Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yup. We're talking about mere millimeters more to reach with the thumb. Millimeters. It's not impossible to adjust. And, as you and others have mentioned, the benefits gained with a larger screen are easily worth it.

I've said this numerous times now: the things dedicated iPhone users cling onto are becoming either negligible, petty, or very specific. The fear of anything non-Apple also tends to cloud judgment.

I think both arguments are petty if you want to spin it in that way, because we are in essence just talking about our mobile phones. Android users can sometimes try to proclaim widgets and quick toggles as life saving dealbreakers when in reality they maybe save a second or so of time every now and then. iOS users are often less-informed (which annoys me) but cling to the qualitative side: "more responsive, faster, more polished, just works," whereas Android users can dip into numbers like screen sizes and specs. But I've used both pretty extensively lately and really I think they both do enough for everyone. One might be more useful or friendly, and that's the end of all these fruitless debates. It's really just personal preference, because there's certainly compromises to both, but both are completely sufficient as smartphones.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Prediction: If Apple ever adopts a larger screen iPhone, suddenly the impossible-to-use-one-handed fear will evaporate, along with other fears, like the inability to fit the device in pockets, or the big F word (yes, that F word: Fragmentation!). We might even get people saying they can't ever imagine going back to the 4", as we are now hearing people say they can't go back to the 3.5". Or, that 4.3" (or whatever Apple settles with) is now ideal, as we are now hearing the 4" is ideal.

This is the game one has to play when they dedicate themselves to a company that doesn't offer more than one option. Whatever single option they get is the option they must believe is perfect.

-------

I think both arguments are petty if you want to spin it in that way, because we are in essence just talking about our mobile phones. Android users can sometimes try to proclaim widgets and quick toggles as life saving dealbreakers when in reality they maybe save a second or so of time every now and then. iOS users are often less-informed (which annoys me) but cling to the qualitative side: "more responsive, faster, more polished, just works," whereas Android users can dip into numbers like screen sizes and specs. But I've used both pretty extensively lately and really I think they both do enough for everyone. One might be more useful or friendly, and that's the end of all these fruitless debates. It's really just personal preference, because there's certainly compromises to both, but both are completely sufficient as smartphones.

I don't care to get too deep into this, but I don't think both sides are equal. At all.

I'll only say this: only one side believes (truly believes) the mantra "it just works."

EDIT: I should add, though, that it seems things have gotten better. I am finally seeing more Apple fans becoming honest about Apple's shortcomings obviously in this forum, but also at the iPhone forums. This is going to be good for them and Apple. And it's about time.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Prediction: If Apple ever adopts a larger screen iPhone, suddenly the impossible-to-use-one-handed fear will evaporate, along with other fears, like the inability to fit the device in pockets, or the big F word (yes, that F word: Fragmentation!). We might even get people saying they can't ever imagine going back to the 4", as we are now hearing people say they can't go back to the 3.5". Or, that 4.3" (or whatever Apple settles with) is now ideal, as we are now hearing the 4" is ideal.

This is the game one has to play when they dedicate themselves to a company that doesn't offer more than one option. Whatever single option they get is the option they must believe is perfect.

-------

I don't care to get too deep into this, but I don't think both sides are equal. At all.

I'll only say this: only one side believes (truly believes) the mantra "it just works."

EDIT: I should add, though, that it seems things have gotten better. I am finally seeing more Apple fans becoming honest about Apple's shortcomings obviously in this forum, but also at the iPhone forums. This is going to be good for them and Apple. And it's about time.

Yeah, iOS 6 definitely doesn't "just work." It crashes every once and a while, and just doesn't feel as tight as other releases. Seeing these sleek new gesture based interfaces, some nice skins and themes for Android, and the total failure that was iOS 6 has really left many iOS users (myself included) disappointed. And iOS users can be ignorant and unknowledgeable, to put it lightly. But it's adapt or die for Apple, and the stiffening competition from Google has really caused people to question their faith (hyperbolically speaking).

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Very subjective. I have small ahnds and my Note fits quite comfortably. If you meant one-handed operation then it's quite different.

You just won my debate. This device is mobile. This device is on the move. This device is for the hand to quickly share, create and get information on the move.

Another side of the argument to prove my point is the UI of iOS on their handset. Everything may be reached with just a tap of the thumb to get the information quickly. The design has be thought out carefully of not only the display but what is displayed and how it is displayed to get information on the go.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, iOS 6 definitely doesn't "just work." It crashes every once and a while, and just doesn't feel as tight as other releases. Seeing these sleek new gesture based interfaces, some nice skins and themes for Android, and the total failure that was iOS 6 has really left many iOS users (myself included) disappointed. And iOS users can be ignorant and unknowledgeable, to put it lightly. But it's adapt or die for Apple, and the stiffening competition from Google has really caused people to question their faith (hyperbolically speaking).

