Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I'm trying to diagnose a problem on an 3rd gen iPod Touch. When waking it up, from the home or sleep button, the screen has a flash of whitish horizontal lines that overlay the lock screen. The odd thing is they seem to be more bold when waking only a few seconds from sleep. There is a gradual lessening from 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 seconds. At 5 seconds they aren't actually perceptible. Resetting, restoring, erasing and restoring don't have any impact. I am thinking it's the digitizer and it's just showing it's age. There is no quality issue with the screen during active usage. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
has the iPod ever been dropped in water, or is the screen shattered? my guess would be than its the lcd. if you are near an apple store, take it in and see if they can fix it. if not, get a new iPod, or maybe an iPhone?

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Well, my wife owned(s) it from day one. It's probably been dropped, but the glass isn't cracked and the shell isn't dinged, probably because she had a soft case on it. Definitely no water damage. I don't live near an Apple store, otherwise I'd just get their opinion. That's why I'm here. There are a few "iPhone Surgeon's" around here, but I'm not ready for throw the dice and see what they say. Most likely, "I can fix it for $100." It still works fine, but I had it listed on Amazon, until I noticed the quirk and removed it. Really just curious what's the cause of the quirk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.