Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
So my old 8gb 3G iPhone has been gathering dust since I picked up a 4S last year. It's too old and too slow to run most apps (many require iOS 4.3).

I could only come up with couple of ideas and I'd love to know what others have done with their old iPhones.

-use as an iPod in speaker dock
-use as a remote for AppleTV
-paperweight on my desk :D

jasg49

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Use it as an internet radio

I docked mine in a Phillip clock radio and use it to listen to BBC World News via TuneIn app.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Dedicated nav system.

Requires a nav app like Copilot Live that stores maps on board since you wouldn't wAnt to pay for a cell subscription.

Peter78

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
network player

I use my old iP3 as DLNA network player - installed ArkMC on it and connect to Audio System. Now I can playback music from my DLNA NAS, or WMP and control it from ArkMC on my Ip5.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I use my old iPhone 4 as media storage/playing in my car.

With Wireless syncing, I can even connect to it while my car is in the garage and sync new songs to it :cool:

heroinsoul

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
There are plenty of ways to use your old iPhone.

With a simple app you may convert your iPhone into webcam (Mobiola Webcamera app), use your iPhone as additional display of your desktop computer (iDisplay app) or even control your computer remotely (RDM+ app).

And of course, you may just sell it.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
So my old 8gb 3G iPhone has been gathering dust since I picked up a 4S last year. It's too old and too slow to run most apps (many require iOS 4.3).

I could only come up with couple of ideas and I'd love to know what others have done with their old iPhones.

-use as an iPod in speaker dock
-use as a remote for AppleTV
-paperweight on my desk :D

I liquidated mine to take the sting out of my 4S purchase. There is a market for them on eBay and Craigslist. Jailbreakers like them provided you haven't installed iOS6 but the longer you wait the less you'll be able to charge.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I still have mine and use it as a phone, it works perfect for calls and text. After I upgrade (finally) I'll give it to my daughters as a itouch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.