Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
But we still using Free Google Maps (which is awesome) and there are other few free google services (which is really useful) right?

and what's your point? I talked about how google ruins a lot of startups they acquire and you pop in to tell me that you love google maps.

No, those services arent free, google sells your data to make money, quit being a sheep. with the same logic, I can say iCloud is also free.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
Yes, do it now! Waze is absolutely amazing.

CORRECTION:
WAZE used to be amazing. Now I get ad popups that automatically redirect me to a d@mn fast food restaurant or whatever. I do not have time to be constantly hitting the "X" on their d@mn pop-ups while I am driving. I have gone back to Google Navigation because WAZE sucks so much right now!

----------

and what's your point? I talked about how google ruins a lot of startups they acquire and you pop in to tell me that you love google maps.

No, those services arent free, google sells your data to make money, quit being a sheep. with the same logic, I can say iCloud is also free.

The bottom line is that the interface of either Apple navigation or Google navigation is a lot better than WAZE is right now. Waze used to be better but now has turned into a 1990's-style pron site with constant pop-up ads that you have trouble getting rid of.

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
I have been using google maps and it works great for me. And I've also use maps from apple I have not had any problems with that Either.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I've got a friend who swears by Waze, but I'll stick to MotionX. Never lets me down.

I bought MotionX to be my turn-by-turn navigation last year since the built-in Apple Maps didn't have TBT at the time. MotionX is great.

But I used Waze only when there was a traffic jam... to see how far ahead the traffic was.

I guess I could have used Waze for everything... I just never tried it.

Now with the new Apple Maps, and the new Google Maps... I've got many choices for TBT directions.

I might not renew MotionX this year.

----------

I love Waze too. I like how it reroutes against traffic, and how you can view/report police and hazards. :D

I would love for Waze to integrate deeper into iOS, like Apple's Maps does. Especially the part where it shows the directions on the lock screen!

If Apple buys it... they might take out the "report cops" feature.

I know they allow it now... but something tells me they might take that feature out if they owned it.

----------

Yes. I want to see Apple's Map App develop in parallel to Google's. I still prefer Apple's, due to integration with Siri and other iOS features, like my Address Book. I like Apple's turn-by-turn better personally. But Google gets the love for their transit/metro info. If Apple had that, my choice would be simple.

Exactly.

I use Apple Maps for turn-by-turn because it looks good and works so well if you know the address.

And I use Google Maps if I'm searching for something on the road.

Plus... I can start a Google Maps search on the computer... and then pick it up on my iPhone.

I think it's better to have a couple tools at your disposal.

----------

Wouldn't do much to fix Apple's mapping problems. Doesn't solve POI, doesn't solve transit, doesn't help non-drivers, doesn't solve search.

A sign of desperation if they go down this road.

Waze users would suffer as Apple locked it down and ruined it, drying up the data, and I don't trust Apple to integrate it well with their own (currently junk) data.

But Waze is just one company Apple could buy to improve some of their problems.

Do you know how many companies Google bought over the years to improve their products?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Always been a waze fan even if it seems a bit cartoony. I think this would be a good approach and foster a community effort as well

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
CORRECTION:
WAZE used to be amazing. Now I get ad popups that automatically redirect me to a d@mn fast food restaurant or whatever. I do not have time to be constantly hitting the "X" on their d@mn pop-ups while I am driving. I have gone back to Google Navigation because WAZE sucks so much right now!

I guess the question that has to be asked for Waze is how do they make money. The advertisement thing is new, but I imagine most users prefer it stays free with some ads then turn into a paid service. Especially since the app relies on crowd sourced data to be useful in the first place.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
But Waze is just one company Apple could buy to improve some of their problems.

Do you know how many companies Google bought over the years to improve their products?

I don't think this would result in a net improvement - Waze relies on things that are completely outside of Apple's competency and ideology.

Meanwhile it shows that Apple still think there's some short term fix for Maps, other than just giving up and spending their resource on something they might actually be able to do.

El Capitano

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Waze users would suffer as Apple locked it down and ruined it, drying up the data

It wouldn't dry up the data at all.

Drop Waze on Android, and integrate it into Apple Maps. Hey presto, you've transformed the userbase from "a few thousand who've downloaded the app" to "everyone who owns an iPhone".

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

Drop Waze on Android, and integrate it into Apple Maps. Hey presto, you've transformed the userbase from "a few thousand who've downloaded the app" to "everyone who owns an iPhone".

...And are still using Apple Maps.

Whcih is no one in the problem areas.

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
I actually liked Waze, the only thing I did not like was the fact that it took a long time to re-route.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

If that were the case then Apple should have pretty good traffic information since all iOS (5+) users (can) share that data...

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Wasn't Apple considering to buy TomTom?

Think so. Apparently it looks like Apple considered buying any company that can help to solve the Maps fiasco. Foursquare, TomTom, now Waze.... Maybe even others in the future..

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
My thoughts

Think so. Apparently it looks like Apple considered buying any company that can help to solve the Maps fiasco. Foursquare, TomTom, now Waze.... Maybe even others in the future..

I believe Apple won't buy TomTom. TomTom is a product company. The real value would be TeleAtlas (digital map maker) that is a subsidiary to TomTom but Apple already have data deals with TomTom/TeleAtlas. TomTom is also based in the Netherlands and Apple right now hires map engineers in the US.

I believe Apple tried to buy Yelp but the founders valued the company higher than the bid. I don't think Apple wanted simply a data deal from the beginning because it doesn't make sense. Yelp data is in the map app but if you want to add a review, see pictures etc you are taken to the Yelp app. Far more complicated than Apple want it to be.

I do believe that Apple wants to buy Foursquare and Waze. Foursquare is doing something really interesting with deals and discounts. Waze is a social GPS app that would add a extra social dimension to Apples app. The focus for Apple should be to buy Yelp at any cost. If people are going to start adding reviews for restaurants etc it have to be really simple for the end user.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011

So u calling me a ship. Because, I'm telling you ... .?
Ok nevermind your so wicked (fanboys)
I'm really not to bic4i talk

Yeah also. I didn't mentioned any particular googles' free services apart from maps. But, sadly u end up with only iCloud. If you stop being a ship, you will know that how you getting "free" Apple's services.
So, google has to give everything away to please you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.