Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Optimus Frag

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
North Yorkshire, England
I've already made a submission to macrumors. Hopefully they'll post it and send a few more people to the kickstarter page.

This game has to be made and to have it on the best OS would be the dogs dangler.

Keeval

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
U.K.
It has just gone over the £1M mark.. so the OSX stretch goal is looking like it could be hit.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I really dislike that big devs go on kickstarter and asking about close to two million dollars to make a game.

It takes away focus and money from smaller devs. Kickstarter should really get a upper limit on goals to keep away people like these and Peter Molneyux away from it.

I believe many smaller projects fail on kickstarter because people gives money to the big companies.

Next up on kickstarter:

Windows 9, for 10 mill bucks and Call of Duty Black Ops 3 for 6 mill...
And of course Battlefield 4 for only 5 mill..

Keeval

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
U.K.
Well - Elite : Dangerous has hit it's funding goal, now onwards for the Mac version and other stretch goals. :)

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I really dislike that big devs go on kickstarter and asking about close to two million dollars to make a game.

David Braben is not a big developer and $2M is not that much. An AAA game would have a budget 100X that.

I believe many smaller projects fail on kickstarter because people gives money to the big companies.

That makes no sense. Projects fail because they are low quality, or people aren't interested, or the developers didn't do enough publicity.

--Eric

TheHareBear

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Same here...as if an extra million pounds were really needed to develop an OS X version of a game...if in doubt, ask small companies like Spiderweb et al.

They are only asking for an extra 150K (1.25M GBP for the Windows version, 1.4M GBP for Windows+OS X).

If you are going to pledge it needs to be soon, ~130K to go with 48 hours left.

Andy

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Done. Seems like a bargain. Elite on the BBC was the first computer game I ever played. It'll be good to have a Mac version too.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I threw in £25 to reserve my name in the Elite universe. It seems the least I could do after spending countless hours in Elite when i was a nipper.

I played it on a 32K Acorn electron - full 3D space dogfights in 32K :) I got so zoned that I never noticed that the gamespeed slowed down in particularly intense dogfights - I remember playing in summer and watching the patches of sunbeams move across the wall of my bedroom and marvelling at how fast they were traversing ...

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
A year later, and the Alpha version is out now. You can buy early access at the low, low price of £200. The final game will cost about £35, out later this year.

https://elite.frontier.co.uk/

There's also some updated news and a dev diary on the Kickstarter page.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous/posts

I'd put this project to the back of my mind till I saw some news about it today. I thought "I've never supported a Kickstarter project, but it seems the sort of thing I'd support". Looked through my notes, and found that I have indeed posted in this thread saying I put in £25 to reserve my in-game name.

However, I can't find any other record of my contribution in the Kickstarter archives or on the Elite website. Did I happen to dream putting in £25?

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
A year later, and the Alpha version is out now. You can buy early access at the low, low price of £200. The final game will cost about £35, out later this year.

https://elite.frontier.co.uk/

There's also some updated news and a dev diary on the Kickstarter page.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous/posts

I'd put this project to the back of my mind till I saw some news about it today. I thought "I've never supported a Kickstarter project, but it seems the sort of thing I'd support". Looked through my notes, and found that I have indeed posted in this thread saying I put in £25 to reserve my in-game name.

However, I can't find any other record of my contribution in the Kickstarter archives or on the Elite website. Did I happen to dream putting in £25?

Search your emails for "kickstarter". You should find your receipt. Also search for an email titled "Elite Dangerous Store", mid December 2013, explaining how to log in and check your purchase is there OK.

Alpha is PC only, as will be the beta. I contacted support asking about the possibility of increasing my pledge to allow beta testing the Mac version.

The reply:

At the moment the beta only applies to the PC version.

Thanks

I've asked to be informed if and when this changes.

Last edited:

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Didn't get to read much on this. Will this be like a "version" of EVE where you can actually fly the ships? By that, I mean will there be player stats and investment in gear involved rather than everyone being able to fire it up and pick the best ship and best weapons from the get go?

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Didn't get to read much on this. Will this be like a "version" of EVE where you can actually fly the ships? By that, I mean will there be player stats and investment in gear involved rather than everyone being able to fire it up and pick the best ship and best weapons from the get go?

REAMDE

old-mac-man

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
Mind your own business.
The multi-player alpha 2 is out and it's a blast. Only had time for a quick free for all combat and managed to get someone else before being blasted to space dust . The experience was smooth for me, but there were plenty of problems for others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.