Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rnutter

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Fee Waived

Went to the online chat as other suggested. Went with the basic text of getting the fee waived. Here is the result of the chat -

"Alright, I have reviewed your account and since you are in good standing with us with good payment history, I will give you a 1 time courtesy standard fee waiver. Just to let you know. Future fee waiver will not be granted."

I did one thing just to keep a record of what was agreed to - I had the chat window send me an email with the entire chat exchange. Good to have a backup in case something doesnt go as planned.

Thanks to those that figured out this process. The $36 is ADP (Added Dealer Profit) since the upgrade/migrate was done by the apple store rep in just a couple of minutes.

barnetda

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Dallas, TX
Just got the $36 refunded.

Basically did what was suggested on here via live chat.
Rep was very efficient and gave me a "One time Courtesy fee refund".

Received refund of $43.50 incl tax.

thanks very much !

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
Hello.
Does this work when the phone is bought in-store as well?

Thank you.

EDIT: AT&T store, that is.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
Hello.
Does this work when the phone is bought in-store as well?

Thank you.

EDIT: AT&T store, that is.

doesn't matter where you bought it from... if you are told that there is an upgrade fee/see it on your bill you can get it waived

journeymaid

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2009
Fee Waived

I bought my iPhone from Apple and activated it at the Apple Store. Just got my $36 fee waived via chat, but did have to ask twice.

Rep explained why the fee existed:
"I can explain this fee to you. The upgrade fee is to allow us to assist customers with recommending new equipment, offering special offers and discounts, providing assistance with the upgrade process if needed, and supporting the returns process within 14 days. These specialized processes help us to ensure you are satisfied with your new equipment, and are ready to use it the day you receive it. The upgrade fee allows us to defray some of these additional service costs."​

So I said:
"I understand that. But I haven't needed any assistance from AT&T since I already understand the process, and I also did everything at the Apple Store. I would like the fee removed. I've been a loyal customer and always pay my bill on time. You can check that."​

She checked my account and told me she would waive the fee as a one-time courtesy. I got a text message with my new adjusted balance.

Thanks everyone!

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
My mother ordered a 4S for my sister for Christmas, and I was able to get the fee waived online, but not without some pushback. Had to let them know I know of long-standing customers getting it waived, and that our accounts go as far back at the Airtouch days in 1994 through multiple mergers. They quickly waived it after that.

It works! If you get any pushback, use those talking points, y'all!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I called them and got it waived. When I ordered my Note 2 she actually volunteered to waive it for me, the other time was after I bought an iPhone 5 for a family member I called and had them waive it.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
in chat now. Rep is waiving two fees as we speak. Super easy, one sentence and then she says she is taking care of it now. Awesome

Havent even been with ATT for two years yet either

NYDiplomat

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010
I bought my iPhone from Apple and activated it at the Apple Store. Just got my $36 fee waived via chat, but did have to ask twice.

Rep explained why the fee existed:
"I can explain this fee to you. The upgrade fee is to allow us to assist customers with recommending new equipment, offering special offers and discounts, providing assistance with the upgrade process if needed, and supporting the returns process within 14 days. These specialized processes help us to ensure you are satisfied with your new equipment, and are ready to use it the day you receive it. The upgrade fee allows us to defray some of these additional service costs."​

So I said:
"I understand that. But I haven't needed any assistance from AT&T since I already understand the process, and I also did everything at the Apple Store. I would like the fee removed. I've been a loyal customer and always pay my bill on time. You can check that."​

She checked my account and told me she would waive the fee as a one-time courtesy. I got a text message with my new adjusted balance.

Thanks everyone!

I had to go this route. Thanks, journeymaid for the copy and paste material.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I did this again yesterday. I have gotten 5 out of 6 upgrade fees waived since iPhone 5 came out. I have 7 lines on my mobile share. Yesterday I was told they could only waive 2 out of 3 that I had on my bill last month. Better than nothing. I have been a customer since 1999 and have a FAN account.

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Mmm maybe I'll try to get my fee waived once I get around to upgrading my own iPhone.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Upgrade fee waived - CHECK
push upgrade up by one year - CHECK
Get free family messaging ($30) for 6 months - CHECK

So far so good AT&T :D

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Just used Chat to get the $36 refunded. I bought my iPhone 5 the weekend it was released (for pre-order). I got the same canned response others have mentioned along with the credit.

