Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Since I got my mini for Christmas ... I haven't touched my full size iPad 3. The same with my son and his iPad 2 and his mini. I wonder how long before the honeymoon phase is over? Should I just sell the iPad 3? I was only going to use the mini when I'm on the go but find myself using it at home too. The size is just so perfect! Maybe I should just relegate the mini to my purse and keep it there so then I'll use the 3 at home.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Nonsense. Full size iPad for around the house. Mini for out and about!

I just can't get the concept of carrying around the Mini wherever you go...

going to refill the gas...better take the mini

going to eat...better take the mini

going shopping...better take the mini

going to the doctor...better take the mini

Mini makes a great tablet to use in the house especially cause its so light and the iPhone screen is so small. Maybe for trips (traveling, commuting and stuff)...but taking out the Mini like its a phone its just kinda unnecessary.

But that's just me, I'm sure people will find needs, ways, or excuses to use it.

Last edited:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012

Mini makes a great tablet to use in the house especially cause its so light and the iPhone screen is so small. Maybe for trips (traveling, commuting and stuff)...but taking out the Mini like its a phone its just kinda unnecessary.

Really depends though, Some people just decided to get a dumb phone and carry around Mini with cellular as their kinda phonelike social device. Bigger screen for chating and internet obviously. However, imo the 7" tablet is just nonsense because it is not a phone still. You should just use your tablet as presentation device or at home replacement of your laptop.

Tablets are just something people want to have but do not really need them for specific reason.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
I would dedicate the mini for recreational use and the larger for productivity.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010

I'm gone most of the day... I have meetings for my son's school, I often wait for him at soccer games and practice, take him to extra curricular activities. I spend a lot of time on my iphone and I wanted the iPad mini for these times. I already have that need determined.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Since I got my mini for Christmas ... I haven't touched my full size iPad 3. The same with my son and his iPad 2 and his mini. I wonder how long before the honeymoon phase is over? Should I just sell the iPad 3? I was only going to use the mini when I'm on the go but find myself using it at home too. The size is just so perfect! Maybe I should just relegate the mini to my purse and keep it there so then I'll use the 3 at home.

One caveat: Are you sure it isn't just the novelty factor?

I.e., if you had the mini, and got a new iPad 3 or iPad 4, would you be using the new device?

If you haven't had it long, i'd hold off on ditching the full size ipad until you're sure its not just the novelty of it being "new".

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Also... I sold my home laptop. I have an iMac for real computer needs but had used my iPad almost exclusively at home for the past year....unless I was uploading pics or editing them. I hardly have the need for a computer anymore so my ipad3 was going to stay by my bedside and my mini in my purse.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
I think it's good to always have a backup device just in case something happens to your Mini.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Since you'll gravitate to one machine, keep that one.

In this case the mini. I've not touched my iPad 1 since getting the mini and there's no reason to keep it, if you're not going to use it. Sell it.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I think it's good to always have a backup device just in case something happens to your Mini.

what 'important' software do you keep on your iPads that you dont have backed up on your computer? 2 iPads are useful for a large family, for example. I can't see myself having 2 iPads.

I love the mini form factor, dont get me wrong.

But i already have a device 'in between' my Macbook Pro and my iPhone 5, the iPad 4. I dont need another 'sub divider' between the iPad and iPhone, the iPad Mini.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008

Madness! Keeping a backup device that sits idle, depreciating in value as time passes makes no sense to me. Better to sell and keep the money safe to purchase a new device if needed.

I sold my iPad 3 when I got my mini. Don't regret it for a second. Once I got my hands on a mini the full sized iPads seemed way too big, even for use in the home.

bkitchen0406

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2012
After I saw the ipad mini i put my iPad 3 on ebay. I have a macbook pro, iPhone 5, and will buy a mini when it has retina. The mini is the perfect size. In my opinion the ipad 3/4 is just to heavy to be held as a tablet. The luster has worn off for me. I use my macbook pro most of the time because of raw horse power and my iPhone 5 on the go. The ipad mini will be a nice in between. If you look at what the tech bloggers are using, the majority of them have switched to the ipad mini. On the other hand if you don't have a nice laptop, or just have one device, I would say stick with the full sized iPad.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
My iPad 4 IS my laptop. I use it for office programs (pages, numbers, keynote), the small amount of photo editing I do (snapseed, iPhoto) and mostly movie/video watching either at home or on trips. My mini is my gaming, browsing, reading device.

I like to read and I like to watch movies. The iPad mini does reading very well, while the iPad 4 does movies better.

I haven't owned a laptop for a few years now.

I can see why some think owning both is superfluous - could I get along without one of them? Sure I could. My iPhone takes care of plenty (albeit on a smaller screen than I would like for some tasks - reading being the primary). But I like being able to use my iPad as a "cable-box" in my man-cave. I can airplay watchESPN to a monitor and have the game on while I'm playing Call of Duty - or I can have two games on at the same time.

I too have begun to use my mini more though - the iPad 4 just feels huge after using the mini....but, I wouldn't get rid of either at this point. I purchased the 4 (after selling my 3 - overall cost me $17 out of pocket) and I was given the mini as a gift. Why sell one (which has depreciated in value) when I can keep it for a long time and always have a backup?

I don't plan on upgrading the regular sized iPad often like I have in the past - the mini will get the yearly update, the iPhone gets the 2 year and the iPad will be relegated to a "blow the socks off me" update.

ggk

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2007
What if I don't have an iPhone?

My employer forces me to use a blackberry, so I tend to carry my cellular capable iPad 4 almost everywhere. I have a MacBook Pro at home, but I rarely use it, I realized I'm always using my iPad. I was thinking on selling my MBP, keeping my iPad 4 as my "main machine" at home and buying a Mini to use it as a full mobile device. What do you think?

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Are you ok with the resolution?

If you don't see a difference between the Mini's screen and the iPad 3's, then go with the mini.

But the one thing I could not stand with my iPad 2 was staring at pixels all day. That's why I take my iPad 3 everywhere. It's clear; easy to read text.

And yes, I do take my iPad 3 EVERYWHERE. I have a small shoulder bag that holds all my tech stuff.

I also think it's the novelty of a new item.

I think you should give a nice side by side comparison of the two, and see just how well the mini stacks up. You might start liking the 3 again.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
One logical step further: what's the point of having an iPhone and iPad mini? :rolleyes:

Neither seem pointless to me :).

The analogy and the logic don't hold. The iPad mini and the iPad are essentially the same device whereas the iPhone and the iPad mini are clearly not.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
The analogy and the logic don't hold. The iPad mini and the iPad are essentially the same device whereas the iPhone and the iPad mini are clearly not.

Not true, either way you have to carry two devices to make calls and use your tablet. Get a free dumb phone, and sell the iPhone then use whatever tablet you choose. ;)

"Essentially the same" isn't necessarily equivalent.

Last edited:

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
can you keep both?

Mount the full size somewhere, plug it into the wall charger and use it as a tv screen.

I even kept my iPod Touch and MBA ........ Find plenty of uses for somewhat redundant devices.

:cool:

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Not true, either way you have to carry two devices to make calls and use your tablet. Get a free dumb phone, and sell the iPhone then use whatever tablet you choose. ;)

"Essentially the same" isn't necessarily equivalent.

If I have an hour I'm waiting somewhere for my son... I want the mini for convenience instead of my iphone.

I'm thinking once my kids go back to school after the holidays I'll plan to keep the mini in my purse for use outside and the full size in my room to enjoy there. If I find I want the mini there too... Then I'll just sell the full size. It's hard to part with since I do love the retina screen!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.