Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vic-E

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Earth.
Hello World !!:)
So like i said i have an iphone 3gs on version 4.0.1 with the baseband 5.13.04 and i need you guys to help me out with upgrading my iphone to the latest iOS without changing my baseband and then Jailbreaking it !
I have no clue of how all the redsnow and ultrasnow works at all i am a complete beginner at all this
Please please please help me out guys
THANK YOU !! :D

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hello World !!:)
So like i said i have an iphone 3gs on version 4.0.1 with the baseband 5.13.04 and i need you guys to help me out with upgrading my iphone to the latest iOS without changing my baseband and then Jailbreaking it !
I have no clue of how all the redsnow and ultrasnow works at all i am a complete beginner at all this
Please please please help me out guys
THANK YOU !! :D

You can use the newest version of redsn0w to create a custom firmware for 6.0.1, the jailbreak will be tethered depending on whether your 3GS has the old or new bootrom.

Also, to save hassle and headaches you can just purchase an IMEI unlock or contact your carrier to see if they'll unlock the phone for you.

Vic-E

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Earth.
You can use the newest version of redsn0w to create a custom firmware for 6.0.1, the jailbreak will be tethered depending on whether your 3GS has the old or new bootrom.

Also, to save hassle and headaches you can just purchase an IMEI unlock or contact your carrier to see if they'll unlock the phone for you.

Ok i have a question is the baseband only used so that you can jailbreak your iphone or dose it have other purposes cause am not even sure if my phone was factory unlocked or not (is there anyway to find out)
and if i have to make a custom firmware on redsnow i will stil have to use itunes to upgrade or is it done directly form redsnow ?
ow BTW its new bootrom cause the Model no starts with MC
Thanks buddy !! ;)

Last edited:

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Ok i have a question is the baseband only used so that you can jailbreak your iphone or dose it have other purposes cause am not even sure if my phone was factory unlocked or not (is there anyway to find out)
and if i have to make a custom firmware on redsnow i will stil have to use itunes to upgrade or is it done directly form redsnow ?
ow BTW its new bootrom cause the Model no starts with MC
Thanks buddy !! ;)

The baseband (modem firmware) determines whether you can unlock using ultrasn0w (your iPhone has the last unlockable one).

The custom firmware, will be made through redsn0w and you would need to upgrade through iTunes.

You can find out which bootrom the iPhone has by downloading and running f0recast.

Anyway which carrier do you have? A factory unlock would be much easier.

Vic-E

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Earth.
The baseband (modem firmware) determines whether you can unlock using ultrasn0w (your iPhone has the last unlockable one).

The custom firmware, will be made through redsn0w and you would need to upgrade through iTunes.

You can find out which bootrom the iPhone has by downloading and running f0recast.

Anyway which carrier do you have? A factory unlock would be much easier.

I Looked up how to figure out which bootrom i had so i found out that you could check it out with redsnow entering in pwned DFU mode and they clicking identify , i did that and it gave me this (SRTG: [iBoot-359.3] -- OLD BOOTROM) so am guessing am on old bootrom.
I even did it through f0recast it said
jailbreakable : yes
unlockable : yes (via ultrasnow)
untethered :yes
I am on prepaid Vodafone
So i can check if my cell is a factory unlock by inserting a diffrent chip into it right ? Because i already tried that and it worked fine :D
Thanks buddy !! Great help so far :D

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
There is an easier way, use redsn0w, you'll need blobs fir 6.01,
You can get them bu using TinyUmbrella

Download the 6.01 IPSW

Go to extras/even more/restore
Follow instruction using the IPSW and the blobs
During the process redsn0w will ask if you want to preserve your baseband, say yes to that.

Now jailbreak your 3gs on 6.01 with redsn0w

If your phone is factory unlocked it will activated by itself with a different sim in it.

If it is not factory unlocked you will have to unlock it with ultrasn0w or buy a IMEI Unlock online.

You can check your unlock status here.

Goodluck!

Vic-E

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Earth.
There is an easier way, use redsn0w, you'll need blobs fir 6.01,
You can get them bu using TinyUmbrella

Download the 6.01 IPSW

Go to extras/even more/restore
Follow instruction using the IPSW and the blobs
During the process redsn0w will ask if you want to preserve your baseband, say yes to that.

Now jailbreak your 3gs on 6.01 with redsn0w

If your phone is factory unlocked it will activated by itself with a different sim in it.

If it is not factory unlocked you will have to unlock it with ultrasn0w or buy a IMEI Unlock online.

You can check your unlock status here.

Goodluck!

The latest ver of Redsn0w doesn't have the the "extras" tab on it , although i downloaded an older ver which does .. can i use the older ver for the process and after i download the IPSW 6.0.1 can i first make it into a custom firmware without the baseband and then go ahead with the restore ??
THANKS a bunch buddy :D
Ok so i tried making a custom IPSW without the baseband using the latest ver of redsn0w but it said: "Unrecognized build"
And i also found out that my iphone isn't factory unlocked using this web site http://www.iphoneox.com can you guys check if its right

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Of course the latest vesrion of redsn0w 09.15b3 has the extras tab….

It's on the main screen underneath jailbreak

But if you could not find that i suggest you stop trying to upgrade the phone, it wil save you a lot of trouble, jailbreaking is not for everybody.

Vic-E

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Earth.
Of course the latest vesrion of redsn0w 09.15b3 has the extras tab….

It's on the main screen underneath jailbreak

But if you could not find that i suggest you stop trying to upgrade the phone, it wil save you a lot of trouble, jailbreaking is not for everybody.

Oops i ment the "even more" after the "extras" ... but your right the web page where i downloaded from had 09.10b4 as the latest version
and 09.15b3 dose have all the tabs.
My bad !!

Last edited:

Vic-E

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Earth.
ok i restored my iphone using redsnow with IPSW 6.0.1 but for the "recovery fix"
and "just boot" and "jailbreak" i had to use IPSW 6.0 cause the latest ver of redsnow dosnt suport the 6.0.1 for those processes after a few ups and downs it went through (tethered jailbreak )
i have cydia installed ultrasn0w but i keep getting no service any advice i tried turning on and off the airplane mode and resting the server settings already
THANK YOU !
Forgot to mention i have the same baseband as before 05.13.04
Got it working guys installed ultrasnow fixer 6.0 and rebooted !!
i have a question is heard there is an unthetered jailbreak for iphone 3gs old bootrom right ??
any idea how to do it ??
THANK YOU BOTH OFF YOU GUYS :D :D

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
just restart your device without the use of redsn0w, if it restarts in jailbroken state it's untethered.

Vic-E

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Earth.
just restart your device without the use of redsn0w, if it restarts in jailbroken state it's untethered.

It restarted but cydia , safari and the weather app dont work :)
if i want it to be an untetherd ver do i need to jailbreak it again ? by a diffrent process ?
Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.