Ohio
That would be the single stupidest move that Apple could make.......The entire universe is screaming for a retina equipped Mini, to not satisfy this requirement with the next release would blow my mind!:mad:

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
Speed boost would be nice but not necessary. Won't be upgrading my mini until a retina version is released. Which I highly doubt is coming this year.

MacAgnostic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Better camera(s), no.

The A5 is good enough for now, but A6 might be necessary if the 5th gen iPad retina gets a speed bump.

NFC is a phone thing right? Apple doesn't seem interested in it (yet), I'm not either.

Without a retina display, I find it hard to imagine any compelling spec bump.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I'm ok with retina as long as the current battery life, heat, and physical size remain the same.

But if not I'd prefer a spec bump; faster processor and 1gb ram. I see it now in imovie, iPhoto and Foreflight (aviation app) among others which are spec intensive.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
Happy with the mini as it is, the screen already looks great. Spec isn't too important, I use my MacBook for processor or ram intensive things.
My iPad is for Internet, Facebook, hungry shark and the odd movie on the train or plane.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
That would be the single stupidest move that Apple could make.......The entire universe is screaming for a retina equipped Mini, to not satisfy this requirement with the next release would blow my mind!:mad:

The entire world was screaming for a larger display on an iPhone / an iPhone 5 but we got a 4S instead.

How many here will upgrade ?

Current ipad mini users will you upgrade ?

Oh and same design & weight

If the next mini was only a spec bump, I probably wouldn't get it. The A5 chip is fine right now, I would rarely use NFC, and the 5 megapixel camera is fine (especially since I have my phone). It would have to have retina to upgrade.

HenryEricson

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Honestly, and I might be going against the grain by saying this, but I'm fine with the current resolution. It works well for what I use it for, which is reading books and watching Youtube videos.

However, if a Retina model comes out, that'd be great. I wouldn't see myself buying one, though, because the current Mini is fine for me.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I highly doubt apple can put a retina display into the ipad mini. Putting one in the big ipad already reduced its performance and significantly increased the battery requirement (8 hours to charge? lol), and to do this in a even smaller form factor would be...mind-blowing if they can pull it off.

people keep throwing the word 'retina display' around without knowing how much power it would take to support such a resolution.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I highly doubt apple can put a retina display into the ipad mini. Putting one in the big ipad already reduced its performance and significantly increased the battery requirement (8 hours to charge? lol), and to do this in a even smaller form factor would be...mind-blowing if they can pull it off.

people keep throwing the word 'retina display' around without knowing how much power it would take to support such a resolution.

The retina display would draw more power than the current display, requiring a larger battery resulting in possibly more weight and thickness. This is why I believe there won't be a retina display until the 3rd-gen because Apple won't be able to balance everything (power consumption, battery life, performance) so quickly and as easily.

Last edited:

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
A retina display in a mini this year is probably not this year. The battery and tech is limited with its small and thin case.

I prefer the A6x and 1gb of ram because i have seen some intensive apps and games often quit because the lack of power.

Yes ios terminates all other apps when the app you currently run is needing more ram. But it doesnt mean it works smooth when ios is terminating other apps. The progress your current running app often lost caused by the app quits suddenly.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
A retina display in a mini this year is probably not this year. The battery and tech is limited with its small and thin case.

I prefer the A6x and 1gb of ram because i have seen some intensive apps and games often quit because the lack of power.

Yes ios terminates all other apps when the app you currently run is needing more ram. But it doesnt mean it works smooth when ios is terminating other apps. The progress your current running app often lost caused by the app quits suddenly.

I don't think we'll see the A6X or any X processor in the mini till there's a Retina display. The whole point of the X processor is to power the extra pixels on the larger Retina display.

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
...which is why Apple gave the iPad the A6X chip. A 7.9 inch Retina display would not require as much power as a 9.7 inch Retina display. To be fair, though, it would still draw more power than the current display, requiring a larger battery resulting in possibly more weight and thickness. This is why I believe there won't be a retina display until the 3rd-gen because Apple won't be able to balance everything (power consumption, battery life, performance) so quickly and as easily.

That makes no sense,the resolution would still be the same,its not the size of the display its the resolution,a 7.9 inch ipad retina display would need the same gpu power as a 9.7 inch one.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
That makes no sense,the resolution would still be the same,its not the size of the display its the resolution,a 7.9 inch ipad retina display would need the same gpu power as a 9.7 inch one.

I take that back then. I forgot whether it's the display size or resolution that matters.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
...which is why Apple gave the iPad the A6X chip. A 7.9 inch Retina display would not require as much power as a 9.7 inch Retina display. To be fair, though, it would still draw more power than the current display, requiring a larger battery resulting in possibly more weight and thickness. This is why I believe there won't be a retina display until the 3rd-gen because Apple won't be able to balance everything (power consumption, battery life, performance) so quickly and as easily.

Stopped reading at your second sentence because you obviously don't know what you are talking about :rolleyes:

TonyTurboII

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
nobody gives a ***** about nfc!!!!!!!!! For the last time people!!!!!! Nobody really cares........sry but god dang!

Maybe you dont care about NFC, but plenty of people do I can assure you.

I use it pretty frequently on my phone.

Not sure where it would fit in on a tablet though...

Investor27

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
You're not the only one. What is this obsession with a Retina Ipad mini? I don't quite understand it at all. The current resolution of the mini is perfectly fine. A Retina display will serverely reduce battery time and will add more weight to the mini. That's a deal breaker for me. Makes me wonder if these guys even have a mini sometimes.

Honestly, and I might be going against the grain by saying this, but I'm fine with the current resolution. It works well for what I use it for, which is reading books and watching Youtube videos.

However, if a Retina model comes out, that'd be great. I wouldn't see myself buying one, though, because the current Mini is fine for me.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
You're not the only one. What is this obsession with a Retina Ipad mini? I don't quite understand it at all. The current resolution of the mini is perfectly fine. A Retina display will serverely reduce battery time and will add more weight to the mini. That's a deal breaker for me. Makes me wonder if these guys even have a mini sometimes.

You are missing the point. The iPad mini has a lower ppi than its cheaper competitor, the nexus 7, and that is a problem.

The reason that people are asking for a 2048x1536 resolution is because apple really has no other choice but to make it that way, or else every existing ipad app would need to be reworked.

For people like me that have used the retina iPad, I have been reading lengthy scientific journals..etc, it just feels a lot more comfortable than reading on a pixelated display. I was one of the first people to check out the iPad mini and I was impressed by its form factor, but the pixelated screen simply stopped me from buying it.

As a gaming and casual portable device it's nice, but for extensive reading, i'd still choose the retina ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.