Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
You mean, like, "Windows"?

The word(s) "app" or "app store" never before passed your lips until Apple made you say it.

Actually, it was Handango that made me say it. Years before Apple was even on my radar. Back when they were a near-bankrupt shell of a company.

----------

I mean Apple did invent apps and the app store. They should at least get to keep the name.

Apple also invented the icon and the mouse. Touchscreens too.

----------

There may be some anecdotal use of the term "app" before the iPhone (none of which I can easily find using Google, point me in the right direction if you can), but never was it a standard term used by any major tech company.

Even if what you said were true, it would be irrelevant. There is no requirement under Trademark law that the use be by major companies in the relevant industry.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Apple would require time to establish secondary meaning. It's not just something that pops up as soon as a vendor uses a descriptive phrase. Has Apple really achieved secondary meaning ?

Frankly, I don't think so. In 2008, it was called the iTunes App Store for one, not just plain App Store and over time, people never really just associated it with Apple once the term was out there. The thing is, nothing was called a plain descriptive App Store before Apple used it.

And therein lies the big problem for Apple (in my opinion) because people don't say I'm going to get that from the app store. They say I'm going to get it from iTunes. Or I just downloaded this app from iTunes. Did you see that new app on iTunes?

iTunes is what has become ubiquitous for the (Apple) App Store.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
And in Windows, right click any exe file, select Properties and what does it say the file type is - Application. So your point is?

"APPlication" is a description of an EXEcutable file that Windows refers to in every other aspect as a PROGram.

My point is that nitpicking about file system naming conventions that are under the hood so to speak and an OS consistently running APPlications while their closest competitor OS has always run PROGrams are competely different, irrelevant to each other and always will be!

EVERY platform starting with mobile OSs and now with recent desktop OS versions (Windows 8) suddenly started refering to software as APPs only AFTER Apple came out with the iPhone.

It's become so standard since Apple popularised the term with the iPhone and it's marketing that these days "APP" is akin to calling sticky tape Sellotape and I think that's how Amazon etc... are getting away with it.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Whether "App Store" should be trademarkable or not is another question, but there's no doubt that the term "App" wasn't used at all before Apple's App Store.

Microsoft didn't even call Windows software "applications", they had always called them "programs".

I find it weird that a diminutive of a generic term is necessarily considered a generic term as well, even if nobody used the term. By the same logic, you couldn't have a trademark on something like "Mus Store" or "Boo Store". Meanwhile, it's OK for Microsoft to trademark terms like "Windows", "Office", "Word".

EDIT:

Okay, I did some research like macsmurf suggested.

Wikipedia:
In recent years, the term "app" has been used to exclusively refer to applications for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, referring to their smaller scope in relation to applications used by PCs.

There may be some anecdotal use of the term "app" before the iPhone (none of which I can easily find using Google, point me in the right direction if you can), but never was it a standard term used by any major tech company.

People started to refer to computer/mobile software as "apps" after Apple's App store, not before.

The only exception I can find is the term "Killer app", but like I said earlier, it has a different meaning. It's also the diminutive of "application", but you wouldn't use the term in the same context. For example, you could say that "X video game" is a console's "killer app". However, would you refer to console games as "apps"? I don't think anybody would, because it doesn't fit with the modern definition of "app" which Apple is responsible for.

Halo was the Xbox's killer app.
You wouldn't say "let's go to Gamestop preorder this app called Halo".

Points well made.

With some of APPLE's recent courtroom losses, they must feel like a beleaguered company and are probably garnering some under-dog sympathy.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
EVERY platform starting with mobile OSs and now with recent desktop OS versions (Windows 8) suddenly started refering to software as APPs only AFTER Apple came out with the iPhone.

Have you even read the thread where people have posted some darn calculators from 1998 with a "APPS" button or are you just now trying to makes things worse by arguing this ridiculous point that's been debunked again and again ?

Anyway, we've been doing WebAPPS on a LAMP stack since the late 90s.

----------

Points well made.

What is it with the influx of posters who haven't read the thread or even understand what this is about ?

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
"APPlication" is a description of an EXEcutable file that Windows refers to in every other aspect as a PROGram.

My point is that nitpicking about file system naming conventions that are under the hood so to speak and an OS consistently running APPlications while their closest competitor OS has always run PROGrams are competely different, irrelevant to each other and always will be!
<snip>

Could you please educate me why in the early iOS days - you know those days when I actually used an iPhone and that OS wasn't even called iOS - the almighty Steve himself

...purposefully used the following Mantra...

killer app is making calls

And rewatch: WWDC 2007 keynote at 1:15:00 and on (yes - that was the time when 1 hour was dedicated to Mac OS X) Maybe you realize, that the first year of iPhone was Webapps only.

Just get over the fact that Apple didn't coin the word application, nor the abbreviation App. Or go over here:

Term Killer App

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....What is it with the influx of posters who haven't read the thread or even understand what this is about ?

I was commenting on the first three paragraphs of pgiguere1's post, and truth be told, no, I hadn't read those posts you quoted, nor had I personally ever heard the term APP's or APP store, before APPLE started using them, but if these terms were in use before then, I stand corrected.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Apple has got to stop filing these ******** IP claims. It is bad for their image.

