Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I have been hanging out on this site for a while, and I've noticed a few people bring Anime up from time to time. I wonder if some of you otakus would like to identify yourself.

As for me, I have too many DVDs to list. I've spent about $7000 on them over the years and have probably somewhere between 400 and 500. I have never pirated any of it.

While I'm here, let me generate discussion by saying that Eva is probably the worst anime I've ever seen in my life, but yet it seems quite popular amongst the masses.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I like Anime, i dont own quite as much as you but i do enjoy some of the Classics like Metropolis, Akira, etc. I also like Princess Mononoke, Ghost in the Shell, and some others that i cant seem to remember.

I remember one, Orange something or another, it was pretty good. Having a decent grasp on Japanese has helped me in watching Anime, and if i dont understand I usually just end up bugging my wife to translate it for me, or switching captions on :p

good stuff, id love some reccomendations if you have any

Ed

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I like some anime, but admittedly, I go to my local Blockbuster so I have a limited selection to choose from. ;) I've seen Eva, over 30 Kenshin ova (a friend had VCDs), Escaflowne, His and Hers Circumstance, Steel Heart Angels (?), a really short one called Video Girl Ai (?), something something about DNA, Nadesico (ova and the movie), Tenchi (way overrated I think), El Hazard, Rahxephon, er... I know I've seen more.... Ninja Scroll, Cowboy Bebop, er... I'll edit when I think of the others. Hee.

I don't like the drawings but do like the storyline for Escaflowne. I liked El Hazard and Rahxephon a lot, too.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
I like anime, although my brother is the real fanatic. I don't really own any. That's what Netflix is for. Almost done with the Ghost in the Shell series (not as good as the original movie). Next up will be Neon Genesis Evangelion and Initial D.

XNine

macrumors 68040
I am like you, many, many DVD's (and tons of OLD VHS). I've seena ton of stuff. Dragon Ball Z cannot even be considered Anime, and I wish death upon anyone that thinks it's decent animation/story/plot or characters. By the way, they ripped off the hair turning blond/spikey from Akira.

So, Eva being the worst anime? No. Eva is great. It has a point at the end of it. It's not your usual Giant Robot anime. Speaking of which, Giant Robo is awesome.

Samurai Champloo and GITS:SAC are the two series of late that are quite good. In fact, jsut finished the GITS:SAC series and have the metal collectors box and laughingman t-shirt. I could list most series/shows I have. I tend to stay away from msot movies as they're basically jsut crap now a days.

Thee's a lot of good Anime and a lot of bad. You know its bad when Akira, a film made in the mid 80's has superior animation to it (that and 98% of Akira was hand-drawn).

So, yes, I love anime.

Hentai? Sure, I own it, it's cool, but it's not my fav. I prefer real women. Ah, I love the japanese.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I use to watch all I could. Now I only watch Naruto... It just seems all the same to me now. It definitely doesn't interest me as much.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I recently got into anime and I must say that I love it. My first anime was Cowboy Bebop (awesomeness) and I'm currently watching these series on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim:

Inuyasha
Fullmetal Alchemist
Samurai Champloo
Paranoia Agent (odd, but interesting)
One Peice
s-CRY-ed

My favorites out of those are Inuyasha and Fullmetal Alchemist. I also plan to watch Neon Genesis Evangelon on Adult Swim when they start running it in October.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I don't mind watching it so long as it has a good story line and avoids incessant screaming for no real reason.

It tends to be better than some crap on T.V. and sometimes it is the crap on T.V. :rolleyes:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Am I the only one?

I find that after many years of watching anime and playing plot-heavy games that originated in Japan, that often there are holes in the plot (poor translation?) or plot twists that are simply bizarre to a gijin and chalk it up to the cultural differences. This happens so very very often (the most obvious is deference, something that simply doesn't exist in the same way in the west), but I always write it off. Consequently, I think sometimes I am too lenient in what is "good" anime, and what is "crap" anime.

It's gotta be really good for me to get into.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Cowboy Bebop is Godlike. Macross Plus: Godlike. SE Lain: Godlike.

I can't tell you how bored I am with FMA and Inuyasha. When I saw that girl shatter that jewel and it scatter all over the world, I was like : "great, now we'll have to sit through 300 episodes of this d@mn show just to see them get these little shards back." *sigh* Boring.

Naruto? Eh. I could care less, honestly.

Escaflowne was a good show too. Man was that awesome.

Well, I'll be going to NDK next month, hopefully get the last couple of Range Murata artbooks that I need. I got this awesome Last Exile metal/leather keychain there last year. Hopefully some decent musicians there and all. I dunno. I'm just rambling cos I'm so tired that I can feel myself nod off in my office. GAH!

sprstu

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
white bear lake, mn
I do like a bit of cowboy bebop, but the series I couldnt have not finished is Initial D. It may be because I am a car freak, but even the story was good. but thats just me. And to tell you the truth, I havnt really seen all that many shows, besides the fake crap on fox saturday morning that my lil bro used to watch.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
The Gundam series. I am finishing up with Gundam Seed Series now.
Inuyasha.

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
At risk of sounding like an old fogey...

My favorite "Japanimations" were Mighty Atom, Speed Racer, Kimba, Space Cruiser Yamato, Galaxy Express and Harlock. And later ones like... Akira.

Hey, what do you know, I am an old fogey!

