Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lbros360

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Does anyone else think that the iphone 5s might come standard in 32gb considering that the iphone might also come in colors like the new itouch?:) The Itouch also comes standard in 32 gb...

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Even money. Apple only went from 8 gb to 16 as the minimum with the 4s. Since they have 3 tiers of memory pricing, they'll have to be able to a) fit 128gb of flash memory in their phones, for b) a high enough profit margin thats acceptable to them.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Even money. Apple only went from 8 gb to 16 as the minimum with the 4s. Since they have 3 tiers of memory pricing, they'll have to be able to a) fit 128gb of flash memory in their phones, for b) a high enough profit margin thats acceptable to them.

Apple went to 16GB standard more than 2 years before the 4S.

"iPhone 3GS offers twice the capacity for the same price with a 16GB model for just $199"
--http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/06/08Apple-Announces-the-New-iPhone-3GS-The-Fastest-Most-Powerful-iPhone-Yet.html

----------

Does anyone else think that the iphone 5s might come standard in 32gb considering that the iphone might also come in colors like the new itouch?:) The Itouch also comes standard in 32 gb...
Possible, but not likely.

16GB is still largely sufficient for people. I'm a pretty hardcore nerdy user. 144 apps, 3 folders of games, a couple of playlists stored locally. And I still have 3.9GB free on my 16GB iPhone 5...

All the more casual users out there? Apple would be foolish to abandon the 16GB model and the profit margin they rake in on it.

clyde2801

macrumors 601

"iPhone 3GS offers twice the capacity for the same price with a 16GB model for just $199"
--http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/06/08Apple-Announces-the-New-iPhone-3GS-The-Fastest-Most-Powerful-iPhone-Yet.html

----------

16GB is still largely sufficient for people. I'm a pretty hardcore nerdy user. 144 apps, 3 folders of games, a couple of playlists stored locally. And I still have 3.9GB free on my 16GB iPhone 5...

All the more casual users out there? Apple would be foolish to abandon the 16GB model and the profit margin they rake in on it.

Wow, here's Best Buy still selling the 8gb iPhone 4.:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...at0800000&searchresults=1&searchterm=iphone+4

What model did Apple sell between the 4 and 4s? Wow, I guess Apple made a bunch of special, lower capacity 4 models just for Best Buy. I guess AT&T must have taken out half the flash before they sold my wife her 8gb iPhone 3gs! Dirty, thieving crooks!:rolleyes: To not be a total douche, I wouldn't be surprised if your link was Apple or a retailer selling the 3GS after the 4 had been announced or introduced. The 16gb on the 3gs you linked to was just a temporary aberration until the 4s was introduced.

And I agree with you on the 16 gb part. Of course, it helps if you've also got an iPad to store videos on. Had to clear out some free app clutter that was on my 32 gb iPhone 4s, but quite doable.

Last edited:

EarthNeutron

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
Earth

Yes, that might be true. I am a tech reviewer and know for a fact that the iPhone 5S and the iPad 5 will definitely come in 128 GB capacity, which means that the 16GB models are likely to be removed.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Yes, that might be true. I am a tech reviewer and know for a fact that the iPhone 5S and the iPad 5 will definitely come in 128 GB capacity, which means that the 16GB models are likely to be removed.

Music hoarders, rejoice! I could also see Apple keeping the 16gb models and selling 64 and 128 gb models in lieu of the current 32 and 64 gb lineup, and keep the same or higher profit margins on the entry level machines they sell the most of. They're also positively evil geniuses when it comes to upselling.

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...at0800000&searchresults=1&searchterm=iphone+4

What model did Apple sell between the 4 and 4s? Wow, I guess Apple made a bunch of special, lower capacity 4 models just for Best Buy. I guess AT&T must have taken out half the flash before they sold my wife her 8gb iPhone 3gs! Dirty, thieving crooks!:rolleyes: To not be a total douche, I wouldn't be surprised if your link was Apple or a retailer selling the 3GS after the 4 had been announced or introduced. The 16gb on the 3gs you linked to was just a temporary aberration until the 4s was introduced.

And I agree with you on the 16 gb part. Of course, it helps if you've also got an iPad to store videos on. Had to clear out some free app clutter that was on my 32 gb iPhone 4s, but quite doable.
The document is dated June 8, 2009, date is even in the URL, it's the 3GS launch press release. You can see that for yourself. You can argue with reality all you want... but uhhh... not interested in that argument. Have fun.