They are widely known now for their abuse of the legal system, and taxpayers are pissed that so much tax money is being wasted by Apple bringing these ******** lawsuits.

And this one ain't even the worst example of Apple's ******** filings against other companies.
What's gets me is how people get so ******* bent out of shape over things that don't even concern them, really.

:rolleyes:

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I was commenting on the first three paragraphs of pgiguere1's post, and truth be told, no, I hadn't read those posts you quoted, nor had I personally ever heard the term APP's or APP store, before APPLE started using them, but if these terms were in use before then, I stand corrected.

You've really never heard of Google Apps?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You've really never heard of Google Apps?

Or Web apps for that matter. I'm starting to think most people here saying "Apps came with iPhone!" are the proverbial "average Joe!" they claim only found out that Application was shortened to App in 2008 when Apple did launch the iTunes App Store and its famous slogan : "There's an app for that".

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Whether "App Store" should be trademarkable or not is another question, but there's no doubt that the term "App" wasn't used at all before Apple's App Store.

Microsoft didn't even call Windows software "applications", they had always called them "programs".

I find it weird that a diminutive of a generic term is necessarily considered a generic term as well, even if nobody used the term. By the same logic, you couldn't have a trademark on something like "Mus Store" or "Boo Store". Meanwhile, it's OK for Microsoft to trademark terms like "Windows", "Office", "Word".

I don't know, I always called Mac programs as applications or apps. Even before OS X came along.
And I called Windows programs as apps sometimes as well.

PS. I don't think MS has trademarked Windows or Office or Word just like that I think they are part of name. Like Windows XP would be a trademark but Windows would not.

Last edited:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
You mean, like, "Windows"?

So I have literal "windows" in my computer? Made of glass and everything? I never knew.

How do people consider this similar? :confused:

The word(s) "app" or "app store" never before passed your lips until Apple made you say it.

And there's a statement with no backing whatsoever. You've been following me around my whole life? BTW, you're wrong.

Last edited:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Okay, I did some research like you suggested.

Wikipedia:
In recent years, the term "app" has been used to exclusively refer to applications for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, referring to their smaller scope in relation to applications used by PCs.

People started to refer to computer/mobile software as "apps" after Apple's App store, not before.

The only exception I can find is the term "Killer app", but like I said earlier, it has a different meaning. It's also the diminutive of "application", but you wouldn't use the term in the same context. For example, you could say that "X video game" is a console's "killer app". However, would you refer to console games as "apps"? I don't think anybody would, because it doesn't fit with the modern definition of "app" which Apple is responsible for.

Halo was the Xbox's killer app.
You wouldn't say "let's go to Gamestop preorder this app called Halo".

I wouldn't call any game I get from the App Store and app.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
What's gets me is how people get so ******* bent out of shape over things that don't even concern them, really.

:rolleyes:

It's foolish to think this doesn't concern you. Your tax dollars pay for the courts they fight these battles in.

(Assuming you're a tax paying US resident)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So I have literal "windows" in my computer? Made of glass and everything? I never knew.

How do people consider this similar? :confused:

And there's a statement with no backing whatsoever. You've been following me around my whole life? BTW, you're wrong.

But Apple MADE you say it. Because they have complete control over your thoughts and actions. Resistance is futile!!!!

It's foolish to think this doesn't concern you. Your tax dollars pay for the courts they fight these battles in.

(Assuming you're a tax paying US resident)

Not this one, but plenty of Apple lawsuits are around the globe. But I know you know that and get what you're saying...

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I'd also like to add that comparing trademarking Windows and App Store is like comparing apples and oranges.

If Microsoft trademarked "computer" then just...no.

Anyway, I believe Windows is not even a trademark.

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
Did you know what happened? Perhaps I have to tell Lindows that they won the trials and Microsoft had to settle out court for $20 million and buy the Lindows trademark

Your remark does not address the point I was making: Microsoft owns a trademark on the word Windows. You, who has never heard of Google, said they didn't.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Your remark does not address the point I was making: Microsoft owns a trademark on the word Windows. Some member that has never heard of Google said they didn't.

And this has absolutely nothing to do with the App Store trademark. App Store is descriptive, not merely a generic word like Windows, unless you're implying Microsoft sells panes of glass.

----------

Tell that to Lindows...

You mean the guys that came so close to winning in court that Microsoft paid them to change the name of the product ? I don't think that case actually supports your point. You should read how it concluded ...

Last edited by a moderator:

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Another poster that hasn't read the thread?

I certainly have to be replying to it and all I see are a lot of nonsense about abreviations on old PDAs or people refering to obscure folders in the file system of non Apple OSs.

The issue is that Apple have a LONG history of running APPlications on their platforms and they created the APP Store based on that familiarity. The early iPhone ran the equivalent of Mac OS X widgets, not even full blown software but they were still refered to as APPs and as iOS evolved, APPs became full blown software.

It's no coincidence that Windows 8 has APPs not PROGrams like ALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS and other mobile platforms evolved to also run APPs, following Apple's lead, not innovating and coming up with their own term because it's so connected with the industry, it keeps features consistently named across platforms but they can't say they're not immitating Apple and neither can any other rational person with the facts easily available on a search engine.

Any thing to back your claim or it is only ignorance from your part?

Observance on my part, arrogance on yours for claiming that!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.