Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

waze_icon-150x150.jpg
Yesterday, TechCrunch reported that Apple was interested in purchasing Waze, the social turn-by-turn navigation company. According to the report, Apple was offering approximately $400 million plus an additional $100 million in incentives, but Waze was holding out for closer to $750 million.

TechCrunch's MG Siegler now reports that there is no deal in sight.
And while Mike Butcher also claimed multiple sources in his original post, you'll note that he was quick to qualify the information as a "rumor" (or in British parlance -- Mike is English -- a "rumour"). Because that's exactly what it was. This isn't a rumor (of a non-deal). There is no deal is happening. At least not now or anytime soon.
Siegler goes to note that Apple and Waze have in fact probably had low-level conversations about a closer partnership given that the two companies are already working together on Apple's mapping products, but he says that the talks are so far nothing more than the typical interactions seen between partner companies on a daily basis.

Article Link: No Deal in Sight for Apple to Acquire Waze

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Yesterday, TechCrunch reported that Apple was interested in purchasing Waze, the social turn-by-turn navigation company. According to the report, Apple was offering approximately $400 million plus an additional $100 million in incentives, but Waze was holding out for closer to $750 million.

TechCrunch's MG Siegler now reports that there is no deal in sight.Siegler goes to note that Apple and Waze have in fact probably had low-level conversations about a closer partnership given that the two companies are already working together on Apple's mapping products, but he says that the talks are so far nothing more than the typical interactions seen between partner companies on a daily basis.

Article Link: No Deal in Sight for Apple to Acquire Waze

In before someone says "WAZE is stupid. They should have sold out"

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I wonder how long its going to take Apple to get their maps on par. I guess we'll see "Maps 2" during the iOS 7 preview, with new features.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I wouldn't be surprised if this acquisition rumor came from someone at the Apple HQ saying to another employee , "Hey, have you ever used Waze?"

SonomaFlyer

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
Waze my yet "sell out" but their map is well reviewed and very popular and they know it. Why should they take what Apple offered when they are the "hot map app" at this point?

In the end, they'll likely get more than the $400m rumored price. Upwards of $600m isn't outside the bounds of reason. Apple is rather desperate to shore up their map program and we all know how much cash Apple has on hand (and overseas)=tens of billions of $$.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Waze my yet "sell out" but their map is well reviewed and very popular and they know it. Why should they take what Apple offered when they are the "hot map app" at this point?

In the end, they'll likely get more than the $400m rumored price. Upwards of $600m isn't outside the bounds of reason. Apple is rather desperate to shore up their map program and we all know how much cash Apple has on hand (and overseas)=tens of billions of $$.

Or they won't sell. DropBox didn't.

Some companies enjoy being independent. The people that work there aren't looking to be absorbed by another big company. There are many factors to be considered.

When/if they sell, however - both parties will negotiate. So no party here is/was "stupid" for walking away at this point.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
I doubt they could buy Google ... not even if it were for sale.

Not quite. Google has a market value of about $250 billion and Apple only has about $150 billion in cash.... of course that is a comparison of total market value to how much cash on hand a company has, so its pretty impressive.

----------

I wonder how long its going to take Apple to get their maps on par. I guess we'll see "Maps 2" during the iOS 7 preview, with new features.

Its being updated every day. Just recently I noticed a bunch of new POIs in Charlotte, NC.

----------

Or they won't sell. DropBox didn't.

Some companies enjoy being independent. The people that work there aren't looking to be absorbed by another big company. There are many factors to be considered.

When/if they sell, however - both parties will negotiate. So no party here is/was "stupid" for walking away at this point.

You have to admire people that can say no to quitting work and taking a billion dollars, so they can continue to get up and go to work every day. I would not be one of them. I'd much rather spend time with my family then hitting the office every day no matter what I was doing, especially if money was no longer a concern.

As an avid Apple fan though, I do wish both Dropbox and Waze would sell out! I think there is a huge benefit in buying Waze (for Apple) as it goes a long way towards looking like they are serious about fixing their maps reputation. Notice I said maps reputation not just maps. For 90% of us it works just fine. Apple may fix a hundred data points a day, but most will go un-noticed by the vast majority of us simply because we don't live in that area. Making big acquisitions makes a big public statement.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not quite. Google has a market value of about $250 billion and Apple only has about $150 billion in cash.... of course that is a comparison of total market value to how much cash on hand a company has, so its pretty impressive.

----------

Its being updated every day. Just recently I noticed a bunch of new POIs in Charlotte, NC.

----------

You have to admire people that can say no to quitting work and taking a billion dollars, so they can continue to get up and go to work every day. I would not be one of them. I'd much rather spend time with my family then hitting the office every day no matter what I was doing, especially if money was no longer a concern.

As an avid Apple fan though, I do wish both Dropbox and Waze would sell out!

A billion wasn't on the table. Nor would one person get that 1 billion anyway. I agree that it would be very nice to not (have to) work - but some people enjoy those challenges and growing a company.

That being said - why can't you just enjoy waze and dropbox "as is" - why do you wish they would sell out. What difference is it really. Both companies have great products.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Ahh, the good old rumour (yes, I'm British) mill.

Monday: Tim Cook nips into Starbucks

Tuesday: "Apple in advanced talks to purchase Starbucks!"

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Apple needs to review and update Apple maps. A couple of days after iOS 6 came out I went around my local area on Apple maps, put in missing locations, made error reports etc and still they haven't been amended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.