Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
That's what I first read :rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 5.25 PM.png

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Nobody should be able to buy stuff before A$$le.
It should, like, be a law, you know, or sumpin'.
Maybe A$$le found out they couldn't trademark
the letter r and the number 2. Sadness.

Knock knock...
Who's there...
Troll

----------

Verizon, you mean

You might be right. I yahooed that and got lots of mixed answers. I think the key is that Droid is only on Verizon and other OEMs have Droid phones besides Moto, such as HTC.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I mean, it's not like apple doesn't have the money to outbid MSFT. I wonder why it felt it just wasn't worth it?

Apple was only rumored to be perhaps interested in the company because of a couple of patent filings. Perhaps they never were. After all they haven't been big with the gadget making of late. They even dropped their Bluetooth earpiece. And they didn't exactly rush to buy Nest etc

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
And seriously, Apple fans, writing MS as M$ is akin Chris Farley calling John Candy for "fat bastard". It is so ridiculous it's beyond belief - but hey it says a lot about individuals' critical sense and naivité.

I concur.

It was clever... once... ten or so years ago. Now it is hopelessly juvenile and trite.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
That's twice now that M$ has come up from under Apple to move into the gaming market, first with Halo and Xbox and now this. No big worries though, Apple still dominates in the mobile space with the awesome games on the App Store.

Mobile is a different story. Microsoft came up from under Nintendo and Sony with the XBOX in terms of sales even though the Nintendo GameCube has better games. But the PS2 deserved to lose. It sucks.

----------

I mean, it's not like apple doesn't have the money to outbid MSFT. I wonder why it felt it just wasn't worth it?

I don't see why buying this company would be valuable to Apple. First of all, it's Android home automation software, and there are other iOS home automation firms out there. Secondly, home automation is probably the ripest market for anyone with a little sense to kill off the current companies like Apple did in the music player market. I think Apple could easily do it from scratch.

The home automation systems are all OK or ancient hardware with terrible software. Some let you use an iPad to control it, but you have to use their clunky app that makes it pretty much useless, and you can't really do the programming yourself. My Lutron system has, guess what, 70KB of RAM in it. You can't make the program bigger than that. And it only has an RS-232 serial port.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012

Why would you substitue a dollar symbol ($) for the letter "P"? If you don't like Google, do you also type "G$$gle"? It makes sense for Microsoft haters (I am not a lover, but I am also not a hater) to use M$ since the dollar sign resembles an "S", but your pathetic attempt at insulting Apple fans makes no sense. Try "Crapple" or something more clever next time! Sadness. ;)

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
What a bad headerline for this article - totally confusing.

And seriously, Apple fans, writing MS as M$ is akin Chris Farley calling John Candy for "fat bastard". It is so ridiculous it's beyond belief - but hey it says a lot about individuals' critical sense and naivité.

But you didn't criticize the Microsoft fan who wrote A$$le...:rolleyes:

Antares

macrumors 68000
Do you have anything (cited references, friends/family that work for MS or R2) to support this claim?? If not, perhaps you're the one trying to bait folks. Or perhaps you just like to bash MS... if so, that's your prerogative but I think we can all see how biased you are. I guess the RDF is strong in you.

That's been part of MS's M&A strategy for years. So, it's reasonable to speculate that this was (at least part of) the reason for the purchase.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Steve Ballmer: Buying R2 and not doing anything with it is on the forefront of our minds!

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
?

That wasn't my point. My point was that M$ doesn't seem to have it together like Apple and Google. So when they heard that Apple and Google were courting R2, they thought "Hey, let's buy it - not sure why, but let's buy it before the others do"

Nice try, though - if you're trying to bait me.

What doesn't MS have together?

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah let me guess Microsoft spent $12 billion this time. At this rate, their cash pile will be gone by 2015.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Curious: does George still have a say in anything Star Wars-related anymore now that he cashed out?

Probably not since selling it to Disney, BUT as with any creator he can still have a "say" regarding his creations :D.

mkanet

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
It weird that some people still don't realize that Microsoft already dominates the home entertainment market with Xbox and support for Bluray, Media Center, Cablecard, etc on PCs with large HDTV displays ...and, may have first dibs at acquiring related resources because of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.