Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Will I just be able to plug my phone into my parents computer and remove those pics that are down as albums? or would I need to back it up and restore my iphone to remove those pics?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what you're asking, are the pics on your phone or on your exs computer? You can delete directly off the phone (or restore, but seems a little unnecessary). If they're on your exs computer you'll probably need physical access to delete them.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
If they are on your ex's computer, and she won't let you in you might have to pull some 007 stuff and access her wifi via your phone or laptop and RDP into the computer and delete them. Should be fun. :D

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what you're asking, are the pics on your phone or on your exs computer? You can delete directly off the phone (or restore, but seems a little unnecessary). If they're on your exs computer you'll probably need physical access to delete them.

I've got wedding pics and days out on my iphone and want to remove them on my iphone and ipad...not bothered they are still on the mac as i won't access them but want to remove the pics on my phone as it's not great to see those pics when i have a new girlfriend lol

I have like 1,000 pics to remove as i could do with the extra space.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've got wedding pics and days out on my iphone and want to remove them...not bothered they are still on the mac as i won't access them but want to remove the pics on my phone as it's not great to see those pics when i have a new girlfriend lol

Just delete them from your phone.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I've got wedding pics and days out on my iphone and want to remove them...not bothered they are still on the mac as i won't access them but want to remove the pics on my phone as it's not great to see those pics when i have a new girlfriend lol

Understood... The easiest way(s) to do this are to either:

Open your photo album on the phone. Press the little curved arrow to select multiple pics, do so, and press delete.
Or
Connect your phone to your computer. Open Image Capture (if on a Mac). Your phone will be displayed under devices. Select the pictures you want to delete and press Delete on the lower menu bar.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Just delete them from your phone.

can't

they aren't from the camera it's photos that were downloaded and put on from the mac. So they are in albums.

----------

Understood... The easiest way(s) to do this are to either:

Open your photo album on the phone. Press the little curved arrow to select multiple pics, do so, and press delete.
Or
Connect your phone to your computer. Open Image Capture (if on a Mac). Your phone will be displayed under devices. Select the pictures you want to delete and press Delete on the lower menu bar.

can't delete through edit as doesn't allow you to do so.

i downloaded the pics onto the phone through the mac but parents have just a computer. wasn't sure if i just back up from computer and if that would remove them or if i just restore from computer then back-up from icloud.

jrm725

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
Plug your phone into your home comp and sync your photos. It will delete photos that aren't on that comp.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Plug your phone into your home comp and sync your photos. It will delete photos that aren't on that comp.

only thing is apps won't come onto my device from my parents computer will they? i know that happened before on the mac. guessing if i havn't used my iphone on the computer that it would just be registered as a new phone? and stuff won't be added onto it?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Oh I got it. Can you sync only photos on your parent's computer?
Where's your computer?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
only thing is apps won't come onto my device from my parents computer will they? i know that happened before on the mac. guessing if i havn't used my iphone on the computer that it would just be registered as a new phone? and stuff won't be added onto it?

Like I said, you should be able to do this on a mac with image capture. Your phone won't be restored without direct interaction from you on the computer and image capture operates separately, will not wipe the phone no matter what comp you plug it into.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Oh I got it. Can you sync only photos on your parent's computer?
Where's your computer?

havn't got one. Would need to use my parents computer. The mac is now at my ex's. So wasn't sure if i could delete albums if i couldn't access the mac to delete them.

----------

Like I said, you should be able to do this on a mac with image capture. Your phone won't be restored without direct interaction from you on the computer and image capture operates separately, will not wipe the phone no matter what comp you plug it into.

don't have a mac, thats at my ex's...would just use my parents computer to see if i could delete those photos. wasn't sure if you could without restoring.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
So

So let me get this straight: the Mac is at your ex's place and is now your ex's property?

How do you know she hasn't already deleted those items?

The process to get rid of them on the phone is detailed in this thread.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
havn't got one. Would need to use my parents computer. The mac is now at my ex's. So wasn't sure if i could delete albums if i couldn't access the mac to delete them.

----------

don't have a mac, thats at my ex's...would just use my parents computer to see if i could delete those photos. wasn't sure if you could without restoring.

Try this (not sure what flavor of windows/phone you're on, google if this doesn't apply to your model)

http://www.trickyways.com/2010/01/transfer-iphone-pictures-to-pc-windows-7/

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So let me get this straight: the Mac is at your ex's place and is now your ex's property?

How do you know she hasn't already deleted those items?

The process to get rid of them on the phone is detailed in this thread.

I'm not bothered if those pics are still on her computer..just want them off my phone

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If he just got divorced, he probably can't afford to have his own computer. That's why he's back at his parents. :(

Don't really need one with an ipad and iphone but wanted to know if i use their computer those albums can be removed.

ForceGhost

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Bournemouth, UK
I think he has photos on his iPhone syncd from another Mac.

But you cannot delete synced photos directly from the phone on some iOS devices (My old 3GS had the same problem).

The solution would be to sync with another computer but you would also loose some other data (Apps, Videos, Pictures ETC).

Since he is on a PC he cannot use ImageCapture.

I think that's what he means anyways.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The photos were downloaded from a camera and then put on the mac to then sync on my iphone so i can't delete them...so just wanted to know if it is possible to remove them on another computer or if i would need to restore the phone then back-up from icloud?

cPol

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
Lowell, MA
Here's OP's situation:

If you have one (or several) folders of photos on your computer, you can select any or all of those folders to sync with the iPhone. When you do, it creates an album for each of the folders you sync, just like the Camera Roll album, in the iOS Photos app. However, unlike the Camera Roll album, any photo that you add to the iPhone in this manner cannot be deleted through the Photos app interface.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Don't really need one with an ipad and iphone but wanted to know if i use their computer those albums can be removed.

Basically... your phone is synced with the ex's Mac. The iPhone will not let you remove Album pics from the iPhone (stupid limitation BTW).

Only 2 ways to do it.

1. Sync with another computer. This will remove anything that you synced from that computer... pictures, music, videos, apps...

So... while it would get rid of photos, it would get rid of all photo albums... and any synced music that you might enjoy currently.

or

2. IF YOU HAVE iCLOUD...

Go to Settings>General>Reset
and choose "Erase all Content & Settings (Only if you are on iOS 5 or higher).

This will erase everything and you will be back to setup the iPhone and restore your iCloud backup. All of your settings, camera roll, messages and apps will return, but all music, & album photos will be gone.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Basically... your phone is synced with the ex's Mac. The iPhone will not let you remove Album pics from the iPhone (stupid limitation BTW).

Only 2 ways to do it.

1. Sync with another computer. This will remove anything that you synced from that computer... pictures, music, videos, apps...

So... while it would get rid of photos, it would get rid of all photo albums... and any synced music that you might enjoy currently.

or

2. IF YOU HAVE iCLOUD...

Go to Settings>General>Reset
and choose "Erase all Content & Settings (Only if you are on iOS 5 or higher).

This will erase everything and you will be back to setup the iPhone and restore your iCloud backup. All of your settings, camera roll, messages and apps will return, but all music, & album photos will be gone.

Excellent thanks...think doing a reset then back-up is the best option then. guessing you can do this through ipad too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.