Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I've been on Macrumors for 10 years. Only in the past year and a half has this site become polluted by people like you who only joined Macrumors because they invested in AAPL, not because they actually give a crap about the products.

GO AAPL!!! (sarcasm intended)

Polluted by people that are cheering that aapl stock will do very well?

----------

It's going to be fascinating to hear roughly how many iPad Mini's have sold. My bet is that this device is going to exceed Apple's and everyone elses expectations. Wouldn't be surprised if over the next couple of years the mini moves up to trump the maxi in sales, much like the 13" Pro wins over the 15".

I'm not so sure we should be referring to the two as mini and maxi pad.

blitzkreig

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
Sell your stock! We are in for a disappointing surprise.

Let us know how many Puts you have bought and what the strike date is. So we can all cheer your brilliant moves ...

----------

Maybe they can help bail out some of the US debt of 16.4 trillion dollars.... Just sayin
The US commitment for debt is over $200 Billion not current but futures. The USA is a huge ponzi scheme ...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Remember that last year's Q1 had 13 weeks and this one only has 12. They made sure to mention that several times on the last call. Not saying that this negates your point, but I haven't seen anyone mention it yet.

I didn't remember that, no. I wonder if the markets will take that much into consideration come this earnings season. All companies will be in the same fiscal boat I presume, unless they have unusual reporting periods.

----------

I've been on Macrumors for 10 years. Only in the past year and a half has this site become polluted by people like you who only joined Macrumors because they invested in AAPL, not because they actually give a crap about the products.

GO AAPL!!! (sarcasm intended)

Makes a change anyway. Ten years ago it was all about grave dancing. Equally boring.

I've never understood the motivation of net touts. They somehow continue to imagine that someone really cares about their predictions, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Exactly! But you have to understand these troll's concerns. Samsung no longer gets to see Apple's chips in advance due to shift over to Taiwan Semi. Where else are these trolls going to get their info from now? Expect a lot more Fandroids to monitor these boards with Apple moving away from Samsung for manufacturing.

Old adage; Bootleg brand X OS troll/fans care far more about Apple and Apple users than vice versa.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Like people who post on MacRumors have $50,000.00 laying around to invest in 100 shares of AAPL, typically the minimum number of shares required for a transaction.

Lol I have nowhere near that to drop but I am pretty sure you can buy as few shares as you want. Ive made transactions for under $100 when I was in school just messing around with the market. (not the smartest thing since even with discount brokers you usually pay around $7)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Lol I have nowhere near that to drop but I am pretty sure you can buy as few shares as you want. Ive made transactions for under $100 when I was in school just messing around with the market. (not the smartest thing since even with discount brokers you usually pay around $7)

Sure you can. In the old days, before electronic trading, anything less than 100 shares was called an "odd lot" and could be difficult to trade, and the brokers would charge a premium to handle the trade. Ancient history.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Like people who post on MacRumors have $50,000.00 laying around to invest in 100 shares of AAPL, typically the minimum number of shares required for a transaction.

There is no minimum required. I bought 7 stocks when they were at $373 (drop after Steve Jobs resigned as CEO). Cost me $29 total in fees with a discount broker.

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
All I know is that regardless of the numbers, Apple will have generated billions upon billions in profit for the quarter alone.

hydr

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
Here is my prediction, $57b revenue EPS of $14.22. A blow-out quarter by apple in my book, but analysts will probably demand more and be slightly disappointed.

It´s important to remember there is one less week of earnings in this quarter, and that they had an unprecedented new line-up of products before the holiday season which will hurt profit-margins, but will improve over the course of 2013.

Mac sales will be very disappointing with maybe as few as 4million sold, primarily due to no availability.

Expect the share price to climb up to $630 prior to the conference call, and maybe $650 the following day.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
Here is my prediction, $57b revenue EPS of $14.22. A blow-out quarter by apple in my book, but analysts will probably demand more and be slightly disappointed.

It´s important to remember there is one less week of earnings in this quarter, and that they had an unprecedented new line-up of products before the holiday season which will hurt profit-margins, but will improve over the course of 2013.

Mac sales will be very disappointing with maybe as few as 4million sold, primarily due to no availability.

Expect the share price to climb up to $630 prior to the conference call, and maybe $650 the following day.

^ This. This WILL be a blow out quarter for Apple. Period.

Analysts aren't really "analysts". They have their hands in the pie and ulterior motives. With stocks like Apple there's a lot of market manipulation going on.

You want to play the stock market? Don't listen to anyone else. Do your own research before buying and NEVER let emotion dictate your decisions. Think either long term or short term.

Gonna be an interesting year for Cupertino's finest.

* I own only 17 shares of AAPL.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Really? From what I see Macrumors is polluted by Apple haters and Android/ Samsung "enthusiasts".

The pollution is from those who think objective analysis = pollution.

----------

You don't invest in the market, eh?

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
The pollution is from those who think objective analysis = pollution.

----------

You don't invest in the market, eh?

And by objective you mean statements like: Apple sucks Samsung and Android are so innovative now blah blah blah.

ok :rolleyes:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I expect strong numbers because of very strong iPhone 5 sales in the USA and very strong iPad mini sales worldwide.

I think Apple kind of miscalculated the success of the iPad mini, because everyone loves its smaller size for increased portability.

Not to mention it's weight. I think just about everybody underestimated the run-away success of the Mini, sales in China are reportedly 'off the charts'. If only they could have produced them faster, this 'quarter' could have done even better. :apple::)

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Why should Apple bail out the US Government? If the Government can't control it's own spending that's their problem; no one else's!

Apple's staff focuses on the primary purpose of a business - making a profit by selling to customers with what they want and need - and they are doing a great job of it. A politician's primary job is to stay in office for life by giving their customers what they want and need in return for votes, and they are likewise doing a good job of that. Two different models, two different objectives, two different results. Unfortunately, only the first model is sustainable.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
It don't mean a thing if you don't got that swing, and that swing on Wall Street is EPS. We'd better be looking at $14.00 EPS, bare minimum, or it isn't going to be a good day for investors.

The number of shares outstanding should not be growing, at least not by much. Apple announced a share buyback when the dividend was announced.

----------

I cited the numbers, which are as credible and objective as possible, at least where I come from. Yes, Apple typically beats their guidance by quite a bit. I was correcting the article, which stated that if they report guidance ($11.75 EPS) that it would be the best quarter in history. Objectively, and credibly, this is not true. Objectively, and credibly, if this came to pass, it would represent a year-over-year decrease in earnings.

----------

Sounds about wrong. The basic principle of stock markets is that investors do well when a company earns more than expected and poorly when they earn less. All efforts to turn this into a controversial concept will fail (though that doesn't stop many from trying).

Hey look! Someone who understands the basic principals of stock movement and the emotional responses of traders and investors.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

I don't do predictions myself, but if only to test the reality of your comment I will note that $14.22 EPS would represent a 21% increase year-over-year. So where does this fall in the spectrum of Apple's earnings growth rates over the last few years? I don't have the numbers at my fingertips but I think at the lower end surely. Put it this way, how much stock value increase would be supported by a 21% EPS growth? In short, you are predicting that AAPL will run up at about twice the rate of EPS (and PE will jump up). Just so we know. What we don't know is why you think so.

As for the analysts, we don't know what will "disappoint" them because we have yet to see any forecasts. They will be coming in the next couple of weeks and they will be based on projected sales and margins. They will be guesses, but be based on far less "out of the air" numbers than you have ventured.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.