I think the firing of Forestall is Apple's quiet admission (and hopefully, recognition) that iOS needs a new direction. It doesn't even have to be drastic. Check out the thread I created about what it would take to return to the iPhone/iOS. If you sift through it, honestly, people aren't asking for a lot: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1501886/

I think the brains and developers at Apple can come up with their own ways of offering more flexibility, easier access to settings/toggles, more information at a glance, etc. without necessarily having to destroy iOS. As I say in that thread, it need not have to be full blown widgets. They can figure something out, be it dynamic icons, pull down for more information (did you ever see that iOS concept video where icons can be dragged down for more info? It's a novel idea), or whatever.

I also hope they let go of the fear of people not catching onto new features. People adore their Apple products and line up (literally) to take classes on how to use their new shiny devices. I see it all the time when I visit Apple stores. The classes are packed, large groups gathered around tables. Apple can easily teach people new features. They need not hold onto the philosophy of "incremental updates."

Many many hopes for the iPhone and iOS in 2013... I'm happy we're on the same page, Z.

petey2133

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
Naa.

My Note II is pretty slick. Screen size is not everything, but a solid bonus. Mixing things up is my first order of business. When I own iphones (I have owned atleast 25 and sold every single one of them) I felt like a dog eating the same food from the same bowl every single day. Same icons, same home button etc etc. I literally just got bored. I wont lie, they make me money (had 5 ATT upgrades, flipped 4 of them recently) but until there are serious changes I will stick with samsung. Now I do use the time capsule with my airport extreme as a repeater, apple tv, mb pro's and an ipad. Just not the iphone.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Relevant: http://phandroid.com/2013/01/02/for...asaki-talks-more-android-in-latest-interview/

Former Apple Evangelist Guy Kawasaki talks more Android in latest interview

A few weeks back, ReadWrite interviewed Guy Kawasaki — author, publisher, entrepreneur, and most importantly: former Apple evangelist. After years of promoting Apple’s products (you may have seen him in the documentary “Cult of Mac”) turns out Mr. Kawasaki switched over to “team Android,” currently rocking a shiny new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (before that an S3, and that, a Razr Maxx). Kawasaki’s new motto? “Real men use Android.” In the RW interview Guy went on to say:

“People are kind of amazed, but I don’t use any iOS products, none at all. I fell in love with Android on the smartphone, and then I got a Nexus 7 and started using Android on the tablet as well. To me the great irony is that Apple’s slogan was `Think Different,’ but today if you think different you’re looking at Android.”

Today, in a piece called “This Is How I Work,” Lifehacker was able to get a quick interview with Guy, further pressing him mostly about his work life and products and services he can’t live without. While he still currently uses a MacBook Air to get work done (I, too, am guilty of this), the gadget he says he can’t possibly live without is his Nexus 7. As it turns out, when Apple released the iPad Mini a few months ago, Guy felt Apple’s “me too” tab didn’t offer anything compelling in light of the N7, asking aloud why anyone would want to switch. Great question.

When asked why he made the switch from iOS to Android, he admits that it was originally due to more interesting hardware. The iPhone’s lack of LTE, NFC and multitasking made Android an easy switch for him (despite sticking with Apple’s desktop OS for his computing needs). Now that Apple has finally caught up to Android in some regard with hardware, Guy says it’s simply Android’s superior software that keeps him from moving astray. His favorite Android features?

-Multiple apps running in multiple windows
-Widgets
-Ability to launch files and choose default apps
-Ability to see all your apps in an alphabetical listing no matter what folder they are in
-Ability to pick your keyboard (I use SmartKey)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Nah. The iPhone 5 hardware isn't even the main reason why I switched, it was because of iOS. Apple needs to step up iOS with some basic features like quick settings before I consider switching back. A 5" iPhone would be cool, but by the time that drops I'll gladly take a Note 3 instead.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I'm getting a little sick of the one-handed use argument.

Yes, an iPhone can be used one handed by most people. But a lot of people would be more than happy to trade off one handed use for a larger screen. And many already have. It's not like if we can't use it one handed we won't be able to use it at all. My eyes hurt more when using my iPhone than my hands do when using a larger phone. I'm generally a landscape user anyway, and Apple's idea of a 4 inch screen does nothing to enhance the landscape experience.

I say keep the 4 inch screen an option, but release some larger screens alongside it. I'm done letting apple decide what I want, they should let people decide on their own options. Both would sell.