In my case, the canned response about "purpose" was followed up shortly thereafter with the statement that the CSR would credit my account, so let the Chat assistant have time to deliver before responding. I was about to argue the point and was glad that I hadn't hit the send button yet.

vidro3

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
so have most people been getting the fee waived after the phone has been ordered or before?

The online chat just told me they can't waive it until it has been assessed. But once it is on there an I'm locked into a 2yr contract why would they remove it?

This is different than the previous chats I've had where they said they cannot remove the fee.

jr98664

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2009
The online chat just told me they can't waive it until it has been assessed. But once it is on there an I'm locked into a 2yr contract why would they remove it?

Did you wait until your next bill with the fee added on?

I got my bill this morning and already had my fee waived.

It took me two chat representatives. The first guy, Kyle Hewitt would not waive the fee. The second woman, Marie Kathlyn Parks, quickly waived the fee when I mentioned being a customer for the better part of a decade.
This is what she told me:
I coordinated with my supervisor and based on your account information, we will be crediting this upgrade fee as a one time courtesy.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
Happy to say I tried this today and worked. I bought my phone on January 1st so my newest bill hasn't came yet, but the chat representative took off the upgrade fee :D

btw this is been one of the most helpful threads I've seen on MacRumors in awhile haha :p

hamsterpie

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
the threatening route

I think I got unlucky, I got a rude chatter and had to threaten my way to get the discount.

Went like this:

ME: Good afternoon. I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new phones. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived or credited to my account

Raquel (AGENT): The upgrade fee is to allow us to assist customers with recommending new equipment, offering special offers and discounts, providing assistance with the upgrade process if needed, and supporting the returns process within 14 days. These specialized processes help us to ensure you are satisfied with your new equipment, and are ready to use it the day you receive it. The upgrade fee allows us to defray some of these additional service costs.

ME: I have not had to use any assistance from ATT and did the upgrades myself. I am also a long time customer and have not had these fees in the past.

( this agent continues to banter me for a few minutes about the upgrade)

(AGENT): Now if you don't want to pay the $36 upgrade fee, you can get a phone with a full price without contract.

ME: ok you are very rude. I will call the corporate.

AGENT: Mrs._____, I understand that you want to waive it also since other customers has been credited.

ME: Is there a number, I can talk to your manager

AGENT: But I just want to let you know why AT&T charge you for $36 upgrade fee.

ME: Is there a number

AGENT: I can waive those fees as one time courtesy.

TA DAAAAAAAA. Thanks OP.

caderousse

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Thanks for this! Just had my fee waived. She didn't want to do it at first, but I brought up my good history of on time payments and she said "One time and one time only :) "

I said woohoo!

hauntedcity

macrumors member
May 4, 2007
Just worked for me, too. Thanks to everyone who paved the way.

I must admit though, that this fee really bugs me. Why should I pay THEM for the privilege of keeping me as a customer???

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
No luck on 2nd attempt.

Had no problems getting the fee waived when I upgraded my phone back in November. Unfortunately, when I tried to get the fee waived for my wife's upgrade yesterday I got no love. The agent refused to budge citing that they documented the first waiver and it was a "one time courtesy". I tried being as pushy as I know how but no luck.

I guess I am going to try again later this week and see what happens. :(

katanna

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Thanks for the OP! Easy peasy to get my $36 fee waived. Had to log into my account on AT&T's website but once I did I copied the text from the OP and that was it! Here is the chat transcript:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with '[Sales Rep]'

Matthew: Hey [Sales Rep]. I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new iPhone. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived.

[Sales Rep]: Hello Mr [My Last Name] Thank you for chatting with AT&T today. I will be more than happy to help you with that fee and any other questions that you may have.

[Sales Rep]: I do see that you are a loyal customer to AT&T Mr [My Last Name]. I will waive this upgrade fee for you as a one time courtesy from AT&T

Matthew: Thanks. I feel that this is a tax on my loyalty, that you are charging me to continue to do business with you. I appreciate you waiving the fee.

[Sales Rep]: It was my pleasure Mr [My Last Name]. Thank you for being such a great customer

Was literally that easy.

Matthew

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.