Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone5.jpg
According to a rumor from The China Times [Google translation], Apple is planning to adopt new touch panels with "Touch on Display" technology for the next iteration of the iPhone. The panels, which have been developed by Apple supplier Innolux, are said to be in testing at the moment.

Apple's iPhone 5 incorporated a display that uses in-cell technology, and it has been reported that problems with the recognition of rapid diagonal swiping on the screen are due to the display. That may be one reason Apple is looking at new touch panel technology.

The China Times concurs, pointing to the slow response speed of the iPhone 5's touch panels along with interference issues as the deciding factor behind the switch.

There isn't much information available about the Touch On Display panels, but they are said to be thin and tough, with a thickness of 0.5mm and improved optical performance and sensitivity.

The new display would presumably be used in Apple's iPhone 5S, which could be entering production as early as the first quarter of 2013.

Rumors about the next-generation iPhone are already surfacing, with a report earlier this week claiming that the iPhone may launch in mid-2013 in several different colors and sizes, and a leaked photo in December of what might be the rear shell of the next phone.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Be Testing New 'Touch on Display' Technology for Next iPhone

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
I have had zero problems with my iPhone 5 screen.

Then again I don't swipe rapidly in diagonal directions on a daily basis either.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
It will be the iPod touch 4th gen all over again, the glass was weak, so it bent and made ripple marks on the display (similar to pushing on LCD.) Plus, another disadvantage of this for the consumer is if you drop it, bye screen! the screen would shatter and you would HAVE to replace it

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I always skip one generation of iPhones and my next one is going to be iPhone5S!

vazquez1085

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
New York
I always skip one generation of iPhones and my next one is going to be iPhone5S!

Same here, but for me it usually isnt by choice its according my my contract. I've always been pretty lucky since the 4S was flawless compared to the 4 and hopefully the 5S fixes whatever paint issues the 5 had

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Same here, but for me it usually isnt by choice its according my my contract. I've always been pretty lucky since the 4S was flawless compared to the 4 and hopefully the 5S fixes whatever paint issues the 5 had

dittos.

This would be for the real iPhone 7 then, right folks?;)

kwiiboy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
I have an iPod Touch 5th gen which is reported to have the same screen as the iPhone 5. I have no problems with it. It's great.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I'm really looking forward to the iPhone 5S.. The timing is convenient, since the launch will coincide with my contract availability!

I'm hoping they will continue to have the white and silver one.

tuamtuem

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
I have no problem with the touch responsiveness and resolution of current display. It works great.

One thing I would like to hear from Apple is that it can discover the "new material" that can make the LCD part more durable!!!

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Also Infinity Blade! But I have yet to encounter this 'problem'.
You people are scrolling it wrong. :p

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
besides fruit ninja?

Someone that has this issue with 'normal' usage.

Many would argue that games are one of the most "normal" things you can do with an iDevice. What's "normal" for you, may not be for someone else. As a matter of fact, my 9 year old son and my 10 year old daughter each have an iPod Touch. They "normally" use it to play games and rarely use the other features.

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Software Problem?

I am becoming more convinced that this is a software "problem". I can replicate this effect on my iPad 4 if I swipe my finger vertically or diagonally and trigger Notification Center. Even when I don't trigger Notification Center fully (i.e., It slides back up to be hidden), as long as I keep moving my finger, screen scrolling is unresponsive.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
It better have other benefits than just solving that one problem. Otherwise, no one will really care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.