Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
And they've displayed this how? I was under the impression this news just broke... Crystal ball?

I was more or less predicting something similar to happen like the latest $6.2 billion write-off M$ had to announce after acquiring aQuantive.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
What a bad headerline for this article - totally confusing.

And seriously, Apple fans, writing MS as M$ is akin Chris Farley calling John Candy for "fat bastard". It is so ridiculous it's beyond belief - but hey it says a lot about individuals' critical sense and naivité.

You know why it's done or are you assuming?

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Title of this article is confusing. I read it like this
"Microsoft Acquires Apple, Target R2 Studios" ..... :D

Microsoft acquired Target as well? Say what? I guess they wanted to open their own stores. JCP is next then Nordstroms. There is no stopping Microsoft.:D

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
?

That wasn't my point. My point was that M$ doesn't seem to have it together like Apple and Google. So when they heard that Apple and Google were courting R2, they thought "Hey, let's buy it - not sure why, but let's buy it before the others do"

Nice try, though - if you're trying to bait me.

MS doesn't know what to do with it? Really? The company with the largest foothold on the living room outside of cable companies don't know what to do with it? This is a natural expansion for them. They've wanted to control the home since the Xbox idea came to fruition and this puts them one step closer.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
What a bad headerline for this article - totally confusing.

And seriously, Apple fans, writing MS as M$ is akin Chris Farley calling John Candy for "fat bastard". It is so ridiculous it's beyond belief - but hey it says a lot about individuals' critical sense and naivité.

Dude, "M$" has been used for years it ain't new and I've seen it on Microsoft forums being used by regular Windows users venting their frustration about something with Microsoft. Don't get your "panties in a bunch".

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Do you have anything (cited references, friends/family that work for MS or R2) to support this claim?? If not, perhaps you're the one trying to bait folks. Or perhaps you just like to bash MS... if so, that's your prerogative but I think we can all see how biased you are. I guess the RDF is strong in you.

Maybe you should read my first post, where I said it SEEMS...I'm not biased at all, actually. Microsoft is behind Google and Apple - that's fact. I do like some things Microsoft has done; xbox is a perfect example, as is W8 on a handset.

Not baiting; you just didn't read my first comment. It's ok.

----------

Do you have anything (cited references, friends/family that work for MS or R2) to support this claim?? If not, perhaps you're the one trying to bait folks. Or perhaps you just like to bash MS... if so, that's your prerogative but I think we can all see how biased you are. I guess the RDF is strong in you.

btw, what is RDF? I don't get the reference.

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
"All right all right. You can have it already"

Whenever I read stories like this about these three companies, whether they're buying nortel patents or buying out a brand, I imagine the two losing bidders looking at each other as the winning bidder throws out an overzealous number. As if they're secretly saying to each other, "What a sucker." I realize it doesn't work that way, but it's fun to imagine the personifications of these three. One dressed in a bowtie and horn rimmed glasses, one in a mock turtle neck and jeans, and one dressed as Pennywise the clown from Stephen King's "It".

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
?

That wasn't my point. My point was that M$ doesn't seem to have it together like Apple and Google. So when they heard that Apple and Google were courting R2, they thought "Hey, let's buy it - not sure why, but let's buy it before the others do"

Nice try, though - if you're trying to bait me.

What Microsoft hit the "But it Now" button while Google and Apple were bidding?

Also really not sure what you mean by M$ not having it together???. W8 is ambitious and actually smells of innovation, and the same can be said about the Windows phone, an actual OS that was innovated, while Android is a copy of iOS and iOS is seriously dated. I dare to say the only ones actually innovating and taking risks atm are M$. Maybe they were the only ones of the big three that had a plan for R2, hence why they bought them and outbid G$$gle and A$$le.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX

Also really not sure what you mean by M$ not having it together???. W8 is ambitious and actually smells of innovation, and the same can be said about the Windows phone, an actual OS that was innovated, while Android is a copy of iOS and iOS is seriously dated. I dare to say the only ones actually innovating and taking risks atm are M$. Maybe they were the only ones of the big three that had a plan for R2, hence why they bought them and outbid G$$gle and A$$le.

You must have missed the later posts. He acknowledged a lot of what you said. You're vehemently jumping on a speculation with more speculation, which is just silly.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

iOS has its annoyances, but "seriously" outdated? Hyperbole much?

As for R2, Microsoft likely won b/c they offered the best deal. Google and Apple wanted a good deal, not just a deal. Companies like R2 are really a dime a dozen as HA w/ iOS and Android has permeated even entry level home equipment. Expertise is everywhere, and that is all Microsoft bought. Just about every major AV company integrates iPhone and Android remote control capability via WiFi into their products now.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Whenever I read stories like this about these three companies, whether they're buying nortel patents or buying out a brand, I imagine the two losing bidders looking at each other as the winning bidder throws out an overzealous number. As if they're secretly saying to each other, "What a sucker." I realize it doesn't work that way, but it's fun to imagine the personifications of these three. One dressed in a bowtie and horn rimmed glasses, one in a mock turtle neck and jeans, and one dressed as Pennywise the clown from Stephen King's "It".
Ok, the clown comment just made me laugh out loud at work. Too funny!!

