Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

r2_studios_logo.jpg
In late December, it was reported that Apple was one of three companies, with Google and Microsoft being the others, in talks to acquire home automation firm R2 StudiosThe Wall Street Journal is now reporting that Microsoft has acquired the firm to beef up its Xbox unit.
The company, id8 Group R2 Studios Inc., was created by entrepreneur Blake Krikorian in May 2011. Mr. Krikorian will be joining the Redmond, Wash., software giant with a small team. As part of the deal, Microsoft also acquired some patents owned by the startup related to controlling electronic devices.

The price of the deal couldn't be learned.
R2 has reportedly been working to expand its existing business focused on Android software to control Crestron home automation systems to develop technology for distributing digital media to television sets.

The report notes that Microsoft has been working hard to transform its Xbox platform into a digital media hub, striking deals with HBO, Netflix, YouTube, Comcast, and Time Warner for on-demand and Web video.

Apple is of course also rumored to be interested in the television market beyond its existing Apple TV set-top box. Apple has reportedly been working on both new set-top boxes and Internet-connected television sets as part of an effort to remake the television viewing experience, but progress has been slow due to complicated negotiations with content providers.

Article Link: Microsoft Acquires Apple Target R2 Studios

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I think this is a great win for M$, however as the article hints, I think the biggest target that Apple (or any of these companies) should focus on are content deals at this point, or, changing the landscape of how TV / Video is offered to the consumers.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This is great news and it is cheaper than ever to get an XBox into most households.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Looking at M$ over the past few years, I can't help but feel they heard that Google/Apple were looking to buy R2 and decided to rush in and buy it first. :cool:

"R2, get us out of here!"

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
I mean, it's not like apple doesn't have the money to outbid MSFT. I wonder why it felt it just wasn't worth it?

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Looking at M$ over the past few years, I can't help but feel they heard that Google/Apple were looking to buy R2 and decided to rush in and buy it first. :cool:

"R2, get us out of here!"

Nobody should be able to buy stuff before A$$le.
It should, like, be a law, you know, or sumpin'.
Maybe A$$le found out they couldn't trademark
the letter r and the number 2. Sadness.

forcenine

macrumors member
May 23, 2008
I mean, it's not like apple doesn't have the money to outbid MSFT. I wonder why it felt it just wasn't worth it?

I imagine the R2 people floated "Apple" to some media outlets to spark interest. I doubt Apple even put a bid down.

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
Title of this article is confusing. I read it like this
"Microsoft Acquires Apple, Target R2 Studios" ..... :D

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Nobody should be able to buy stuff before A$$le.
It should, like, be a law, you know, or sumpin'.
Maybe A$$le found out they couldn't trademark
the letter r and the number 2. Sadness.

?

That wasn't my point. My point was that M$ doesn't seem to have it together like Apple and Google. So when they heard that Apple and Google were courting R2, they thought "Hey, let's buy it - not sure why, but let's buy it before the others do"

Nice try, though - if you're trying to bait me.

MacRohde

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
What a bad headerline for this article - totally confusing.

And seriously, Apple fans, writing MS as M$ is akin Chris Farley calling John Candy for "fat bastard". It is so ridiculous it's beyond belief - but hey it says a lot about individuals' critical sense and naivité.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
?

That wasn't my point. My point was that M$ doesn't seem to have it together like Apple and Google. So when they heard that Apple and Google were courting R2, they thought "Hey, let's buy it - not sure why, but let's buy it before the others do"

I don't think that was it. This does fit with well MS's strategic goals (for xbox). In fact it seems like it's a better fit for MS than Apple, which is probably why MS valued R2 Studios higher than Apple did.

MacRohde

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
I don't think that was it. This does fit with well MS's strategic goals (for xbox). In fact it seems like it's a better fit for MS than Apple, which is probably why MS valued R2 Studios higher than Apple did.

Totally agree. It makes so much sense for XBOX (although Apple's plans are not known currently).

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
?

Do you have anything (cited references, friends/family that work for MS or R2) to support this claim?? If not, perhaps you're the one trying to bait folks. Or perhaps you just like to bash MS... if so, that's your prerogative but I think we can all see how biased you are. I guess the RDF is strong in you.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I may be nuts, but I don't see this as a growing market. Adding complex systems to manage future ever changing personal tasks appears cool, but not very practical. I trashed my automated lighting control system long ago because I spent way too much time overriding the preset programs. It may sell well at first, but die out in the long run. It's like Seri being really cool at first, but not used very much after the first few days.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
That's twice now that M$ has come up from under Apple to move into the gaming market, first with Halo and Xbox and now this. No big worries though, Apple still dominates in the mobile space with the awesome games on the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.