8GB castrated models came out later, post-launch, as cheap options.

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
UK
i honestly thought this would happen with the 5 ! i had 16 with my 4 and tbh i was moving music and pictures all the time between my phone and pc, 32 should be the standard for the 5s or ip6 ...

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

I could certainly see the iPad going to 128GB with the next refresh but the iPhone? There are only a handful of smartphones with even 64GB of built in memory. Most of the new hot phones are at 16GB (without a card slot even) and rely heavily on cloud services to provide content. I don't like to rely on the cloud for my content, so I have a 64GB model.

At any rate, I'm not saying you're wrong but I'd be surprised if Apple goes to 128GB with the next refresh. Then again, limited data plans basically force some local storage.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

----------

Also I think when the 4 goes away and the 4S drops to free, the space will stay at 16GB for the free phone. It would make sense to make the 32GB base, then 64 and 128, they only pay $.40 cents per GB so it will not hit their margins too badly to move to 128GB

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

I'd like to see the proof that the next iPhone will be 128GB. I think with Apple pushing iCloud, there will not be a larger capacity iPhone.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W

LOL---really?? In which universe are 'tech reviewers' allowed access to Apple's strategies? Sorry---but that's BS, you definitely don't know 'for a fact' anything that Apple has planned for the 5s/'5th' gen iPad. Sorry to call you out, but that's just speculation.

I like the idea of a 128GB iPhone and iPad...as I've owned 64GB versions of both since they came out. However, there are plenty of folk that don't need more than 16GB. I think they'll continue the 16 for iPhone, maybe 32GB base for the iPad....we'll see

J

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011

wow.

In other news... I sure hope they ditch the 16GB model in favor of a 32-gig base model. I was amped for a 128 top end but I can't/haven't filled my 64 yet. As I arrange more music and bring it into itunes it will grow and maybe I will need 128 one day.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
16 GB isn't the most popular because people want exactly 16 GB - it's the most popular because it's the cheapest. If/when the difference in cost between the 16 and 32 GB chip falls below some threshold, Apple will up the minimum size to 32 GB. I'm not sure exactly what that threshold is, but I can assure you that it is set to maximize Apple's projected profit margin.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
16 GB isn't the most popular because people want exactly 16 GB - it's the most popular because it's the cheapest. If/when the difference in cost between the 16 and 32 GB chip falls below some threshold, Apple will up the minimum size to 32 GB. I'm not sure exactly what that threshold is, but I can assure you that it is set to maximize Apple's projected profit margin.

This as well. The majority of people don't know what GB, HDD and RAM mean let alone how they function. If it works for them, they'll buy it.

clyde2801

macrumors 601

Which is why apple would leave the base model 16 gb for now, and increase the sizes for the bigger models. They'd make the same profit or more from their biggest selling models, and encourage more people to buy the bigger ones.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't think we'll see 16 GB go away because of iCloud services. I'd like to be able to live with lower capacity (read cheaper) iDevices if I can get reliable Internet everywhere I go to stream content. With carriers pushing away from unlimited data, this may be hard.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I'd like to see the proof that the next iPhone will be 128GB. I think with Apple pushing iCloud, there will not be a larger capacity iPhone.

You make a good point.

With all of the icloud push it makes you wonder if they would favor a higher-capacity unit.

The only arguments I can think of in FAVOR of higher capacity vs. cloud:

1. Profit potential. Sure there's a lot of profit potential in the icloud and cloud services BUT if I'm not mistaken, people can cancel these at any time. I would think it would maybe be beneficial to introduce another tier of memory and secure the sale at a higher price versus hoping that users pay for cloud storage.

2. Carrier constraints. With carriers moving toward tiered, capped, etc. data plans, it makes everything cloud much less appealing to consumers. I personally am NOT a fan of EVERYTHING cloud. I do like the photo stream sharing but for the most part I like things stored locally where I can access them whenever I want without using data.

...you do make a good point though. Apple is going to have to balance between those of us who want higher capacity locally and their push to move everything to the cloud.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Apple wants you to use iCloud and related features (iTunes Match). I do not think that increasing storage capacity is high on their list of hardware improvements to iOS devices.

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
I hope they increase the storage so I can get a 64gig at the price the 32gig normally goes for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.