Dobiewonkanobie

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
On the one hand I'm sure MS can benefit from this purchase. On the other hand, they've been dabbling in home automation for years and I can only see them wasting this resource.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Apple should buy Nest and Tony Fadell could be a welcome addition to the team considering Scott Forstall is not there anymore, which I believe led to Tony's departure. Tony has design chops and a knack for doing things out of the box. He is after all the father of iPod which started Apple's success - Part 2.

And the nest device was designed without Jony Ive and its a beautiful piece of work. A key ingredient missing in engineers. Microsoft is full of very talented individuals. They just lack a design evangelist to polish their stuff.

I say this because I am using a MS touch mouse at work right now, you know the one that was supposed to be an answer to Apple's magic mouse. While the design and the idea are good, execution is choppy at best.

Bring Tony Fadell in, give in him a great team and a ton of money and don't bother him for two years or so. I am willing to bet he will come up with something revolutionary.

He is a inspired individual like Steve Jobs. Steve saw things in daily life that inspired him. And revolutionary products are a work of nature, a lightning strike of idea, inspiration.

Tony is one of those guys and Apple could bring him back for good. Apple at the moment is running full steam on existing products and incremental updates of new technologies. But pretty soon they are going to need a new product. If its the TV? Then who better to work on it than the guy who made the iPod an household name? Mind you, the iPhone, iPad were spin off's of iPod. The thought that Apple could provide the hardware and provide the content over the cloud started with the iPod.

Also bring back Steve Woz, just as a honorary engineer. Just let him play with the toys and rub shoulders with the engineers.. What a morale booster that would be. And would be key to offset Steve's loss... to some extent... :)

Last edited:

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
What exactly are those deals, or is that still under wraps?

I don't have an exact answer to your question.....but I use my Xbox360 all the time; it's a major part of my entertainment system. I use the HBOgo, Netflix, Hulu+, SyFy, etc.....apps quite a bit to stream their programming on demand. I also rent movies and stream them.

I can see custom "watch lists" coming....where you can "subscribe" to the various shows via the channel's supplied apps.....so every evening you would bring up your Master Watch List and it would be populated with the new content made available from the various channel apps....and there's your evening of TV. You've subscribed to a bunch of channel apps and content, so when something new is available it is added to the Master list. You just start the Master, and you'll watch your SyFy show, then a NatGeo show, then an HBOgo show....etc......however you want to watch it in whatever order you've setup.

You can almost do this now as each channel app has a Watch List (most do anyway)....but there's no overall, controlling "smart" Watch List yet. That's the "killer app" for the whole experience.

It looks this way to me anyway....with the apps having Watch List features, subscribing to shows, the xBox "Pin to Home" feature......notifications of new content.....all this stuff is here now.....just need more content and an overall "smart" Watch List to control it all.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I think MSFT will be leading again, stronger this time. It's just taking forever because they fell behind.

Windows 8 is very good, moreso on a touch screen device like the All-in-One PC's. I honestly dislike it for regular mouse use but its something I have to deal with for now. For the phone, the tiles work really well too. The Xbox is something that amazes me. Kinect works really well too. They have it together.

The only thing they lack, and its quite ironic is apps. Microsoft has the most apps for Windows, but not their mobile devices. This is where Apple leads. They have a great ecosystem. Microsoft needs to catch up, and fast. Otherwise all their hardwork won't pay off.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
When the bidding price goes beyond a point, it becomes cheaper to develop the technology in house.

I would question Microsoft's ability to take advantage of this company. An X-Box would not be all that useful for home automation. For that, you need cell phones and tablets. "I think I want to turn on the blender. Let me walk into the media room and turn on the TV so I can do it."

Home automation is 90% about doing stuff when you are not home; It is about turning up the temperature in your cold house from the airport, before you drive home. It is about monitoring your home security system from the other side of the planet. Yes, you can set up a macro that turns off the lights when you put in a Blu-ray. I don't see that as being any more useful than taking your X-Box with you on vacation to Australia, so you can turn on the porch light at night.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
When the bidding price goes beyond a point, it becomes cheaper to develop the technology in house.

I would question Microsoft's ability to take advantage of this company. An X-Box would not be all that useful for home automation. For that, you need cell phones and tablets. "I think I want to turn on the blender. Let me walk into the media room and turn on the TV so I can do it."

Home automation is 90% about doing stuff when you are not home; It is about turning up the temperature in your cold house from the airport, before you drive home. It is about monitoring your home security system from the other side of the planet. Yes, you can set up a macro that turns off the lights when you put in a Blu-ray. I don't see that as being any more useful than taking your X-Box with you on vacation to Australia, so you can turn on the porch light at night.

An XBOX for home automation? I wouldn't trust that thing to automate anything in my house considering two of them went up in smoke, literally because of manufacturing defects.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
If it were an Apple run company Lucas should sue . I'm clearly confused between R2 Sudios and R2D2. Lol

Lucas doesn't own the rights anymore, didn't it just go to Disney. Also, Disney is in bed with Apple, so very doubtful that would ever happen. Actually, I think Motorola had some deal with LucasFilms a while back regarding the name Droid. Would be funny if Disney retracted that license and Google had to name the phone something else.

The relation ship with Apple and Disney (ABC too) is what helps them get closer to content deals. They can generally get ABC to sign on with new features and other content companies don't want to be left out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.