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
I get most of my anime from cartoon network, like many others. but I foudn a few there I really like. I loved outlaw star, I enjoy dragon ball Z (though get frustrated by how a scene that should take 10 minutes gets spread out over three episodes). I loved the cowboy bebop movie, and the show was decent too (the movie was much better though in my opinion and had the best DVD sound mixing I think I've ever heard). Princess mononoke, spirited away, nausicca of the valley of the wind, all those are good. I though Kiki's delivery service was cute and very watchable (and a nice change of pace from the normal anime violence or sex stuff).

Ever see Urusie yatsura (not sure if I spelled that right). That's a funny show to watch drunk with some friends.

Grave of the fireflies is a really depressing but really well made movie.

A lot of anime I've watched is completely over rated. Evangellion I hated, Metropolis I didn't like at all. I never got into any of the Gundam series. samurai Champloo looks OK but hasn't spoken to me when I've watched bits of it. I thought Ninja Scrolls was ridiculous. I guess there's very specific things I like about anime, so I don't end up liking a lot of what other people I know who like it do.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
devilot76 said:
I like some anime, but admittedly, I go to my local Blockbuster so I have a limited selection to choose from. ;) I've seen Eva, over 30 Kenshin ova (a friend had VCDs), Escaflowne, His and Hers Circumstance, Steel Heart Angels (?), a really short one called Video Girl Ai (?), something something about DNA, Nadesico (ova and the movie), Tenchi (way overrated I think), El Hazard, Rahxephon, er... I know I've seen more.... Ninja Scroll, Cowboy Bebop, er... I'll edit when I think of the others. Hee.

I don't like the drawings but do like the storyline for Escaflowne. I liked El Hazard and Rahxephon a lot, too.

Over 30 Kenshin OVAs? Considering there were only 3, each with 3 eps, I find that a little hard to swallow. You sure you didn't see episodes of the TV series? :) I think there were 3 to start with, and then the 3rd recently made which showed an ending to his and Kaoru's life.

Kenshin OVAs were called Samurai X.

Steven

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Ed H said:
I like Anime, i dont own quite as much as you but i do enjoy some of the Classics like Metropolis, Akira, etc. I also like Princess Mononoke, Ghost in the Shell, and some others that i cant seem to remember.

I remember one, Orange something or another, it was pretty good. Having a decent grasp on Japanese has helped me in watching Anime, and if i dont understand I usually just end up bugging my wife to translate it for me, or switching captions on :p

good stuff, id love some reccomendations if you have any

Ed

Ed, you must be thinking of Kimagure Orange Road, which means something along the lines of "Whimsical Orange Road." It's about a typical anime high school love triangle drama with a twist -- the main character, whose name escapes me at the moment, has weird psychic powers he got from his mom's side of the family. It's pretty interesting, but the last few episodes are heart-wrenching because of what happens to poor Hikaru. :(

The classics are always good, but I never got into Akira. I like Anime with a bit more of a "fun" feel to it. Since you like some of the classics, I'd look for Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex on Cartoon Network's adult swim and give Bubble Gum Crisis and BGC 2040 a try. They're good cyber-punk animes.

Steven

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
yellow said:
Samurai Champloo.

I'm enjoying that quite a bit :) I think the same people who made Cowboy Bebop did that, because Mugen looks just like Spike don't you think?

Steven

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Onizuka said:
I am like you, many, many DVD's (and tons of OLD VHS). I've seena ton of stuff. Dragon Ball Z cannot even be considered Anime, and I wish death upon anyone that thinks it's decent animation/story/plot or characters. By the way, they ripped off the hair turning blond/spikey from Akira.

I didn't even remember the Akira hair thing. DBZ started in the late 80s, but it was just after Akira was released. However, I would submit to you that the DB Manga was made throughout the 80s, and the anime came years after. It's possible Akira was made after the hair changing stuff in the DBZ mangas were aleady released.

Steven

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
iindigo said:
I recently got into anime and I must say that I love it. My first anime was Cowboy Bebop (awesomeness) and I'm currently watching these series on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim:

Inuyasha
Fullmetal Alchemist
Samurai Champloo
Paranoia Agent (odd, but interesting)
One Peice
s-CRY-ed

I could not get into Paranoia Agent. I have the whole first season box of IY but haven't even watched yet. :( So busy with full time work and school. One Piece is kinda amusing. My ex's brother was really into that back in the day. There are 55 episodes total of it, I believe. I looked it up just last week. I wish that long nose guy wasn't on the show. He ruins it for me.

I only saw a little bit of s-CRY-ed. What is it about really? Looks like some guy with a metal arm punches things or something.

Steven

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
eva01 said:
I hate inuyasha and FMA, they are atrociously boring in my opinion.

I stick with Bebop, Eva, CCS, Nadesico

Nadesico is the first series I ever bought on DVD. I love it! It's hilarious, and a great spoof on all the cheesy robot anime. I recently picked up all 7 robotech boxes for $17 each from an ADV blowout sale.

You think IY is boring, but like CCS? :p At least it isn't as bad as Eva. The first 4 eps of Eva were great, and then until the last 2, it was just the same thing every day. They wake up, the penguin does its thing, what's her name chokes back a few cold ones, the angels come, they fight, someone has a problem with their Eva, and then nobody gets any sex0r.

Steven

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
strider42 said:
Ever see Urusie yatsura (not sure if I spelled that right). That's a funny show to watch drunk with some friends.

UY is my favorite anime. I have all 34 manga (first prints) and all the DVDs so far released by Animeigo. That is Rumiko Takahashi's first work. She also made Ranma 1/2 and Inu Yasha, as well as a few lesser known ones like Maison Ikkoku.

I will take a picture of some of my massive amounts of anime for everyone tonight. I only have a cam on my cell phone though. :(

Steven

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.