Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
For those of you that don't automatically upgrade to the latest and greatest, what feature would get you to upgrade to the new iPhone (5S or 6) that's released this year?

For me it simultaneous talk/data. I had it on my Thunderbolt, and although I don't need it very often, now that I don't have it I really miss it. I never realized how often I multitask on the web while on voice calls.

What about you guys?

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
For those of you that don't automatically upgrade to the latest and greatest, what feature would get you to upgrade to the new iPhone (5S or 6) that's released this year?

For me it simultaneous talk/data. I had it on my Thunderbolt, and although I don't need it very often, now that I don't have it I really miss it. I never realized how often I multitask on the web while on voice calls.

What about you guys?

AWS HSPA+ support on T-Mobile. I use an iPhone 5 now on T-Mobile and am in Orlando, FL which is in the process of being refarmed but I'll jump to the next iPhone if it supports AWS HSPA+.

And yes, I know that T-Mobile is getting an iPhone this year and figure AWS HSPA+ will be there, but who knows, I've seen TMO do dumb stuff in the past.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I seriously would like to see a finish that doesn't chip or scratch. I'm not being sarcastic.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010

What about you guys?

Unless I'm wrong, you don't need a new phone, you need a new wireless carrier. I can talk and surf without a problem.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Unless I'm wrong, you don't need a new phone, you need a new wireless carrier. I can talk and surf without a problem.

Yeah, I forgot this was a Verizon deal. But I'm pretty happy with my Fios, landline, and cell service bundle, not to mention I'm grandfathered in to unlimited 4G, so I'm staying.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Have an iPhone 4 (still works perfectly)

I've been trying out Windows phones and Android phones and their all quite nice.

Hardware wise, I think the iPhone still has the best although some of the other phones are quite nice.

Software wise, though I think iOS could use a revamp. Hopefully iOS 7 will unify iOS a lot more and make more visual appealing. Notification Center doesn't feel like its part of iOS (because it was taken from Android). Would like Apple to either update it or scratch and find a new way to implement notifications. Same with multitasking which could be implemented better than double tapping the home button. Perhaps an update lockscreen as well as home screen would do. Also Siri shouldn't take over a year to upgrade, for features that should be added, Apple should look at Google Now. Also I hope Apple doubles their efforts on Maps. Its going to take time but I hope their adding new features like traffic, transit, night time mode, and offline maps. Notes, Reminders, Calendar, Game Center could all be updated with better UI. Hopefully also more group collaboration features like group chat for FaceTime and Google Docs features for iWork.

So I would say iOS 7 and services. I really hope we don't see the same iOS and not that interesting features for iOS 7.

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
I think a small boost in wifi performance and a wider screen would be the make it so, move for me. Other than that, i'm going to pass on the 5s!

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
To the people who are waiting that Apple would make a larger/wider screen, that's is an impossible kind of wish that Apple wil never ever do it.Look at the Iphone 5 coomercial Thumb.Why do you think Apple doesn't change the screen to wider ? All I can say that don't expect a wider screen on Iphone.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
This is an interesting question.

I honestly don't know. Don't care much about NFC... it would be neat to be able to share things from phone to phone just by putting them close to each other (in other words I want the video that the wife made the husband for his trip that he's not supposed to watch on the plane... read: samsung commercial) but one, I'm not sure how secure it is and that kinda worries me and two, it does nothing for me unless my wife or someone else has the same functionality on their phone.

I'll probably skip the "S" update and just have my wife use that upgrade. Unless something revolutionary comes about.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I have the money but there's nothing I need or want. I know Apple will try and convince be I need another feature but I think iOS 7 will (should) be a bigger hit than the iPhone 6.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
iOS7 will keep me on the iPhone 5 for two years, when my upgrade is due I'll get the iPhone available at the time. That's all.

The iPhone 5 is so fast I can't imagine it ever lagging with new iOS big updates. But you never know.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
No scratches/dents/scuffs out of the box would be nice.

1) Same as above. After all, I never complain about pricing of any Apple product. It'd would simply be nice if it came out of the box looking like new. And no... I don't put it under a magnifying glass, I just take it out & use it.

2) A MUST have is a larger display, both in height & width. 4.8" would be nice. Sounds big till you see a Galaxy S3, then suddenly it makes sense.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
I skip the "S" phones, because upgrades are biennial. I would like NFC (or something like it), but more for Techtile functionality.

Also, a 4.3" Haptic display. THAT would make my ********** LIFE. :D

IDK if theres anything else really. ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.