Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abbas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Dubai
I have a 27" iMac on order but was wondering how it compares to the Thunderbolt display?

I could possibly just use my Mac Mini (mid-2011 Core i5 with 8GB RAM and 240GB SSD) with a TB Display. Sure, I wont get the NVIDIA GPU but I have my PS3 for gaming.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
In terms of the display itself, I believe they are exactly the same. Don't know whether the 27" is slightly better because the display is laminated to the glass on the new iMac's, but i've always assumed they are identical.

Abbas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Dubai
Any idea if the TB display has more or less glare than the iMac?

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
I have a 27" iMac on order but was wondering how it compares to the Thunderbolt display?

I could possibly just use my Mac Mini (mid-2011 Core i5 with 8GB RAM and 240GB SSD) with a TB Display. Sure, I wont get the NVIDIA GPU but I have my PS3 for gaming.

The LCD's are the same. The manufacturing process with the overlying glass has changed eliminating an air gap between and improving anti glare capabilities.

If it makes any difference, you may be interested in a Mac Mini paired with THIS display. It too is the same LCD panel as the Apple display but significantly less. You don't have the connectivity options of the Apple display but your needs may be met regardless with this setup at a fraction of the cost.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
The current TBDs are still based off the previous design, one that had more glare on the screens. The 2012 iMac's have been redesigned with a new lamination process, ending up with less glare.

No doubt that the next gen of TBDs will get the same treatment, but when will that happen, no one knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.