Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

butch10x

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010

day 3 || jan 3 - morning frost by Bhupesh Patel Photography, on Flickr

----------

Great detail. The greasy spots on the left bother me though. My attention gets drawn to them.

i agree, those spots bother me too. i was just being lazy not to setup my backdrop. i used a white wall as the background which has marks on it. i tried blurring them out, but I guess it didnt work all that well.

as far as details. i spent some time in photoshop to bring them out.

ChiggsTO

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Flying Squirrel

Mine for today... A flying squirrel thinking about making a run for some peanut butter set out on a plate a few feet away. Shot handheld at ISO 3600, 1/30th of a second, 200mm at f2.8.

Attachments

• Flying Squirrel.jpg
    Flying Squirrel.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 203

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012

Far be it for me to critique your pics, but i'm wondering if there's something wrong here with the color.
The backside of the sheep appears to have some yellow tint to it, added to a somewhat green halo right over the mid back.
Is that an artifact of some kind? Intentional?

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Far be it for me to critique your pics, but i'm wondering if there's something wrong here with the color.
The backside of the sheep appears to have some yellow tint to it, added to a somewhat green halo right over the mid back.
Is that an artifact of some kind? Intentional?

Not guilty, sir. The shepherds dye their sheep; that's how they recognise their own sheep! :)

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Not guilty, sir. The shepherds dye their sheep; that's how they recognise their own sheep! :)

You're usually on a first name basis with the sheep you photograph. What's wrong with that one. Or, could it just be anti-social?

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Bee shoot query

We are having a scorcher here today, well over the old century for you folks still on Fahrenheit. The bees are flocking to one of the fountains in our yard as you can see below.

I have a query for those knowledgable souls that visit here if I can, regarding lens choice for this shot in the future. My kit is limited in regard of lenses, just the 18-55mm and 55-250mm f/4's and a 50mm f/1.8. I was in aperture priority mode at f/18 to get as many of them in focus as I could. I used the 55-250mm for this shot in the shade as I could focus in on these guys without peeving them off, but as a consequence, the ISO rose to 3200, with a shutter speed of 1/40th of a second. Compared to my T3 the noise levels on the 60D are sort of acceptable to me at this ISO level, for web sharing only and no larger than 1024 pixels wide.

So, my query is in regard of the setup I used. How else could I possibly get better results with my kit? Should I have grabbed the 50mm f/1.8 prime and just stuck the tripod right in there really close?

I am grabbing a 17-40 f/4 L in a couple of days time, would that have worked any better? Or would I need to be even closer with that than the 50mm? I know it's exponentially better IQ than what I used, would that alone lower the noise somewhat at this high an ISO?

_MG_0119_zps73d5e4cb.jpg

nsebez

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Red Canoe

nsebez, on Flickr
Nikon D300
35mm 1.8g dx
f/5.6
1/320
iso 400

Comments and criticism greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
I'm lucky enough to live very near a national park.
Canon 60D - 24-105mm L

Attachments

• IMG_3102.jpg
    IMG_3102.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 238
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.