With some little additions to iOS and a larger screen, I'd never even look at other devices.
The funny thing is... you make this argument saying that people are just dying to have these larger screens. My brother who swore up and down to god told me he'd never own an Apple product. He ranted about Apple for years about their phone. Apple then launched the iPhone 5. Guess what he has now? He says he loves the screen now because it just fits in his hand and he can use just one hand now.

That comes from a hardcore Android lover. He has now fallen in love of how the UI ties together the screen and size of the phone as it just fits in his hand. So again, the argument is still valid.

Though I will go one step further and say the content is not right. Meaning the content you consume on the device is not right if you feel like your eyes are strained. The content has to be utilize correctly or else it feels like Apple's idea is wrong.

Why do you think people love apps so much? Why do you think people pay more for apps on iOS then any other platform? The apps take advantage of how Apple studied to display content and information on the device. Then they took the ideas and made it easy for developers to access tools to create uniformity so people always feel familiar with the content and information they interact with that's just there, within reach too.

To me, this is a communication device (information getter/sharer or whatever you want to call it) and to consume content on the go. It enriches your life on the go, not to keep you there. Let's get out and about but if I'm always there, what am I truly going to get done in my life? I have other things to do than not have the things I need quickly on the go within reach.

I don't always have two hands... Awww ya!!! Just kidding, that'd be a bit freaky getting friendly with myself on the go. :p

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I would return for a larger screen and a better stock keyboard. I won't switch until I get an alternative that's similar to SwiftKey for android.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
To me its not about the screen size - I would gladly have taken a Samsung GS3 with a smaller (4.3?) screen. Only way I will go back to IOS is when IOS meets my needs and right now it doesn't. Just too many limitations that would make life and work just too difficult.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Screen size is what attracted me to try Android again, which is why I went with the GS3. Sticking with the GS3 over getting the iP5 had more to do with how reliable, open and feature packed the GS3 is. Sure, there are tons of Android phones that I would probably chose the iP5 over, but the recent Galaxy phone lineup has really impressed me.

I think it's more of a specific thing, than just saying all of the Android world vs iOS which is exclusive to only Apple. Some users dislike the Galaxy, but love the Nexus.

petey2133

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
To me its not about the screen size - I would gladly have taken a Samsung GS3 with a smaller (4.3?) screen. Only way I will go back to IOS is when IOS meets my needs and right now it doesn't. Just too many limitations that would make life and work just too difficult.

Edit:
Oops realized you knew screen size but was to late

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
As others have said: screen size didn't get me off iPhones... iOS did.

TBH I would prefer the S3 have a 4.3-4.6" screen as one handed use can get awkward, but the benefit of Android freedom far outweighs that problem.

Apple can make phones whatever size they wish, until they allow some breathing room in their OS (which doesn't seem likely) I will probably be sticking with Android.

Actually, the only thing that might push me back is if all flagship Android phones become 5+ inchers ... I think that's a bit too big for my tastes

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I don't think the larger screen will make people necessarily come back to apple, but more so keep people from leaving. IMO, most people leave b.c the bigger screen draws them in. Since most customers do not really care about features or even scratch the surface in terms of using them....screen size is the biggest factor right now.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Like many posters wrote before:

Its not ONLY the screensize that made me switch almost two years ago now.
IOS is stale and boring, missing features, and locked down way too much.

I am so used and satisfied now with Android, I can not imagine going back at this time, lets see what the future brings (my hopes are very small).

4 friends, my girlfriend, my brother and some coworkers also made the switch, and when I ask them, if they regret it, the answer is always "Not 1 minute".

petey2133

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
The only question for me now is this: GS3 or Note 2.

Owned both.

The Note 2 is a niche phone. Either love it or you hate it. The S3 was WAY more universal than my Note 2. But, I love the fact that I dont even reach for my ipad anymore.

The Note 2 battery is amazing though. I get about 18 hours out of it on a daily basis. If you are still on the fence also check the HTC DNA. So smooth.

I am a fan of apple, and continue to believe that the computers and other hardware they sell are top notch. I think the iphone leaves me wanting more.

Siyah

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Have been using the Note 2 for a month now. Long time Iphone user before. Performance wise Anroid JB is as good as iOS. But in regard to privacy and security Anroid/Samsung has been a big disappointment for me. Samsung failed miserably with the Exynos security hole. As there is no official fix had to root and apply a patch by a developer which breaks the stock camera app (I need to disable patch each time to take a pic) Then there is the issue of permissions with Android apps. I don't like the idea of having to share my contact list/Call log in order to make use of certain apps. I will hang on to my Note 2 for now but will return to iOS and the security of Apple's walled garden irrespective of screen size.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
iOS is the problem not screen size. Although a 4.8 iphone does sound nice, just need to do something with iOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.