Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
What do you guys think of the design of the last couple of iPhones? They are hard to hold, uncomfortable in the hand. The iPhone 3GS with its curved back was nice to hold. I dont get why Apple has stuck with the iPhone 4 design. I want an iPhone with the iPod touch design. Some part could be plastic so it doesnt cover necessary 3G and GPS signals. One example is the HTC Legend. Should Apple redesign the iPhone?

BugBytes

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
I own a 4S and have handled a 5 and can say I have no problems with how they feel, so I'd say no.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
My 4S feels uncomfortable to hold without a case on it, but that's only because I'm just afraid it's gonna slip out of my hands (world's most expensive bar of soap lol). When it's in the Bumper case, it feels fine to me.

CarlCoxx

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
OP i think you crazzzzzy hahaha. The iPhone 5 is a engineering feat and a work of art which feels great in the hand! I remember thinking it felt TOO light but now after holding this and a iphone 4S, the iphone 5 feels so right

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
i agree i thought it was too light at first but now the 4s feels heavy and ugly being so short lol. i never bought into an apple product until the 5 came out because it HAD to be this screen size or else

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
While the iP4 and beyond are a tad on the uncomfortable side to hold when I'm in bed laying on my back in certain situations, I prefer this design for when I'm making calls, especially in the heat of the summer. With the 3G and 3Gs I found I would hold the phone closer to my palm and if it's really hot outside, sometimes I would come away with a nasty plastic back. With this newer design I generally hold the phone just with the tips of my fingers, leaving a big airflow gap between my palm and the phone.

Sounds gross, I know, and no I'm not overweight, but I do sweat easily (Iraq sucked!) so this is actually a welcome change for me.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Too small yes, but uncomfortable to hold? I didn't get that.

I do prefer the rounded curve designed of the 3gs but the 4 and up isn't a problem for me.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I agree with OP. Both the iP4 and iP5 would be more comfortable with a rounder profile. There is a reason your steering wheel doesn't have square edges like these phones.

The iP5 is much better than the iP4 in that it is lighter and not as slippery. I use mine without a case and I would not have done so with the iP4.

I had a Ringke Slim case on my iP5 for a couple of weeks and found it add quite a bit of comfort to the phone. It doesn't take much: just a bit of rounding around the edge will make a huge difference.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Then skip the 5S and wait for the 6. We will probably see the 6 looking like the back of the new iMacs. This design will bring the curve back. Just hope apple heads that way.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
To the OP if your finding it uncomfortable to hold. Maybe you should consider a samsung s3? That way you can use your phone work both your hands at the same time.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
The last 3 generations of iPhones are some of the least ergonomic devices that Apple has released. Hopefully, future generations will adopt the same design as the iPad mini.

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
Why would you post this? This is has no reason to be posted here.. If you dont

Last edited:

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Why would you post this? This is has no reason to be posted here.. If you dont like the feel of it return it or suck it up don't go complaining to message board..

I am not OP, but I see plenty of reasons.

1. To see if others have the same experience. On this forum, people share their opinions.

2. If others do have the same experience, what they do about it.

3. Hope of improving future products. If enough people feel the same way, perhaps Apple will consider making some changes. It's the internet, and what you post no matter where, is available to any researcher with a bit of clue.

Furthermore, OP may find the iPhone 5 somewhat uncomfortable to hold, but there are many other positive aspects about the phone that outweigh the original complaint and decide to keep it. So it's not a black and white issue as "if you don't like it, then return it."

Ask yourself, have you ever posted a complaint to this message board? If you don't remember, look at your posting history. Hint "wifi..."

alan111

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
I have to agree with the OP. The iPhone 5 (along with with the 4 and 4S) is not comfortable to hold, as compared to a curved back phone. I have been trying to find an ultra slim case that will emulate the old design of the 3GS, but have not come across any.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
If you don't like it, replace it with the device of your choice.

That's not a good option every time you find one aspect about something in life that you don't like. I bet that if that is your attitude, you can't survive in this world. Name anything, I bet there is something about it that you don't like. I bought a car. I like it except for the spare tire access. Do I return it?

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I agree with the OP. The iPhone 3 and 3gs were beautiful phones to hold and talk on. The square iPhone 4 design and 5 designs are difficult to hold and not as easy to text on. That said they're a lot thinner and look a lot cooler than the 3GS does now.... but I thought the 3GS was almost perfect in the way a phone should be designed (with the back). I never had a 3GS but it was the phone I wanted back in the day. I've owned a 4s and 5.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
That's not a good option every time you find one aspect about something in life that you don't like. I bet that if that is your attitude, you can't survive in this world. Name anything, I bet there is something about it that you don't like. I bought a car. I like it except for the spare tire access. Do I return it?

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism.

It's all in the perception.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Why the hell does this matter?

Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with the OP...how can you not see how it matters? It's a HAND HELD device. The square/brick design since the 4 has big my biggest complaint other than screen size. It's not all that ergonomic.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I used my faithful 3GS until last November when an iPhone 5 replaced it. I must admit to preferring the 3Gs's rounded contours to the angular edges of the "5". However the latter is sooo much lighter and faster!

In the final analysis, one soon gets used to the different shape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.